The Legend Of Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vfPcPqpLbk

03-09-01.jpg

I'm sort of an underground huge fan of Bruce Lee. I have studied his various nutrition articles/opinions as well as his workout/training techniques. And of course, I've also watched all his films several times although I'm not sure how much they correlate with the actual man. Very unfortunate he passed away so young and with such discipline towards his health.

My personal diet and exercise routines mirror his with a stronger focus on strength and less on cardio.

Yeh his bodyfat composition was just hint below 3% at 127lbs just before his death. Doctors note that if your body fat drops below 4% its possible for your organs to shut down and immune system to become weak. His experimenting with steroids and Opiams ultimatly caused his death. His contributions not limited to philosophy, motion pictures and mixed it with sports, while introducing the doors to Asian Boxing arts to the west.

Sahht on an interesting note his punchs and kicks were so fast that the cinemetographers had difficulty clearly capturing the moves on Camera(old technology) and had him slow down :)

I'm sort of an underground huge fan of Bruce Lee. I have studied his various nutrition articles/opinions as well as his workout/training techniques. And of course, I've also watched all his films several times although I'm not sure how much they correlate with the actual man.
In terms of actual combat, his fighting in real life were NOTHING like the movies. When you search deeper into rare documentaries and footages,
as well as interviews from those who knew him first hand, and
training in the original art he started with, you get an idea. (I'm not talking JKD here)

Sahht on an interesting note his punchs and kicks were so fast that the cinemetographers had difficulty clearly capturing the moves on Camera(old technology) and had him slow down :)
Correct. As a matter of fact, you get a glimpse of his speed in several retakes from the documentary with the Original Game of Death footages, where Kareem chased Bruce around the room. There's a few others in his HK films, during certain combat scenes, which he revealed his Wing Chun speed applications; LapSao & PakSao hand applications. It is quite tricky to catch because he choreographed them within sequences in which he is also punching like a boxer. The man was deadly fast.

Just think of how much he affected the world. WOW. Sadly some don't even realize his influence.

I wish as a youngster i had a father that sent me to martial art school. I have a high respect for the arts but also bruce lee even though i am a noob I did know of the fact of how low his body fat % was. That is just incredible.

Years ago, I used to train at IMB Academy, a martial arts academy started by 3 of Bruce's students. It's a serious training facility. You can see Dan Inosanto (I in IMB) fighting Bruce Lee in Game of Death. They used to tell us stories about Bruce:

Standing straight up, Bruce used to hold a 115 lbs. barbell in front of him with his arms outstretched, for about 30 minutes. Try holding it for 30 seconds.

There was this 3-4 ft diameter kicking bag (like a punching bag) hanging from the ceiling. I'm sure it weighed at least a few hundred lbs. Most people can kick it full force and it'll swing back and forth a few feet at the most. Bruce used to make it touch the ceiling with his kicks.

I could take him.

Do you think Jet Lee, Jacki Chan, (NEO :) )or anyone nowadays could stand a chance..?

No.

I think some of those 'facts' about him were a little over the top. As mentioned before, I do not underestimate his abilities nor ignorant to his training routines. If he wasn't in the 125-135lbs range they would be much more believeable.

For instance, have you actually tried holding a dumbell as mentioned out in front of you of comparable weight? I tried this one myself. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was 135lbs at the time, 115lbs being 85% of his body weight. I am around 9-10% body fat, 160lbs and a couple inches taller at 5'9. All strength aside, after around 50% of my body weight or 80lbs fully extended in front of me, I begin to fall fowards, regardless of my strength. To be proportional to Bruce Lee, I'd need to use a 135lbs dumbell with slight adjustments for my arm length and height compared to his as well as our differing body fat %'s although it might be irrelavent in this particular situation. There are only a couple ways I can see him being able to hold up such weight in that particular fashion, again regardless of strength. One is to lean back sharply so that the weight is almost over his feet even with his arms fully extended in front of him. The other is to squat very low the ground with your feet way out in front of you-either position is awkward enough I'd think that would also have been mentioned. Anything is possible but you have to glance at the laws of physics every once in a while.

I have read several times about slowing the camera down for him, versus today when they speed it up although the abilities of cameras were much different. If you want to know the real deal about any individual who appears to have mastered a specific field-just ask those who are also great around him. Chuck Norris for instance puts Bruce Lee in to a league of his own.

I think some of those 'facts' about him were a little over the top. As mentioned before, I do not underestimate his abilities nor ignorant to his training routines. If he wasn't in the 125-135lbs range they would be much more believeable.

For instance, have you actually tried holding a dumbell as mentioned out in front of you of comparable weight? I tried this one myself. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was 135lbs at the time, 115lbs being 85% of his body weight. I am around 9-10% body fat, 160lbs and a couple inches taller at 5'9. All strength aside, after around 50% of my body weight or 80lbs fully extended in front of me, I begin to fall fowards, regardless of my strength. To be proportional to Bruce Lee, I'd need to use a 135lbs dumbell with slight adjustments for my arm length and height compared to his as well as our differing body fat %'s although it might be irrelavent in this particular situation. There are only a couple ways I can see him being able to hold up such weight in that particular fashion, again regardless of strength. One is to lean back sharply so that the weight is almost over his feet even with his arms fully extended in front of him. The other is to squat very low the ground with your feet way out in front of you-either position is awkward enough I'd think that would also have been mentioned. Anything is possible but you have to glance at the laws of physics every once in a while.

I have read several times about slowing the camera down for him, versus today when they speed it up although the abilities of cameras were much different. If you want to know the real deal about any individual who appears to have mastered a specific field-just ask those who are also great around him. Chuck Norris for instance puts Bruce Lee in to a league of his own.

I know the stories sound like they defy the laws of physics. It is tough to believe, I know. But don't judge what you think is possible based on what you or I could possibly do. You'd be a believer too if you heard the first hand testimony and saw the pictures of him training.

For instance, have you actually tried holding a dumbell as mentioned out in front of you of comparable weight? I tried this one myself. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was 135lbs at the time Anything is possible but you have to glance at the laws of physics every once in a while.

Bruce Lee displayed the ultimate potential of a human body.

I can understand and respect what you're saying.
Here's the thing; there are certain ways to train the human body
to condition it's balance and strength when at its weakest.
For example, in Wing Chun,
they condition A LOT on the weak things we don't pay much attention to.
The stance itself, creates an inner balance, cultivating oneself to
be able to flow with forces applied at them. It's a little hard to describe
with words. I'm not saying these traditional drills will make you
a superman nor be invincible in ufc fights, but it does create wonders,
and makes you appreciate the knowledge of the old masters.
An idea for you; (and for the record, we get marines, wrestlers, officers
who come in to try the course, and cannot handle this conditioning drill)
You stand in the traditional stance and extend both arms frontward.
You don't have to keep it straight, you can bend it, but you do have to
keep it high. Try keeping your back straight. DO that for an hour.
Then try it one hand at a time. When you build up your strength on that,
add weights.
When, you have reach a deep understanding of this so called inner strengh,
you move on to your legs. :cool:
Here's Yip Man, with weights.

yip1.jpg

I can understand and respect what you're saying.
Here's the thing; there are certain ways to train the human body
to condition it's balance and strength when at its weakest.
For example, in Wing Chun,
they condition A LOT on the weak things we don't pay much attention to.
The stance itself, creates an inner balance, cultivating oneself to
be able to flow with forces applied at them. It's a little hard to describe
with words. I'm not saying these traditional drills will make you
a superman nor be invincible in ufc fights, but it does create wonders,
and makes you appreciate the knowledge of the old masters.
An idea for you; (and for the record, we get marines, wrestlers, officers
who come in to try the course, and cannot handle this conditioning drill)
You stand in the traditional stance and extend both arms frontward.
You don't have to keep it straight, you can bend it, but you do have to
keep it high. Try keeping your back straight. DO that for an hour.
Then try it one hand at a time. When you build up your strength on that,
add weights.
When, you have reach a deep understanding of this so called inner strengh,
you move on to your legs. :cool:
Here's Yip Man, with weights.

yip1.jpg

Interesting and I appreciate the response. Like you said, it could just be a matter of understanding vs 'thinking'.

I cannot do pushups on my thumbs yet [another famous bruce lee accomplishment], but I can do many pushups on my fingers. More recently I have completed probably my most difficult body weight exercise to date. It's doing pushups in a hand stand position while on your fingers. I can only do one and it's quite painful but nevertheless it's rewarding. I almost broke my neck several times before completing it as it's difficult to catch yourself once/if your fingers give way.

Yip Man is the Man!!

I trained in Wing Tsun for a few years which is what Bruce Lee trained and eventually developed into Jeet Kun Do. During the training we actually found out why he keeps touching his nose when he's in his stance etc.

Awesome stuff!

Miss my days of being fit!

I think some of those 'facts' about him were a little over the top. As mentioned before, I do not underestimate his abilities nor ignorant to his training routines. If he wasn't in the 125-135lbs range they would be much more believeable. .

He raised his body weight to 155lbs at 5-7 1/2inchs tall but felt speed and muscle needed to be in proportion in fighting and shed down to 140lbs where he felt confident. His Bodyfact Composition even at this weight was well under 7-8% from the photos.

BTW Chuck Norris was asked who would win in a fight between him and Bruce? Taking into mind that Chucky was a 7 time Karate champion at the time his response was " Bruce Lee would be the winner, no one trained as Bruce did or had the dedication". IMO Bruce opened the door for Arnold, Rambos & Chucks.

Bruce trained in WC because he was not full chines but partly German/caucasion so he was not allowed to train in other forms of Gungfu, but was happy to accept WC as it was more street fighting and Bruce always considered himself a street fighter not a competition fighter this is according to his Brother in Seattle.

He had a small class in Seattle where he trained prior to opening his Oakland studio. I had the privelage of training with kelly worden in my youth who trained with Jessy Glover Bruces first student in Seattle, we trained in all JKD concepts and not limited to Escrima, Kali, kickboxing etc..

The way he looked and moved, one could tell he trained constantly.......I wonder how he would fare in a MMA match ? Interesting thought....If you want a different perspective on him, see if you can find Albert Goldman's story on him from the January (or February) 1983 Penthouse. I would look for it and try to cut and paste it here, but my work server firewalls everything....

I think a Wing Tsun practitioner once entered an MMA match (ages ago) and got annihilated!!

I think a Wing Tsun practitioner once entered an MMA match (ages ago) and got annihilated!!

Chucky Norris would say those who fight MMA would not last in www.worldcombatleague where take downs are not allowed and you have to prove your stand up skills:biggrin:

Is this a chinese movie? Obviously not Hollywood but I am wondering if it will be available on DVD with English subtitles?

Back