Targa or retractable hardtop?

I know some people prefer coupes but which would you prefer for the next nsx? I would think Targa provides less weight gain than retractable hardtop so I'd prefer targa even though its a hassle to take on and off esp when your caught in a sudden thunderstorm. Definitely don't want it to be softop.

Seems like it would be hard to have a retractable hard top with a MR layout. I'll vote targa (or coupe) for that reason. Maybe something like the Ferrari 575 Superamerica would work?
2005-Ferrari-575-Superamerica-Side-Raising-Top-1024x768.jpg

Retractable hard-tops tend to be very heavy. When ASC added it to the VR4 for Mitsubishi it added immense weight to the vehicle. Also one of the contributing factors to the higher weight of several Mercedes models, and the extreme spec weight differences on the various F360 flavors. For me, simply too much further compromise.

I prefer either the closed top coupe or a targa design like on the Zonda, which can include interchangable panels (solid, safety glass, etc...).

Personally I don't mind having to manually lug it away.. and for adding only 88lbs is an acceptable compromise in the case of the NSX by any measure.

I love the 550 and 575 Ferrari's - but hate the Superamerica. I think it's a clumsy idea.

With a ME sportscar you're gonna have either a hardtop or softtop converible. A hardtop convertible is both very heavy and requires alot of storage space - in the place the engine is stored. It would be quite an engineering feat to make it work.

I usually leave my t-top in my garage if I know for sure its not gonna rain. Its oneway for weight reduction so another good reason for targa :biggrin:

anyone know how much the targa weighs?

I love my targa.

they should do a hardtop and a spider version..... everybody would be pleased. but only if they made it so the ragtop didn't look like trash when it was up (ie, 350Z conv.)

Back