The State of the Engineering Profession?

92NSX said:
Heck, I'm not even smart enough to read that ad.....

Sarcastic Mode - what else is new, with a post such as this? :D

Serious Mode - what specifically about this ad do you need help with, in understanding? :confused:

One company (or one person for that matter) with a heavy-handed attempt (and I use that term loosely!) to hire engineers does not make a complete snapshot of the engineering profession (thankfully!).

Hmm, I wonder why he's looking for new employess?:confused:

I kind of understand this guy. I work in the IT field since before the 1997/2000 boom begun and I know a lot of people that created, owned and... closed their start-up. The one that still survive do not make any profit after the employees salaries are taken out. Sometime passion for the products they are working on makes them work for lower-than-average salaries... this guy seems to look for people willing to work in an interesting field for a salary that is not what they would get in some (boring?) huge company.

To each is own... I do not see why that dumb columnist (see link in the middle of the above webpage) has to complain about! :rolleyes:

I have no problem with this note. I think it's a bit over the top in some places but it's obvious the writer thinks this is important and wants to clear the air before anyone thinks otherwise. And his comments on jobs leaving for overseas (ie: lower paying) positions is correct too.

What he writes is common in ANY profession. If you want to succeed you must prove your worth, think up profitable changes on your own and bring in customers.

Wow,

Now that is a dose of reality for you. I really do not know what to think of that. I can understand why many manufacturing positions are going overseas. Most manufacturing jobs require a lot of unskilled labor (jobs most US folks would not want). Companies need to do this to compete.

I am not an engineer or developer so I really do not have an inside view of this industry, but I do know that engineers are smart folks who have a lot of education. I like to think that American companies try to keep those jobs in the U.S.

Perhaps some of you who are engineers can weigh in on this.

92NSX said:
Heck, I'm not even smart enough to read that ad let alone apply for one of those jobs. :D
Guess I'll have to stick with what I'm doing already.:(

I realize NOW that some people (Andy) thought I was serious. However I wasn't, merely poking fun at someone using such terminology for a job description. I am plenty smart enough to read the ad, you will soon find out just how smart I am.

Back