TB/WP quote at McDavid (Austin) = $1585

I just got a quote from McDavid in Austin for the TB/WP service.

They quoted me:

$1585 for TB/WP
$1784 for TB/WP + drive belts (alternator, compressor, and the tensioner)

Sound fair?

Should I do the drive belts too? My car is a 97 and I know the hoses appear solid (I replace the thermostat recently). Do not know about the belts.

That soundsa little high. I had mine down in early 2005 for about $1100 for the TB/WP. I would call down to Sterling and get a quote from them (usually cheaper) and have McDavid Match it. I only deal with Wayne Ruark @ McDavid and he always takes care of me, and knows how I don't settle for "regular price"

As for the belts I would do them at that time...it isn't that much more and good to keep track of all your belts being replaced.

Just an update if anyone in Austin is interested.....

I got a quote from Sterling. Their price was $1679 for the exact same service (TB/WP/belts/tensioner) as McDavid's $1764.

Both had 8hrs of labor - but Sterling was $105/hr and McDavid was $125/hr.

Sterling's parts cost was $839 vs. McDavid's $660.

I called McDavid again - and they said they can't reduce the hourly rate but they are offering 10% off NSX service. So their price is now $1588.

Sterling's parts are priced above list. I found this before when I bought a thermostat and coolant a while back.

So McDavid gets my business next week including a loaner car.

There should be no extra charge on labor for doing the drive belts if you are getting the Timing Belt and Water pump changed. Cause the drives belt have to be removed in-order to get to the Timing belt and water pump. They should only charge for the 2 new drive belts (parts onlys labor is already covered under the TB/WP). Hope this helps.

Good luck
Rahim Jamal

The labor charge was 8 hrs for either option. So at least they didn't attempt to deceive me. Going with McDavid at 10% off their first quote with a loaner car.

Just a final update. Picked up my car yesterday.

Paid $1588 for TB/WP/drive belts/tensioner service. They loaned me a brand new TL to drive. I had it for 4 days. They ordered the wrong WP. So that caused a full day delay.

They also changed the oil which I didn't pay for. They said "it needs an oil change" even though I changed it 1500 miles ago. They called me about the oil but I didn't reply to the voicemail for a while. They did it anyways.

Back