Taxes when buying out of state?

They may, but they don't have to. If they charge you state taxes, then you won't have to pay them (again) when you register the car. If they don't charge you for them at the time of purchase, then your destination state will charge you when it comes time to register the car for the first time. Pay now or pay later. :D

OK.

Just wanted to make sure they weren't gonna charge me their state's and pocket it, while I go to register it in mine and get charged again.

thanks

Jeff

Just bring in your Bill of Sale to the DMV which will show the taxes paid. Good luck!

Sales taxes on out-of-state purchases are generally paid at your own state's DMV office when you go to title the car.

If the selling dealer charges you sales tax, it is probably for their state, not yours, and your own state won't just give you credit for it; you will have to apply for a refund and that may not be easy.

Most state DMVs and DORs (Department of Revenue, which usually imposes sales taxes) have pretty good websites where you can look up the answer to your question. You can look up your state's DMV website here, and your DOR should be similarly easy to find. Search on "sales tax" or "use tax" (which is how some states refer to the sales tax on car purchases).

INSIST THAT YOU PAY THE SALES TAX IN YOUR OWN STATE WHEN YOU REGISTER THE CAR. Avoid a hassle. An uncrupulous dealer can keep the money, or delay paying it for a while. I bought a used RED NSX in FL and when i went to pick it up, the deal went bad. Not only couldn't the dealer produce the title, but he insisted on collecting pennsylvania sales tax IN CASH. He didn't have the correct forms, but assured me that his secretariy would have them faxed and fill them out AFTER I LEFT.

This was Luxury Cars of Palm Beach. They had allot of Mercedes and two Ferrari's siting around.. but i got bad vibes.... The deal went sour, and I left.. Good thing.. I really wanted yellow!

I'm definately going to insist that I pay my taxes when I register the car in my own state. I've been looking at the Colorado DMV page, and have the phone number for it when I go down to the dealer tomorrow. I was kinda sketched out when they said they were gonna collect Colorado taxes in Florida.

Also.. unless you really trust this dealer, do not pay for the car unless he has the title. For me, one of the things that made my deal in FL go bad is that the dealer did not have the title. I called the Florida DMV and was told that it is ILLEGAL for a licensed/bonded dealer in the state of Florida to sell a car without having clear title. When I told the dealer that, he laughed and said "technically so, but we do it all the time".

I didn't walk.. I ran away.

I guess i'll tell you another part of the story. I knew I wasn't going to take the car even before I saw it. After I flew down there, while I was at the airport and I called the DMV, I also called the car's "previous" owner; a doctor in PA who bought an M5 from this dealer. He maintained that he still owned the NSX and the dealer had it on consignment and that he agreed to make the payments untill it was sold in exchange for him driving it. The dealer's secretary gave me his name and number so I could get back the origional wheels that he still had.

He screamed on the phone... "don't buy it.. that SOB has not been making the payments and American Honda is looking to reposess the car.

I wonder if I would have taken the car and given the dealer my cashier's check what would have happned?

Autophile said:
They may, but they don't have to. If they charge you state taxes, then you won't have to pay them (again) when you register the car. If they don't charge you for them at the time of purchase, then your destination state will charge you when it comes time to register the car for the first time. Pay now or pay later. :D

I got lucky with my state's out of state used car sales laws. I paid zero sales taxes on my NSX. I simply had to pay the routine annual registration that cost be $110.:D This was through a private sale though. If I had gone through a used car dealer than I would have had to pay taxes.

mikec[/i] [B]INSIST THAT YOU PAY THE SALES TAX IN YOUR OWN STATE WHEN YOU REGISTER THE CAR.[/B][/QUOTE]I think this is good advice. It's what I meant above when I referred to the selling dealer charging sales tax. Try to avoid paying sales tax until you get it back home. [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ChrisK said:
I got lucky with my state's out of state used car sales laws. I paid zero sales taxes on my NSX. I simply had to pay the routine annual registration that cost be $110.:D This was through a private sale though. If I had gone through a used car dealer than I would have had to pay taxes.
I believe that provision is specific to the state of Hawaii and is not true in most other states.

MikeC, the car is being sold by Rick Case Acura (the "world's largest acura dealer").

It's a great dealership with customer service ALWAYS their #1 priority (I know this from experience).

Jeff's in good hands coming down here.

I test drove the car yesterday for him and inspected it. It's IMMACULATE!!!!! and for $36.9, its a S-T-E-A-L!!

Jeff: me and Gita were going to go partners on it if you didn't buy it and sell it for $42k and pocket the $5k :)

Hogwash!

A Florida dealer has no business charging and colelcting taxes for what will be a Colorado car. I bought mine in FL, and there was never a mention of me paying them taxes.

FWIW, If the dealer is trying to pull this off, what else are they trying to pull-off?!!!:eek:

I purchased my car from a Florida dealer and they charged me according to my state's taxes. In NC, the sales tax is 7.5%, thank goodness the tax on vehicles is capped at $1,500.:)

Mikec - Be very thankful you did not buy the car from Luxury Cars of Palm Beach. That dealership has had many problems over the last two years. Are they still in business? Heck, at one time, they had stop making payments to their floorplanner and the floorplanner was going to take possession of all of their cars. This dealership is very bad news.:(

-Mike

Re: Hogwash!

KGP said:

FWIW, If the dealer is trying to pull this off, what else are they trying to pull-off?!!!:eek:

Umm...they're selling him a car barely above their cost on it...it's a MINT condition 96 NSX-T with 60k miles, upgraded rims, and EVERYTHING in perfect shape...not a single ding or scratch for $36,900!! That car, especially at a dealer, could be sold for $42,000+!!!!! I think he got a deal...and nothing 'pulled off'

Re: Re: Hogwash!

Brian2by2 said:
Umm...they're selling him a car barely above their cost on it...it's a MINT condition 96 NSX-T with 60k miles, upgraded rims, and EVERYTHING in perfect shape...not a single ding or scratch for $36,900!! That car, especially at a dealer, could be sold for $42,000+!!!!! I think he got a deal...and nothing 'pulled off'
Cool, maybe because you're so confident you will personally guarantee no fowl play. :cool:

I was merely eluding to the possibility that where there's smoke, there might be fire. ;) I hope he did indeed get a great deal.

I just purchased mine out of State from a dealer two months ago,the dealer told me it was technically illegal for a dealer to charge for tax from an out of towner,but it`s done occasionally.I just received a temp. tag and drove it home.Good luck with your purchase........

KGP said:
you will personally guarantee no fowl play.
tn_stylizedchicken-Chicken%20and%20Chickens-Chicken%20and%20Chickens-25_0301-0121-5128.gif

Back