The Garage! Where's the Beetle!?

What happened to my wife's Beetle!? It got eaten!!!

Viper_VW.jpg

One of the most undeniably fun cars on the planet...

------------------
Got dat ol' vee six cilnder inder?

http://www.nextestdrive.net

[This message has been edited by scottjua (edited 06 June 2002).]

Could that beetle been eaten by a very large asp?

Hehe. That Viper is sweet. I love the blue and white edition.

Perhaps you could shed some light on the differences between driving the viper and the NSX. I go over to the VCA site a lot. I really love Vipers.

Instead of repeating my views on the viper here I will refer you to: http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2841

AS for the NSX compared to...Here goes...without making it a redundant rehash of everything everyone here already knows:

Unlike the Viper the NSX is very EASY to get in and out of...the Ergonoimcs are spot on and everything inside the cabin is exactly as it should be. Visibility isn't really an issue in both...but the NSX has a slight advantage over the Viper's big B pillar. The view you get is very different indeed in that in the NSX you feel a littl emore connected to the road with the low cowl view. The Viper has a sea of hood to overlook.

Both cars are low to the ground and it's advisiable to take bumps and inclines with caution...but here I can't say which is easier to live with. It's a toss up.

The gearbox on the NSX is by far the better built tranny. The shifts are smooth, and precise. There are shorter throws and everything slips right into place with no problems. However I PREFER the stiffer and better feeling clutch of the Viper. The NSX is inherently easy to drive...but as I have said before if my little wife can drive it...it's not too hard. I like the feedback of a heavy clutch pedal...that's just me.

As for engine...the Viper has the NSX beat hands down. It's not high strung like the NSX, but the gobs and gobs of horsepower and monster torque are something not of this world. It's VERY addicting indeed. BUT the NSX isn't slow or really lacking...it just feels different. On a track both are capable motors but I think the NSX would reward the average driver better than the Viper would. Both are great for pros...but clearly the motor in the Viper has the edge.

Chassis dynamics are different in both. In the Viper there's no TCS, no ABS, and it FEELS heavier than the NSX for sure. However the Viper turns and grips superbly well...better than expected. The NSX is definitely more balanced and seems to be faultless. It doesn't make you sweat like the viper does, and the NSX seems to communicate in a language much more understandable than the Viper. That's not to say that the Viper is uncommunicative...it's just harder to understand the limits. The NSX looks out for you...where the Viper will bite you out of spite for you not listening to it. Both suspensions are great but I think the NSX has the edge in engineering. Althoguh the NSX suffers from too small a tire in stock form making the grip level a bit less than desired...but it isn't really deficient to say.

As far as reliability goes...I think from what I have read and witnessed the NSX has the edge here. I don't think the Vipers has proved to be near 75% as bulletproof as the NSX has over time. The NSX is a daily driver if one chooses it to be with good manners in the wet coupled by the TCS help. The Viper is a car to park in the garage unless it's sunny and even though it's built fromt he parts bin...the maintenance is probably very pricey. (?)

Overall the NSX is confidence inspiring to drive and the Viper is more ego boosting. I love them both...but if I could only have one...I think the NSX is where my head tells me to go. It is hard to deny the Viper's presence...but on an owenership basis...if you can only have one...you win in all points with an NSX in my mind. However...be careful once you sample the Viper...you will doubt all things your head tells you.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Got dat ol' vee six cilnder inder?

http://www.nextestdrive.net

Back