The Chevy Caprice (G8) Police Car Is Back!

500x_2011_Chevy_Caprice_Police_Car.jpg

After a 15-year absence patrolling U.S. streets, an all-new law-enforcement-only Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) joins GM's fleet in 2011. Although it's built on the same rear-wheel-drive Camaro and dearly-departed Pontiac G8-spawning Zeta platform, it's not a G8 sedan.

500x_Chevy-Caprice-PPV-Aus-02.jpg

Chevrolet plans to make the announcement of their new police cruiser today at the annual International Association of Chiefs of Police convention, in Denver, Colorado. Because we asked, we've been given an exclusive look at the details of the new car they plan to begin taking orders on next year with cars set to hit the streets in early 2011.

Contrary to reports at the end of last week by a number of auto outlets, we're now able to exclusively report GM's new police cruiser brings back the old Chevy Caprice name. It also will not be a re-badged Pontiac G8 sedan. Instead, the new Chevy uses the longest wheelbase version of the Zeta platform — 118.5" — making it almost four inches longer than the 114.7" wheelbase Pontiac G8 sedan. If that bigger-than-G8 number sounds familiar, it should — it's the same length as the Holden VE Ute, the Holden Statesman and the Middle Eastern Chevy Caprice and...drum roll, please...the Pontiac "El Camino" G8 ST. That's right folks, the new police car from Chevy is as close to the El Camino as we're coming here in the U.S. We'll give you a moment to clean up any coffee you've just spit up.

Done? Good, because there's more to the story. Chevy sounds like it's setting up the Caprice to not only meet the bar set by the police vehicle competition, but to blow it away. The long wheelbase Zeta-platformed Chevy sits right in the middle of the Ford Crown Vic's 114.7" wheelbase and the larger Dodge Charger's 120.0" wheelbase.

Under the hood, GM says the Caprice will have a 6.0-liter LS2 V8 engine rated at an estimated 355 HP and 384 lb-ft of torque mated to a six-speed auto transmission. Power output compares favorably to the 340 HP HEMI in the Dodge Charger police edition and absolutely blows away the Ford Crown Vic's 250 HP 4.6-liter V8.

500x_Chevy-Caprice-PPV-04.jpg

We're told that bigger engine will deliver an expected best-in-class 0-to-60 time of under six seconds along with a similarly best-in-class top speed. But, for those forces uninterested in the super-sized 6.0-liter eight-cylinder engine, we're also told a V6 engine will be offered beginning in the 2012 model year.

The Caprice with both engine sizes will recieve the same police car-specific vehicle systems like high-output alternator and standard 18-inch steelies with bolt-on center caps and will ride on a heavy-duty four-wheel independent suspension and a "police-calibrated stability control system."

Chevy's cop competitive streak continues to the interior with optional compatibility available for in-dash, touch-screen computer technology (by relocating the standard radio to the trunk), two trunk-mounted batteries, with one of them dedicated to powering various police equipment and complimentary special packages such as spotlights; lockouts for the power windows and locks; and an "undercover" street-appearance package. Good luck with the "undercover" part considering there's no civilian version of the Caprice PPV.

Even the front seats have been sculpted to "pocket" an officer's equipment belt, with the foam density of the seatback and cushion insert surfaces designed to conform to the shape of an equipment belt's various items, allowing the officer's back to rest properly on the seatback surface. The barrier between the front seat and rear seat is also positioned farther rearward than the Charger or the Crown Vic, allowing for full front-seat travel and greater recline while officers take a highway-side siesta.

The new Caprice will also have significantly larger interior volume — 112 cubic feet — than the Ford Crown Victoria, including — thanks to the longer wheelbase — nearly 4 inches more rear legroom to help give handcuffed suspects a much more comfortable experience. The Caprice PPV's long wheelbase also gives it 18 cubic feet of free trunk volume. That's enough room for a full-size spare located under a flat load surface in the trunk storage area and any number of shotguns, RPGs and whatever other riot gear an officer feels like fitting into a trunk.

The new Caprice will not replace any current vehicle in the GM police vehicle fleet. Rather, it will join the Chevy Impala and the Chevy Tahoe in the bowtied brand's marked patrol vehicle lineup as a very high-powered member of GM's fraternity of police vehicles.

We can't wait to try out the driver's seat. Hopefully it'll be sometime before we try out the extra-large back seat.

500x_Chevy-Caprice-PPV-Aus-07.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-FagFunApw&feature=player_embedded

500x_Chevy-Caprice-PPV-Aus-08.jpg

In my experience the Crowns have some distinct advantages (over the Charger) including:

Excellent visibility
Roomy
Reliable
Easy to shift from reverse to Drive (this IS a big deal) as the Charger has a delay between shifts

However, compared to the Charger they are WAY slower. Any chance requiring speeds above 100mph is not something you want to do in a CV. The Charger also handles MUCH better.

That center console will definatey be a deal breaker for many. That is not how a cruiser should be setup. I've been around cruisers for 30+ years. They'll need to change that.

In my experience the Crowns have some distinct advantages (over the Charger) including:

Excellent visibility
Roomy
Reliable
Easy to shift from reverse to Drive (this IS a big deal) as the Charger has a delay between shifts

However, compared to the Charger they are WAY slower. Any chance requiring speeds above 100mph is not something you want to do in a CV. The Charger also handles MUCH better.
Good thinking. While the CV is somewhat slower, many depts. have a no pursuit policy anyway and I see no reason why anyone needs to go 150+ mph at any point.:confused:

Last edited:
That center console will definatey be a deal breaker for many. That is not how a cruiser should be setup. I've been around cruisers for 30+ years. They'll need to change that.

I think they will like how the donuts can be stored and not crushed by accident......

Not available to the public eh?

In about 5 years can i pick one up at the Mount Prospect City Police auction and do my best Elwood Blues impersonation?

Acceleration%20%20Title.jpg

Not available to the public eh?

In about 5 years can i pick one up at the Mount Prospect City Police auction and do my best Elwood Blues impersonation?

Acceleration%20%20Title.jpg

No need.

U can pick up a better looking version:

Pontiac-G8_GXP_2009_800x600_wallpaper_02.jpg

09g8gxp_dash.jpg

2009pontiacg8gxp.r34500.img.jpg

I wish they brought this "caruck" to the USA for those of us that need the utility of a truck but without the height.

black_ve_maloo_sd1.jpg

maloo01l700lq9.jpg

Last edited:
Holden sucks:biggrin:

Only in a police state does a police car need 3xx horsepower.

Only in a police state does a police car need 3xx horsepower.

Ever heard of a Bomber built in the late 40s called the PeaceKeeper? The B-36. The mere fact that the US had a plane that could fly unrefueled from the mainland to Russia and drop an atomic bomb was enough to scare them silly.

I don't see this is any different.

Additional, food for thought:

In my very quiet, 50,000 member community, there are several occasions per day where that 300+ hp comes in handy. All our officers are EMTs and they respond to medicals. This is common in many cities. Do you want a Prius bringing help to you when you are dying from a heart attack?

Didn't think so :cool:

Ever heard of a Bomber built in the late 40s called the PeaceKeeper? The B-36. The mere fact that the US had a plane that could fly unrefueled from the mainland to Russia and drop an atomic bomb was enough to scare them silly.

In my very quiet, 50,000 member community, there are several occasions per day where that 300+ hp comes in handy. All our officers are EMTs and they respond to medicals. This is common in many cities. Do you want a Prius bringing help to you when you are dying from a heart attack?

Amen Brother!
Seems like we have a situation in Afghanistan where more would help them get the job done!

Can't agree with this logic. You are suggesting we intimidate our citizens in the same fashion as our global enemies threatening nuclear warfare. That's a little disturbing. Newsflash, I don't know of a single other country that has a standard high horsepower police car. Japan has a couple NSX's and Italy a few ferrari's, but overall they are tiny little 50-100hp vehicles. I guess all of them die since the police can't get to them at 165 mph... right.

You are suggesting we intimidate our citizens in the same fashion as our global enemies threatening nuclear warfare.

Thats exactly what I am suggesting. Ever been on a subway / train in Europe? Many of the guards carry high powered machine guns. Crime is VERY low.

Newsflash, I don't know of a single other country that has a standard high horsepower police car. Japan has a couple NSX's and Italy a few ferrari's, but overall they are tiny little 50-100hp vehicles.

I don't think you are right but don't have the evidence to suggest otherwise. Keep in mind that in most parts of the world high horsepower is NOT the status quo, but rather small cars with diesel engines. So a cop car with 100hp may be just fine.

I guess all of them die since the police can't get to them at 165 mph... right.

You missed my point. My point was in areas without an ambulance as the primary responder, it is nice to have a fast car for fast response. The first two minutes in a heart attack are crucial.

Its clear you don't like authority and have no respect for cops. Im sorry for whatever happened to you to make you that way. I bet you'll fall in love next time you actually NEED one. Most people do.

Thats exactly what I am suggesting. Ever been on a subway / train in Europe? Many of the guards carry high powered machine guns. Crime is VERY low.

I don't think you are right but don't have the evidence to suggest otherwise. Keep in mind that in most parts of the world high horsepower is NOT the status quo, but rather small cars with diesel engines. So a cop car with 100hp may be just fine.

You missed my point. My point was in areas without an ambulance as the primary responder, it is nice to have a fast car for fast response. The first two minutes in a heart attack are crucial.

Its clear you don't like authority and have no respect for cops. Im sorry for whatever happened to you to make you that way. I bet you'll fall in love next time you actually NEED one. Most people do.

You seem to think you are able to derive a lot from very little. You don't need to feel sorry for me, that's a little insulting frankly. Most police officers provide a valuable service for society and am I thankful for their sacrifice. How that relates to them "needing" 340hp police cars is not clear to me.

Crime rates are not effected by how big the guns a police force carriers. It's probably inversely correlated if anything. I don't believe horsepower and response time go on positively for infinity, they don't need to cruise at 165 or get to 60mph in 3 seconds. It's probably decided 99% by traffic conditions, you are trying to get an emotional response.

Last edited:
If you can all recall back when the Mustang 5.0 was first released to the police, they were crashing those pony cars left and right because they were just kids driving them. CHP actually put a policy in place that unless you as an officer had 5 years with them, you could not drive the Mustang. The crash rate plummeted.

I would argue for the same thing here. The way I have seen the young cops flying around in the Charger and Crown Vics, I can see a whole lot of crashed Malibu police cars and injured innocent citizens. Just because they have red/blue lights does not make them good drivers.

You seem to think you are able to derive a lot from very little. You don't need to feel sorry for me, that's a little insulting frankly.

Certainly not intended or implied. My apologies. I was merely lumping you into a wide bucket of folks that has somehow been put out by a LEO at sometime in their life, typically by being harassed just because the LEO wanted to enforce a particular law that you don't agree with.

Nothing personal, mind you. I don't know anything about you, so I have to guess from what I do know.

Back