Test drove the new Accord V6 - six speed

Went to the local Honda dealer today to get some MTL. While I was there, I asked if they had one of the new Accord V6 six speed (manual trany) coupes on the lot. They had one, a silver with all the goodies but the NAV.

My impressions:

1. Very light clutch! So much lighter than my NSX or even my Civic. Almost stalled it a couple of times because the clutch engages so quickly and with so little effort. I don't know if that is a good thing, but one thing is for sure, you'll never get tired of using the clutch in traffic.

2. Honda's engines are so freeking smooth, it's very difficult to drive a standard gracefully without constantly looking at the tach. The car was also very quiet inside making it difficult to hear the engine which aids me in driving smoothly. With my Civic, I can feel and hear what the engine is doing and I hardly ever look at the tach. Again, I don't know if that is a good thing. I would take some getting use to. ( As a side note, I tested both the V6 six speed and the 4 - five speed. I drove the 4 banger much better than the V6 because I could feel and hear the engine - at least a little anyway.)

3. Ride is very firm, but not annoying or jarring. My wife has a 2002 CL type S (yeah, we're Honda lovers) and the ride is pretty much the same. Took some corners and handling was okay - no NSX or Vette, but for a grocery getter, pretty good. Steering was a tad light, but okay.

4. The interior was pretty typical of Honda, very nice fitting everything and nice materials. The V6 I drove was silver and the interior was trimmed in a simulated carbon fibre finish and it looked pretty decent.

5. The sound system was nice and had the built in Satellite radio. The satellite radio antenna was mounted in the usual place, but there was no wire showing. All controls were easy to use.

I plan on upgrading from my Civic soon since I drive so much in my new job. Mileage with the V6 would be about about 30 highway, which would be down from the 37 I get with the Civic. But with the 4 cylinder, the mileage is about 35 - not bad for a larger more powerful car.

Anyway, just trying to do my part in keeping this economy going :p .

The Temple of VTEC has videos of the the Accord V6 6-speed and Acura TSX going through the Tail of the Dragon, an 11 mile curvy road that's great for testing out cars. They drove both cars extensively and betweent the two, they say the TSX handles better than the Accord coupe! The only thing they noticed is that the V6 had more straightline speed but in the corners, the TSX was more neutral and handled better. The website also has videos of the undercarriage of both cars. The TSX's was really aerodynamic with the Accords being that of a normal Accord. They found the exhaust headers to be very restrictive given there are some U-turn like bends.

Both cars reviewed very well. If you need a great handling 4-door, the TSX shouldn't be overlooked.

Back