Test drove an NSX, what did I miss?

A little background. I’m not a troll although I must admit I really don’t know what that is … my past "impractical" car list include a Porsche Boxster, Chrysler Prowler and Maxda RX-8, none of which I currently have. I’m currently driving a hand made VW …

Anyway, I’m not much with a wrench, but love to go to town with a trim stick and electrical wiring. I’ve been lurking for a few weeks (I would call it research) trying to get up to speed on the ins and outs of the NSX. I’m considering buying a used one of almost any mileage, but am strongly considering new.

Last week I drove a 94 coupe with 82K on it. We pretty much just drove up and down a four lane highway for a few miles.

Now I’ve researched (lurked) the history to see the changes that have been made to the current design. Found a cool web site with all the changes listed by year. From my perspective, the changes have been pretty much minor such that I figured driving almost any model year would be indicative of the more recent models.

That’s my dilemma. I must admit … I was under whelmed with the ride. Again, I’m not a troll, but I was kind of wondering if anyone could shed some light on “what I might have missed”. I know it’s a strange question, but I think you owners could provide some insight. The weird thing is that I’m still strongly considering purchasing one.

Any words of advice would be appreciated.

TIA

Edit : Sorry, just saw this should have been in the new owner forum. Please move if possible. I don't see the option to delete. Sheesh, what a way to start ...

Underwhelming compared to those cars you owned previously? Are you sure you took the car to redline at every shift and the on/off ramp of the freeway at at least 70mph?

Instead of what did you miss, how about what did you experience.

1. Great view of the road
2. People looking at you
3. Great engine noise
4. A nice ride for a sports car.
5. While crusing, you could just relax and not be constantly reminded you are driving a supercar.
6. Great shifter
7. Easy clutch pedal effort.

Now, hit the twisties hard and you will have a bunch of new things.

come on Viper, up and down, you know, like take the up ramp (the one with off camber 270 degree down hill.) Downshift to third, doing 80 mph when those little yellow signs suggest you going through that 35mph??

Whealy, no offense nor looking down to your experiences with those other cars you listed. nsx should be much faster than them. A lot of person does not drive a car as they were in race track, but the nsx is really designed for that, so to appreciate it, you really want to stay in the gear longer, you don't have to redline it, but at least bring it up to over 6500rpm... again, no offense to your skills...

Oh, if you could find them, try driving more, and if you know the guy is a devoted nsx owners (or those who actually take it to track.) have them drive it, so you'll have the idea. The one you tested was an used car afterall, you could have driven one only running 4 cyclinders though unlikely... ;)

Sit in my passenger seat at the trackAnd you'll see what you missed :cool:

NSXDreamer2 said:
come on Viper, up and down, you know, like take the up ramp (the one with off camber 270 degree down hill.) Downshift to third, doing 80 mph when those little yellow signs suggest you going through that 35mph??
Well, it is fun on the ramps, no doubt. But, I don't think the NSX is that much fun on the highway because the car is deceptively fast. It never FEELS like you are hauling ass. Nonetheless, it would be much faster than the other cars on his list. Of course, hitting 8,000 RPM daily is a must for any NSX owner :)

whealy said:
...Last week I drove a 94 coupe with 82K on it. We pretty much just drove up and down a four lane highway for a few miles.

Now I’ve researched (lurked) the history to see the changes that have been made to the current design. Found a cool web site with all the changes listed by year. From my perspective, the changes have been pretty much minor such that I figured driving almost any model year would be indicative of the more recent models.

That’s my dilemma. I must admit … I was under whelmed with the ride. Again, I’m not a troll, but I was kind of wondering if anyone could shed some light on “what I might have missed”....

Maybe you did not miss anything. The NSX is not for everyone, though I must admit that your up and down the highway driving really would have been the same in a VW Golf or a Lamborghini Diablo. To really get an idea about this car go find a country road or rack track and play with the car for a bit. Then you can truly judge if the car is for you, or if you will ever 'get it'. :)

NetViper said:
Instead of what did you miss, how about what did you experience.

1. Great view of the road
2. People looking at you
3. Great engine noise
4. A nice ride for a sports car.
5. While crusing, you could just relax and not be constantly reminded you are driving a supercar.
6. Great shifter
7. Easy clutch pedal effort.

Now, hit the twisties hard and you will have a bunch of new things.

Right on brother!!! :smile:

Thanks guys. I believe the Boxster and Rx-8 are incredible handling vehicles. Only cars I’ve ever had that I could take 30 mph right hand turns in… So assuming the NSX is equal or a step above, I think I know the feel. Of course if this is the case a trip to the Dragon (http://www.tailofthedragon.com/) would be in order!

I appreciate the comment on the NSX being deceptively fast. I really didn’t get a chance to get the car going all that fast. Past two police officers in the short test drive. But I was thinking the same thing.

I did realize the hp curve was strongest in the upper ranges. So I skip down a couple of gears a few times to feel that that was like. Felt strong. The RX-8 redline is 9000 so that was familiar territory.

Again, I appreciate all the comments.

whealy said:
Thanks guys. I believe the Boxster and Rx-8 are incredible handling vehicles. Only cars I’ve ever had that I could take 30 mph right hand turns in… So assuming the NSX is equal or a step above, I think I know the feel. Of course if this is the case a trip to the Dragon (http://www.tailofthedragon.com/) would be in order!

I appreciate the comment on the NSX being deceptively fast. I really didn’t get a chance to get the car going all that fast. Past two police officers in the short test drive. But I was thinking the same thing.

I did realize the hp curve was strongest in the upper ranges. So I skip down a couple of gears a few times to feel that that was like. Felt strong. The RX-8 redline is 9000 so that was familiar territory.

Again, I appreciate all the comments.

Honestly, I mean absolutely no offense. So please take my comments as observations and not flames.

I've driven a few of the new RX-8's. Yes, they rev to 9K and they handle very well but...

unless you were driving in an NSX that was firing on less than all 6 cylinders there is absolutely no comparison in the way the two cars accelerate. None whatsoever. Whether you're "lugging" the motor at 2K RPM in 4th or accelerating hard in 2nd the NSX (both the 3.0L and the 3.2L) accelerates way harder than the RX8.

Da Hapa said:
Honestly, I mean absolutely no offense. So please take my comments as observations and not flames.

I've driven a few of the new RX-8's. Yes, they rev to 9K and they handle very well but...

unless you were driving in an NSX that was firing on less than all 6 cylinders there is absolutely no comparison in the way the two cars accelerate. None whatsoever. Whether you're "lugging" the motor at 2K RPM in 4th or accelerating hard in 2nd the NSX (both the 3.0L and the 3.2L) accelerates way harder than the RX8.

Sorry, I was only comparing handling and red-line of the RX-8. I was not in any way comparing acceleration. I totally agree that the two are several classes apart in that category.

whealy said:
Sorry, I was only comparing handling and red-line of the RX-8. I was not in any way comparing acceleration. I totally agree that the two are several classes apart in that category.

I really enjoy driving the RX-8 because it's a good handling car, but the handling of the NSX is definitely a notch above the RX-8. The Mazda isn't bad at all, but the NSX is just sharper in the turns and feels more refined in it's movements.

As far as redline goes the only thing similar to me is that both cars are capable of revving high imo. The RX-8 has very little torque compared to an NSX, and even when you get to the upper part of the 8's powerband there still isn't the kick in the pants feeling that the NSX gives you once in VTEC.

As far as something that you specifically missed, I'd like to politely point out that you must have missed that awesome Formula 1 sound that the NSX was making when it hit VTEC...the best sound you'll hear outside of an Italian exotic :biggrin:

Just came back from the Dragon and surrounding areas last week (go to the SE section for more info). The NSX behaves according to the way you treat it. If you drive calmly in a straight line, it is very comfortable. If you drive it hard, it will give you what you ask. I've owned or driven nearly every sportcar below $60k and I may never buy another sportscar.

PS The Dragon was made for the NSX.

What did you miss? Speaking for myself, my whole NSX experience is akin to a true passionate romance. I was first taken with her beauty, she really caught my eye with her lines and curves. But, as we all know beauty can only take a relationship so far...so to discover that her personality was flawless and underneath she had real substance not just all show and no go. The real test of genuine love is does she do what you want and need her to? In my case she promised a lot and delivered so much more. I concur with every positive thing said by the others and add a few:
- an incredibly awsome feeling from a center-placed engine that is really intense when you are winding it out and the power is smooth, constant, and seemingly neverending.
_The car handles like it can anticipate where you are going.
_ The car gets a lot of attention. Everyone looks and people want to ask you...."What kind of car is that?" You will NEVER get that question driving a Porsche.
- The car looks fast...it is. When driving around it is rare that you see even one other NSX let alone several dozen. (just check the statistics on how many Porsches were sold in CA alone last year and then look how many NSX's have been purchased in the US since 91).

Sounds like your first "test drive" is like taking a girl out and her mother comes along. Before making any judgements you owe it to yourself to endulge in serious 1 on 1 so you have more insight into "what you missed" or more appropriately "what we get"

- I could go on and on but it comes down to you either travel in a herd or hunt in the pack. Oh yeah...one last thing.........$35 oil changes. :biggrin:

docjohn said:
Sit in my passenger seat at the trackAnd you'll see what you missed :cool:

Amen to that!!!!!! :biggrin:

Having driven both the RX8 and NSX, I can tell you there is NO comparison between the cars. The RX8 is an excellent handling car, but it had NO TORQUE at all. I found it very boring to drive. I really love the car, but the lack of tq would steer me away from the car. It was just dull for me.

Hi

I can only say as many have already said. Take it to the twisties and have some fun.

I drove home from Switzerland to Norway when I got mine. It was a lot of kilometers. The last 200km was on very familier road and I had a lot of fun.

I also drove to Switzerland and back last summer and did about 7000km. Driving on the Autobahn at 275 km/h was ofcourse fun, but driving on the same roads I know so well near home was even more fun.

Regards

Yup, as everyone said, up and down a 4 lane highway a few miles will not give you any hint of what a NSX can do. Your everyday grandmom's car probably rides better in that run. I am a Porsche guy and I can assure you that the NSX will outperform ANY aspect of your Boxster. During NSXPO1999, that damn Bryan Hunter took me for a ride in his NSX at Laguna Seca. I ended up throwing up for an hour afterwards. The Gs were just too much for me as a passenger!!!!
Steve

whiteNSXs said:
I ended up throwing up for an hour afterwards. The Gs were just too much for me as a passenger!!!!
Steve

Hi

But you had a good time eventhoug you got sick :wink:

Regards

whealy said:
I must admit … I was under whelmed with the ride. Again, I’m not a troll, but I was kind of wondering if anyone could shed some light on “what I might have missed”. I know it’s a strange question, but I think you owners could provide some insight. The weird thing is that I’m still strongly considering purchasing one.

Any words of advice would be appreciated.

TIA

OWNERSHIP! You will never know unless you own one. The experience is beyond words.

Hi whealy. I do not think you missed anything per se, but you only saw one side of the cars dual nature.

As others have said, the nature of the NSX is that if you are just cruising down the highway or driving around town, if you closed your eyes you could be in an Accord. Well maybe not exactly but close.

However if you get on the gas hard, keep the RPMs up and push it into the corners, it transforms into a completely different car.

Back