task sharing and delegation online software

Anyone seen a simple web based application that allows me to create tasks and assign them to someone else? We are starting to lose track here of everything we need to do and I need to get more organized.

I have looked at
- Exchange 2007/Outlook 2007/OWA - no good, MS has a LONG way to go for any sort of group collaboration
- Zimbra - doesn't allow delegation
- Google apps has nothing like this
- I have bug tracking software that would do this but it's way too complex for a simple task list
- We use Groove for a document repository, but it's a PITA to get the developers to use this because it's not web based, so no good
- I've checked sourceforge and everything I've found doesn't do what I need, is no longer made, or is far too complex to set up.

Any ideas appreciated, short of notepad or Excel.

Anyone seen a simple web based application that allows me to create tasks and assign them to someone else? We are starting to lose track here of everything we need to do and I need to get more organized.

I have looked at
- Exchange 2007/Outlook 2007/OWA - no good, MS has a LONG way to go for any sort of group collaboration
- Zimbra - doesn't allow delegation
- Google apps has nothing like this
- I have bug tracking software that would do this but it's way too complex for a simple task list
- We use Groove for a document repository, but it's a PITA to get the developers to use this because it's not web based, so no good
- I've checked sourceforge and everything I've found doesn't do what I need, is no longer made, or is far too complex to set up.

Any ideas appreciated, short of notepad or Excel.
what about sugarcrm?

http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/products/editions.html

The only thing I see related to tasks there is Project Management which really isn't what I'm looking for. That's overly complex for what I need to accomplish which will prevent people from actually using it. Same reason I can't use our bug tracking system for that.

It so happens I even have SugarCRM installed on one of my Asterisk PBX servers, I've just never looked at it.

You know what, I just tried the online demo and it does have tasks and delegation.... however my god.... talk about OVERKILL and COMPLEXITY..... I'll consider it as a last resort :).

Hi Rob,

I co-founded http://www.VCSonline.com 10 years ago because I was frustrated with project management software. It was too complex, expensive, and cumbersome for the people who were trying to collaborate, manage portfolios, and get their hands around resource capacity.

If you want a step up from some of the others on there I would welcome you to try the VPMi Express ($5/user/month). For most companies, VPMi Express is cheaper then Open Source hosting and very capable (unlimited documents, projects, real workplans, dashboards, Gantt views, issues, timesheets, and status reports).

VPMi Express is free for first 30 days and we have an extensive video training collection to help you get started.

We were the original web-based project and portfolio management system in 1998. This has been our life's work and have over 30,000 users all over the world.

Some other things you might be interested to know about our infrastructure:

* We use top of the line fully redundant Dell PowerEdge 1950 Servers with hot spares onsite
* All servers our housed in the US at CoSentry (our cage is right across from PayPal and Bank of America) – best datacenter in the US
* We use Iron Mountain and have a hot backup datacenter in St. Louis for every imaginable contingency
* All servers have dual gigabit connections and are monitored by an impressive network operating center with 24/7/365 support
* Only full time US employees with full background checks and security clearance/training ever provide support or have access to your sensitive production data

Your projects and your security are important. Please consider a $5/month investment in your project management an investment well spent.

I wish you luck in whatever you land on and you can feel free to write us with any questions you might have.

Best Regards,

Nick Matteucci, Co-Founder VCSonline.com
VPMi = Simple + Sensible + Supportable SaaS Resource & Project Management Software
LinkedIn ID = nmatteucci | Email = [email protected]

Thanks Nick, I'll take a look, we have other collaboration needs as well and as we are growing, more formal project management will become more important.

For tasks only, I just found TaskBin (taskbin.com) - it's free and simple and I'm testing that out to see if it makes sense.

Not web based but...We are Mac based and use Entourage, which is supposed to be the Mac analog to Outlook.

It's not. It's far superior for project management when multiple tasks must be delegated and tracked, assigning and tracking work groups, and keeping tabs on multiple deadlines and information dissemination in either open or compartmentalized work groups.

Exchange/Outlook is a joke when it comes to collaboration. MS needs to get their heads out of their ass in this area. They have nothing that can compete.

On the other hand, I'm happy to report that so far, Taskbin kicks ass for what I need, and it's FREE. So far it does EVERYTHING I needed and I didn't have to install or manage a thing.

Back