Test Drive

Finally got to test drive the nsx. Interesting car.

I drove a blue one and the paint was amazing had full carbon MSRP was 208k. Fully loaded. First thing I noticed is no height adjustment on the seat. I thought that was really odd. Not much adjustments to the seats. I did find them comfortable. Started out in sport mode and the sound of the car is very different. Very hard to describe. Don't know if I liked it or not. I did notice a lot of wind noise at highway speed. I thought the window was not sealing. The guy said this is normal. Does anyone else notice this wind noise near top of windows?

i thought sport was a little tame and went into sport plus mode and then the whole car woke up. It was fast, very fast, almost 570 fast, very close. Not sure if I could tell a difference. The view out the front is great, and the steering was right on. The car handled real nice. I think the sales man was freaking. The car stuck like glue and pulled through the turns real hard.

Not sure about the tranny when I manually shifted it seemed like it was a little delayed. In the mclaren you click the paddle and it goes, no lag no nothing.

The interior was underwhelming at best when I compared to the mclaren. Seemed like cheap leather and plastic. Mclaren interior while spartan, feels and smells high quality.

i didn't play with electronics cause really don't care. Nothing impressive. Th ride seemed good and not overly stiff. Does not seem like you can set individual controls for suspension and engine and steeering.

Overall it was pretty impressive. Not quite sure I liked the sound and did notice the engine cutting in and out when driving slow. I drive the I8 so sort of use to it.

I have a test drive again for a mclaren. If they fall to 140k used it will be tempting. 570 used is already in the 170s if you look hard. I built one myself for 180k. If I could find a new like that with a huge discount might be tempted.

Where do you guys see a used 2017 going for next year? Already seeing them around 160k

I think the interior of the 570 looks terrible, but to each his own. I have also heard the wind noise near the top as you describe.

I also recently test drove the car. Definitely a "no drama" car but very fast. My son was with me and turned sideways and said "Dad, you have to start the car to make it go" as I was slowly taking off through the dealers lot. Got to the road, turned onto the street, still in full electric, Again he turns and tells me about how I have to start the car and I floor the pedal. The car immediately starts and launches HARD. As compared to all of the non hybrid/electric cars with 0-60 of 3 seconds, you really don't need "launch control" to actually get the speed. The ride is smooth and you are isolated from the environment - even in sport mode. Would make an excellent daily driver / commuter vehicle as well as GT car except the for lack of luggage space. Interior, looks OK, nothing special.

Compared to R8 V10 coupe, Much quieter and more compliant ride (magnetic shocks). Much more compliant as compared to GT coilover system which is currently on my car. R8V10 roars in the morning when you start it but afterwards, no issues even with my Larini exhaust. Others outside of my car comment that Larini is loud so I am not surprised that your vert was loud. I like the sense of feeling you are "connected" to the road in the R8 more than the NSX but they are close.

Compared to 458, More compliant ride and less drama. 458 definitely has a better driving feel, sharper and more crisp, but definitely need to pay more attention to driving. When driving the 458, I almost feel that if I think about turning, the car is turning. When the exhaust valves are open, car is louder (stock exhaust) than R8 with Larini but quiet with exhaust valves closed. Interior of the 458 is nothing special but I do like the cockpit feel of the gauges and the multi-function gauges.

Compared to McLaren. Got to ride in the 570 - ride is more harsh and similarly fast but you need "launch control" to get that immediate super 0-60. There is clear turbo lag in the 570 driving in auto mode as it always upshifts to a higher gear and then downshifts as you punch the gas. Really no lag if you drive the car in manual mode and keep the RPMs around 3K. Interior is high quality, very simple, and easy to navigate. 650 is a different car altogether. The 650 has a better ride , no thudding from the expansion joints, completely flat handling. Excellent road feel although not quite as sharp as the 458. More relaxing driving the 650 as compared to 458. Very quiet inside even with the top open. Brakes are phenomenal, very fast but again I suspect that you would lose to NSX in short spurts unless you used launch control. Same issue of "turbo lag" unless you are in manual as the engine is under 2K RPM at 75 mph. Floor it and it downshifts after which the car launches and you are at 100+ in hurry. For WOW factor, McLaren wins as compared to all cars mentioned, at least here in MI.

I told my wife that I would buy the new NSX if I was looking for a GT car, a car that I would drive to work comfortably and that I could also drive on twisties on the weekends. Problem is that it doesn't have the luggage capacity of a GT car, don't golf so I am not referring to golf bags. I think that it would be an excellent replacement for an R8 although the R8 has more luggage room. In regards to carrying on the spirit of the original NSX, I personally feel would have preferred a car closer to the 458 or McLaren.

I test drove the mclaren 570 and I like the transmission in the 570 as it shifts much quicker. On the nsx it seemed delayed. Interior seemed higher quality in the 570. They are very close I would have to drive them back to back. Both great cars, I would give a slight edge to the 570

I also recently test drove the car. Definitely a "no drama" car but very fast. My son was with me and turned sideways and said "Dad, you have to start the car to make it go" as I was slowly taking off through the dealers lot. Got to the road, turned onto the street, still in full electric, Again he turns and tells me about how I have to start the car and I floor the pedal. The car immediately starts and launches HARD. As compared to all of the non hybrid/electric cars with 0-60 of 3 seconds, you really don't need "launch control" to actually get the speed. The ride is smooth and you are isolated from the environment - even in sport mode. Would make an excellent daily driver / commuter vehicle as well as GT car except the for lack of luggage space. Interior, looks OK, nothing special.

Compared to R8 V10 coupe, Much quieter and more compliant ride (magnetic shocks). Much more compliant as compared to GT coilover system which is currently on my car. R8V10 roars in the morning when you start it but afterwards, no issues even with my Larini exhaust. Others outside of my car comment that Larini is loud so I am not surprised that your vert was loud. I like the sense of feeling you are "connected" to the road in the R8 more than the NSX but they are close.

Compared to 458, More compliant ride and less drama. 458 definitely has a better driving feel, sharper and more crisp, but definitely need to pay more attention to driving. When driving the 458, I almost feel that if I think about turning, the car is turning. When the exhaust valves are open, car is louder (stock exhaust) than R8 with Larini but quiet with exhaust valves closed. Interior of the 458 is nothing special but I do like the cockpit feel of the gauges and the multi-function gauges.

Compared to McLaren. Got to ride in the 570 - ride is more harsh and similarly fast but you need "launch control" to get that immediate super 0-60. There is clear turbo lag in the 570 driving in auto mode as it always upshifts to a higher gear and then downshifts as you punch the gas. Really no lag if you drive the car in manual mode and keep the RPMs around 3K. Interior is high quality, very simple, and easy to navigate. 650 is a different car altogether. The 650 has a better ride , no thudding from the expansion joints, completely flat handling. Excellent road feel although not quite as sharp as the 458. More relaxing driving the 650 as compared to 458. Very quiet inside even with the top open. Brakes are phenomenal, very fast but again I suspect that you would lose to NSX in short spurts unless you used launch control. Same issue of "turbo lag" unless you are in manual as the engine is under 2K RPM at 75 mph. Floor it and it downshifts after which the car launches and you are at 100+ in hurry. For WOW factor, McLaren wins as compared to all cars mentioned, at least here in MI.

I told my wife that I would buy the new NSX if I was looking for a GT car, a car that I would drive to work comfortably and that I could also drive on twisties on the weekends. Problem is that it doesn't have the luggage capacity of a GT car, don't golf so I am not referring to golf bags. I think that it would be an excellent replacement for an R8 although the R8 has more luggage room. In regards to carrying on the spirit of the original NSX, I personally feel would have preferred a car closer to the 458 or McLaren.

All good points and for the most part we agree with you, check out review in the other thread as we just got back from CarWeek. Wife loved the NSX the most, for me the 720s shined well over all the other cars.

We've had 3 R8's over the years (v10, 6-speed) and it's probably still the best choice as we are diehard 6MT fans. We now have a Huracan and it is a good upgrade from the R8 for the speed factory but tranny wise, we wish we had the gated shifter in this car, that would be icing on the cake :) Did you drive the new 2nd gen R8?

One thing you didn't point out was blind spots, the McLaren folks really have the best driving position along with the NSX. The other exotics are not exactly confidence inspiring when you can't see your blind spots (Huracan is bad, the Aventador is WORST).

What do you drive now and what would most likely be your next car?

I agree with the McLaren visibility but haven't had issues with other cars mentioned (No experience with Huracan or Aventador). Haven't driven 2nd gen R8, not thrilled with the exterior styling. Current daily driver is F150 with Ecoboost or Cayman, - Quiet, smooth, Great ride, plenty of room, stealthy... Still own the other cars and will keep indefinitely since my kids have claimed the McLaren and 458. Future? Kind of depends on how my Cayman holds up

Back