TCS and Speedometer problems

Yesterday while driving my 92 NSX, I had the CEL come on with a TCS lamp. The speedometer stopped working at the same time. If I re-start the car, the lamps go out for a few minutes and the TCS works fine. The speedometer however stays at zero all the time. Once the CEL and TCS lamps come on, the TCS switch is dead. The car drives fine and feels no different. I have done no recent work to interfere with any of the systems. Any suggestions?

You most likely need a Vehicle Speed Sensor, located on the trans, or it is a loose connection. Check the code, it will tell all:).

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks

I will check the codes but where exactly is the speed sensor? I guess it must be on the transmission housing somewhere. I looked through the manual but could not find any reference. Is it a simple bolt on replacement?

Ian

Can someone post a picture of the Vehicle Speed Sensor location on the transmission. Is it easily accessible from the engine bay? My speedometer acts up every once in a while and I want to see if I have a loose connection.

Thank you very much

The NM speed sensor is accessed from the driver's side of the car. Raise the rear glass and cover, then stand facing the engine and reach down under the air intake and feel around. As I recall, it is visible with a flashlight if you look down in there in just the right spot, but it is kind of "up underneath" the intake towards the center of the car somewhat, so it is a little hard to locate if you are not sure what you are looking for. It is on top of the transmission with a small wire harness running to it. Locate it and make sure the connector is securely connected before you replace it. If you do end up replacing it, it is a straight part-swap, bolt-on job. Nothing extra to remove - disconnect the wire harness, unbolt it (two bolts), then replace with the new one.

Here is my speed sensor thread from two years ago - it contains a small picture of the speed sensor. After replacing it, all the problems cleared up and have remained gone for two years so far. LarryB successfully diagnosed my car online when the dealership failed on two different, expensive occasions.

I am also in Maryland. If you can't find the speed sensor on your car, pm me with your phone number and I will try to talk you through it. If that doesn't work, I would even come by and help you locate it.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=516523&highlight=speed+sensor#post516523

Last edited:
Back