Targa top change out, how do you handle the heat ?

While pulling the top out of the storage space, or even the trunk, this thing is crazy hot. I live in Florida and I know the engine is back there but Damn ! Couple that with my metal shift knob having to get a sock over it when I leave the car outside at work for a few hours with the top off and I'm at a loss here. Whole point of getting a targa was to have the roof off as much as possible.

So do you guys just move the top as fast as you can ? Actually keep a pair of gloves in the glovebox ? What ?

Keep gloves in the glovebox:wink:

Before I bought my NSX, I had read many posts on here on how the top would be so hot that one would need gloves. I bought some gloves and keep them in the trunk, but have not needed them so far.

i keep some of those brown fabric work gloves in the car for pulling the hot top out of the engine cover clamshell to put it back on,works like a charm to prevent burned fingers.i usually use them when taking the top off,too.

Last edited:
That's crazy. Looks like I'll have to get myself a pair for the just in case times, almost had to put the top down today and I could see that ending poorly. At least now I won't think im the only one !

P4133193cs.jpg

can anyone say " dinner is ready " wearing those thing people might think your insane LOL

I use one of the countless microfibers in my car to move a hot targa top around if needed.

leather driving gloves......I'm OJ....

Yea leather gloves in FL would be a bit of a stretch, otherwise id be all over it. Used to have them in my supercharged Viper in NY.

What are those OEM things called ? Gloves, mittens, covers, can't find anything online unless you had those made lol

if the glove don't fit you must aquit

What are those OEM things called ? Gloves, mittens, covers, can't find anything online unless you had those made lol

You talking about my oven mitts? I made a stencil and airbrushed the logo on shortly after I bought my car years ago. It was meant as a joke because the roof gets oven hot down here in Florida, but I have to say they work really, really well. The rubberized palm side gives great grip on the roof.

I also painted the logo on a pair of leather gloves but never got around to taking a good picture. In the end, I don't use either. Instead I usually grab a couple microfiber towels from behind the driver's seat and use that.

Hmmm, I never had a problem with too much heat. I guess i dont take the targa off nearly enough or for long enough drives

One warning: Inspired by this thread (and a freshly detailed car that I did not want to get fingerprints on), I put on a pair of gloves to remove the top before a drive last night. Without the natural friction of my hands, I came VERY close to having it slip out of my hands. Dumb move by me.

that is why the leather works well its grippy especially when warm

One warning: Inspired by this thread (and a freshly detailed car that I did not want to get fingerprints on), I put on a pair of gloves to remove the top before a drive last night. Without the natural friction of my hands, I came VERY close to having it slip out of my hands. Dumb move by me.

These are the gloves I use and they are also my driving ones for hot days. They breathe unlike leather and have a texture so the targa top won't slip out of my hands. They're a cheap version of the type used by football players.

These are the gloves I use and they are also my driving ones for hot days. They breathe unlike leather and have a texture so the targa top won't slip out of my hands. They're a cheap version of the type used by football players.

Haha, the gloves I have in my car are extremely similar, but they have the SF Giants logo on them.

Haha, the gloves I have in my car are extremely similar, but they have the SF Giants logo on them.

LOL and your team is way better than mine:redface:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

You could always use a couple of these.

View attachment 116180

The adhesive strips would prevent them from slipping off. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Back