Test Drove my First NSX - My Thoughts and some Questions

Well, I finally took the plunge and test drove my first NSX today. It was a 2001 Red 6spd. Here are my initial observations along with some questions:

(1) First, let me say that the car definitely lived up to my expectations. It was a lot of fun to drive and faster than anything I've ever driven. I never got above 50-55 mph, nor did I hit the VTEC range, but I could definitely tell this car is fast. I was a little nervous being my first time in the car (it always takes a little time to get used to the comfort, drivability, etc. of a new car), so I didn't want to push it too much.

(2) The interior was excellent. At first, it felt a little weird, since it was much different than my current car (much lower, definitely hugs you in tighter). However, once I got comfortable, it felt great. I'm 6'1 and I had zero problems with head room and the car actually seemed to have a lot of leg room. I did have a little trouble getting out, though. I've heard some people say they know the "right" way to get out of the car. What exactly is the "right" way?

(3) Visibility/blind spots are a bit more of a problem than most cars I've driven. Nothing I couldn't get used to, though.

(4) The car had black interior. Based on pictures I've seen, I'm leaning towards the tan interior (I still haven't seen in person or sat in), however the black was very sharp and I liked it more than I expected.

(5) I definitely loved the exterior color. The red was very sharp and a very nice deep red (not the more pinkish hue of red you sometimes see in cars). I know the 2000+ cars have the new formula red paint - everything I've read on here says that the pre-2000 red looks almost identical to this one, but I was just curious if anyone else had any thoughts or pics of the two side-by-side. I wasn't sure if I'd be disappointed looking at a pre-2000 after seeing this one.

(6) The car did have a couple of rock chips, but overall nothing too bad (mileage was approaching 20K). I assume this would be expected for a car with this many miles.

(7) The sales guy popped the front hood and I noticed that the spare tire didn't seem to be locked in - it could move forwards and backwards a bit - is this normal or is it supposed to be secured?

(8) Would the Acura dealer doing the PPI be able to tell how much tread life was on the tires? The sales guy wasn't sure when they were last changed - I guess my best bet would be to see if he could find out.

Overall, I definitely enjoyed my first time in the car, although I don't think I got to fully enjoy the experience, since I was just getting used to the car and wasn't totally comfortable with it yet. The test drive definitely confirmed this is the car for me, which I was glad to find out. I've always loved the styling and everything I've read on here suggested I would love it, but I wasn't 100% certain until I took the test drive.

jkeen01 said:
(7) The sales guy popped the front hood and I noticed that the spare tire didn't seem to be locked in - it could move forwards and backwards a bit - is this normal or is it supposed to be secured?
The collapsible spare is secured with a large wing bolt, which goes through the center of the wheel and screws into the bracket behind it, and should not be loose at all. It sounds like the wing bolt was missing or insufficiently tightened. It's also worth noting that there should be two rubber caps on the ends of the horizontal portion of that same bracket behind it, which help give the spare a secure and snug attachment, but these end caps are often missing. (Replacements are around six bucks each.)

jkeen01 said:
(8) Would the Acura dealer doing the PPI be able to tell how much tread life was on the tires?
Absolutely. Actually, it's easy to measure tread depth; just use a small ruler or tape measure. If they were the stock tires (Yokohama A022H or Bridgestone RE010 on the '91-01), they come with 10/32" of tread depth when new. Like all street tires, they should be discarded by the time they have 2/32" of tread depth, which is when the treadwear indicator bars are flat across the entire width of the tread.

About getting in and out of the NSX...it is annoying, and for me, hasn't changed. My car is dropped 1.5" and I find on some days, I skip driving it because it is a hassle of getting in and out (sounds funny, but I have noticed that I just didn't feel in the mood to hassle with it).

What others here have discussed as the right way to get in/out deals with trying no to wear out the side bolster.

Other than that, you will soon find the car lacks power, and the stereo needs HELP...

Then, you will really fall in love with it. For the few minor annoyances, it is a wonderful car. I love taking curves, it just holds like no other. The steering is great, the traction is great, and the 8K RMP is awesome....and of course, you will get attention in it as well.

The black interior looks nice, but never seems clean.

Good luck,

JM

Back