The Next NSX Should be...

I'm sure all of us have our desires of what the next NSX should be. Here are my thoughts on the design targets for the next NSX. I encourage you to add your own, but keep them defensible from a feasibility standpoint. Don't say it should go 0-60 in 3.0 seconds, weigh 2500 pounds, have a V-10 and cost $45k, to use an extreme example.

Engine Location: Mid-rear.

Rationale: To me, it is not a next gen NSX without this design configuration. The handling characteristics are also appealing. Needs no explanation, really.

Engine Displacement: 4.0 - 4.5 Liter V-8

Rationale: The V-8 is in keeping with Honda's long established philosophy of not having the biggest engine, either from a displacement or a # of cylinders perspective. They have been about doing more with less via an intelligent application of technology. I also think the V-8 has a LOT more applicability across their product lineup than the V-10 that is under development. I have also read that there are concerns related to the inherent durability of the V-10 configuration, and engine durability has long been a defining characteristic of the Honda brand.

Engine Design Targets:

Minimum Engine Horsepower: 400HP
Minimum Engine Torque: 350 lb./ft
Engine Redline (Minimum): 8,000 RPM
Minimum Efficiency: 20MPG City/30MPG Highway

Performance Design Targets:

0-60MPH: 4.0 seconds
0-100MPH: 9.0 seconds
1/4 Mile: 12.0 seconds @ 120MPH
Top Speed: 190MPH
Skidpad: 1.0g
70-0MPH Braking Distance: 150 ft.
Weight: 3,000 pounds
Coefficient of Drag : .30

Transmission:

6 speed manual with optional F1 style paddle shift

Suspension:

Independent Double Wishbone, just like the original.
Optional electronically adjustible suspension (is this possible with wishbone configuration?)

Technology:

Satellite Radio Ready
iPod/mp3 Jack
In Dash CD Changer
Optional NAV

Misc.:

Seating Capacity: 2
Cargo Space: 8.0 cu. ft.
Fuel: 18.0 U.S. gallons
Styling: As timeless, exotic, and classic as the first one.
Construction: Aluminum, carbon fiber, fiberglass composite, other weight reducing materials as needed.
Dry sump lubrication system.
Wheels: 18" front/19" rear diameter.

BASE PRICE: $100,000 U.S.

Rationale: Arguably, this is the wrong strategic path for Honda/Acura to take. That being they are in the middle of the "extreme performance value" Z06 and the "handbuilt exotic" markets. I am operating under the assumption that this is to be a halo car for the Acura/Honda brand and that they are using it to showcase their latest and greatest technology. You could certainly argue that they should shoot for a lower price point (say $50k) and offer much less performance and I wouldn't disagree with that strategy either. However I think the brand needs a halo car and this should be it given the racing heritage of Honda (and now Acura is trying to develop their own). I think they can make this car at a profit if they abandon the hand built, special factory business model they used on the original NSX. I also think even if this car loses money on its own, it builds brand recognition and also serves to showcase their technology that will ultimately trickle down into their other models. That's one major reason why I think going the V-8 route is the better path than going the V-10 route.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, now it's up to you. Feel free to poke holes in my setup or submit your own. I'm looking forward to the ensuing discussion.

An Exige with Honda build quality and powered by the fabulous F22C1. :) The number of cylinders a car has is over rated. :biggrin:

If they keep it light enough you don't need torque. :tongue:

Otto

An Exige with Honda build quality and powered by the fabulous F22C1. :) The number of cylinders a car has is over rated. :biggrin:

Otto

I'd buy that if they could make it less than 2000 lbs. I dont want no stinking AC or radio either! Hand crank rollup windows are OK if it saves a few pounds. Just dont style it like the ASCC.

-- Joe

Otto

thats a good idea for S2000 replacement. i think no ac; no radio is too much, it will be better with 2500 pounds including radio, AC and power everything hardtop, aproaching 300hp. and later offer Type R version withought all those things.

You guys are nuts. They will sell about 8 of those. 6 to you guys and 2 to two other exige customers in the country. You guys are way too hardcore for most people's tastes.

Liquid there is only one thing I hope for in the next NSX, that it not be called the next NSX. I wish for the name NSX to die with our generation of cars. That will seal it as a classic and resale value will stay up. It won't confuse people either, I don't want to have to explain to people why my NSX is so different than the "new NSX".

Back