Tein RA Overhaul

• Thread starter Thread starter kye
  • Start date Start date

kye

Contributing Member
Hi All,
I have read a lot here on prime about the possibility to overhaul the Tein RA suspension but couldnt find any info on someone that has done it and the results.

I was attending a handling course at Motegi with Tetsuya Yamano leading the course (was excellent). Yamano san when he drove my car had 2 comments 1) the supercharger was excellent and 2) my suspension needs to be replaced, its close to end of life I think he said while we were tearing around a corner at a speed that nearly split my spleen ....

So, instead of shelling out money for a new suspension decided to get this one rebuilt by tein here in Tokyo, Yamano also said that the spring rates were not suitable - he recommended 16 on front and 14 on rear but i think that this could knock my teeth out so Tein is now setting up new springs with 14 front and 12 rear (rear stays same), I assume that they make sure the shocks match the spring rate (valve settings etc).

I will get the rebuilt package back in a couple of weeks, will post my impressions of it, I think many people have the possibility to do the same when their current RE/RA is end of life

BTW, I havnt removed the suspension myself, decided to leave that to the professionals, have the stock suspension back on the car, now thats a big difference!

I have the same TEIN-RA suspension, but with the 12/12 springs. Have been on the car now for about three years.
After how many miles are you supposed to do an overhaul?
Mine is working perfect as far as I can tell, but would like to know anyway.

Mine lasted about 25,000 miles before the one of the front shocks started to leak oil.

I'm still trying to decide if I like my Tein RE's.... they are used and theres no telling how many miles are on them... I looked at the price of rebuilding them here in SoCal, but it would equaled the price of buying new ones (if you include the amount I paid for the used parts) so I didn't think it was worth it... I might have to change my mind here though...

I also don't understand the thing about the springs... What does 10, 12, 14 mean? And which is stiffer and which is softer? Sorry for the n00b question... Just trying to find springs that match up better with city driving. My car is a daily driver so I want it to be comfortable but still have the performance. Sigh! :redface:

I also don't understand the thing about the springs... What does 10, 12, 14 mean? And which is stiffer and which is softer? Sorry for the n00b question... Just trying to find springs that match up better with city driving. My car is a daily driver so I want it to be comfortable but still have the performance. Sigh! :redface:

No problem asking question, everyone has got to learn everything a first time... :smile:

The 10, 12 or 14 stands for 10, 12 or 14 kg/mm springs. Meaning that is takes either 10, 12 or 14 kg of force to compress the springs 1mm.
It's the metric equivalent of the US lbs/inch system, the equivalent here being springs that have a spring-rate of 560, 672 or 784 lbs per inch of compression.

I have the 672 lbs/inch springs on my car and although pretty harsh, I don't find the ride to be uncomfortable.

project still not finished. Interesting call from tein a couple of days ago saying that they do not recommend with the RA going with the higher spring rate on front, they claim if I do this then there is a chance that I will experience bounce in the rear, anyone ever heard about this on here? so they recommended that I go with 12 on front and 14 on rear not the other way around which is what i ordered. Also its looking like all in with new springs on 4 corners I am going to be only 500$ less than a new setup from tein so although I am doing it this time its not really that cost effective to get the overhaul I guess.

//Kye

Did Yamano suggested 16 front 14 rear for track ? Is this track very smooth ?
14 front 12 rear is definitely a good setup for track. For the street you can also use that setup with soft damper setting. I have tried 14 front 16 rear and 16 front 14 rear, I agree with Yamano san that stiffer in the front is better.

Finally got the car back!

Had a chance to look at the overhauled suspension before installation, it basically looked brand new again, with the overhaul, parts, labor and 4 new springs ended up costing me $1800 which is not too cheap but the results are excellent, car feels excellent again, I ended up with 12 front and 14 rear - now to get it on fuji speedway and really see the difference.
//Kye

Back