Test drove a Z350 today

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but since I'm comparing the Z350 to the NSX, I figure this is the place to put it.

Test drove an Orange Track version. These are my impressions on the 15 minute test drive. The drive consisted mostly of two lane back road driving and I did a couple of WOT tests.

1. Acceleration - I checked several times during the drive to make sure the parking brake was off. No, I'm not kidding. It felt like I was towing a boat or trailer. In a drag race, I would win and the only mod I have is headers; however, there was only 50 miles or so on the engine so perhaps a break in period was needed to loosen the engine up. I don't understand how it could do 0-60 in just 5+ seconds. My buddy asked me if maybe it was fast, but just didn't seem like it. Well, that might be the case, but I never got the "Butt in the seat" feeling. Oh yeah, 6500 rpm (redline) sure comes up fast, especially when you are use to 8000 rpm
biggrin.gif

2. Handling/ride - Crisp. Very little body roll, although I didn't really get a chance to take it on one of "Spirited" drives the Bay Area club does. I did take a couple of 90 degree corners and there were no nasty surprises, I felt very much in control. Suspension is about what a stock NSX is, firm, but not brutal.

3. Braking - Very nice. The track version has Brembo hardware and I did so several hard braking maneuvers and was impressed.

4. Comfort/ergonomics - Seating was okay, but not on par with the NSX. The track version has harder seats than the other models available. The view from the drivers seat was not nearly as spectacular as the NSX. Plenty of headroom and legroom. Easy to get in and out. Shifter was not quite in the right place, but close; shifter was not as sharp (accurate) as the NSX either, but okay. Noise factor: quieter than my NSX.

5. Price - $35k+ not to include the $5k markup. That is what I paid for my NSX and hands down, I'd choose the NSX again, even though there is no warranty.

6. Looks/Fit and finish - The Z350 looks much better in person. Paint was okay, but not great. The orange color look great in the sun, but not good in the shade. Everything seemed to fit fine and there were no rattles during the drive. The car seemed tight.

7. Conclusion - If the dealer would have offered a straight up trade for my NSX, I would have had to turn it down. It's a nice car and I'd really like to know how it performs at the track. But for $40k....hummm.

P.S.
Something else to think about. My buddy, a turbo freek got to checking out the engine bay. Any mods would be pretty tough. There is just not much room for any thing else.

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan, 5 speed
Do you know of another Green-Black roof NSX?? Please email me if you do.

Originally posted by Litesokneecough:
1. Acceleration - I checked several times during the drive to make sure the parking brake was off. No, I'm not kidding. It felt like I was towing a boat or trailer. In a drag race, I would win and the only mod I have is headers; however, there was only 50 miles or so on the engine so perhaps a break in period was needed to loosen the engine up. I don't understand how it could do 0-60 in just 5+ seconds.

The magazine tests for the 350Z report 0-60 in 5.4 to 5.7 seconds. The 3.0-liter 5-speed '91-94 NSX typically tested 5.2 to 5.3 seconds. I'm not sure why, since the power-to-weight ratio is virtually identical between the two cars.

I also test drove 1, and you're right, it doesn't feel as fast as what I have read. Was expecting something comparable to an NSX. To me the power was night and day vs an NSX. Maybe it was going fast, and the change in speed might have been very linear
biggrin.gif
. On the plus note, the Z is an incredible handling machine.

I have to agree. I also test drove the 350Z and it seemed low on power.

I was truely unimpressed by the power.

Remember that 0-60 times really mean nothing.

Perhaps the only way to get those numbers is with a 6000 rpm clutch drop. Obviously not a healthy way to accelerate your car.

I test drove the G35 coupe (almost the same thing) and I thought the engine noise was awful. It sounded like a truck! No comparison to the NSX. I also thought it felt A LOT slower than the NSX. The clutch was too light, but the interior was really nice.

After driving the G35, I have no desire to drive the 350. IMO, the 350 is worse in every category except acelleration (not by much) and track racing (which i will rarely do). For the money, I would pick the G35 coupe over the 350 ANY DAY.

Back