Taitec GT Lightweight exhaust dyno result

Picked up the car at Autowave this morning, yet great service once again, dropping off the car at Autowave is getting addictive. Top notch people.

Dyno result of before/after Taitec GT Lightweight exhaust, with/without silencers.

Specs of the car:

92 5spd, 26k miles, Royal Purple 10w/30, Cantrell AIS with foam air filter. new fuel filter, NGK Iridium spark plugs, Toyo T1-S rear tires.

11309Jason-nsx-dyno1.jpg

Quick review of the Taitec GT Lightweight exhaust:

Sound:
It sounded amazing at idle and when you get on throttle, very deep and rich sound, no more sewing maching sound, can't hear injectors anymore, just as quiet as stock during cruising speed, not too loud at all. No need for silencer.

Performance:
This far exceeded my expectation. There is absolutely no loss of low end torqure at all, which was my #1 concern. Took a brief drive, my jaw dropped completely, the car simply felt much more explosive mid~top range. Not just noticeable, very noticeable.

Quality:
The built quality is top notch, very lightweight, the stock exhaust with heat shield definitely felt so much more heavier, at least 3 times as much. Can't go wrong with Taitec products.

Overall:
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited:
loNfastNSX said:
25 HP gain from just the Taitec exhaust????

Stock looks to be in the 245 range, and with the exhaust you get a reading of 270.1. WOW! That is some serious gains from just an exhaust. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Some of the gain may have been from replacing unknown years old fuel fliter.

I was thinking of the Taitec GT Lightweight, now I really want one! Wonder what the chances of another SOS group buy would be.... :biggrin:

Couple of things to consider also:

1) I have had both the anytime and GT lightweight and there is no question the anytime makes more power. At least on my car.

2) the GT has a terrible drone in the cabin between 1700-2300 RPM. Most people seem to overlook that. It personally gave me headache daily.

For the track, I think this exhaust is great, but for a DD, I would pass.

NetViper said:
2) the GT has a terrible drone in the cabin between 1700-2300 RPM. Most people seem to overlook that. It personally gave me headache daily.

For the track, I think this exhaust is great, but for a DD, I would pass.

I guess I need to hear one. I keep hearing one person say it's quiet as stock, then one saying it drones terribly. :confused:

Re: How much more?

Ojas said:
On a real dyno or a butt dyno? How much more?

Butt Dyno. However, the dyno's I have seen back that up.

I went from stock to taitec to stock to anytime within a few weeks. I have a pretty good feeling on how they perform. However, even if the GT lightweight made 2x more power than anytime, I wouldn't take it.

NetViper said:

I went from stock to taitec to stock to anytime within a few weeks. I have a pretty good feeling on how they perform. However, even if the GT lightweight made 2x more power than anytime, I wouldn't take it.

how about the comptech in term of performance and interior droning comparing to these two?

nis350 said:
how about the comptech in term of performance and interior droning comparing to these two?

Comptech is much quieter and from what I understand makes a little bump in power. Maybe 8rwhp. Some really like it because it is very close to stock in noise, others want a lot more noise. I have heard a comptech without cats sounds pretty good. The comptech does not drone -- at least not the cars I have been in.

No disrespect, but...

NetViper said:

I went from stock to taitec to stock to anytime within a few weeks. I have a pretty good feeling on how they perform.
It’s hard enough comparing figures from one dyno to another unless they are on the same dyno and on the same day. However, on a dyno, at least the some of variables are controlled and the others such as atmopsheric pressure and temperature can be corrected.

I’m sure the Anytime exhaust is great, but "no question the anytime makes more" is almost a meaningless statement considering the lack of control of environmental conditions, the inaccurancy inherent in the test equipment, and way our senses interfere with each - causing the whole perceived vs. real HP thing.

Although both exhausts provide signficiant gains over stock, the difference in output between the two would be very difficult for one to notice by seat-of-the-pants - especially since the margin of error on a real dyno run is a significant percentage of this difference.

NetViper said:

I don't think your butt is sensitive enough after doing all that squats at the gym. My butt on the other hand which stays nice and soft sitting on the couch while fattening up with all the potato chips I eat is super accurate and it tells me there's no noticeable power gain by any exhaust.

I have the GT lightweight on my car (along with DC headers, not sure how that effects the sound). It does drone at around 2000rpm. It's actually a very loud drone inside the cabin. It can get annoying quickly, but I hardly ever have the car around 2000rpm. It sounds so great at higher revs that i always have the car at 2500+ rpm. The car feels much happier at that rpm anyway. I'd definitely choose this exhaust again in a heart beat. I've had multiple people pull up next to me a lights and tell me it sounds fantastic.

ak said:
I don't think your butt is sensitive enough after doing all that squats at the gym. My butt on the other hand which stays nice and soft sitting on the couch while fattening up with all the potato chips I eat is super accurate and it tells me there's no noticeable power gain by any exhaust.

:biggrin:

Re: No disrespect, but...

Ojas said:
I’m sure the Anytime exhaust is great, but "no question the anytime makes more" is almost a meaningless statement considering the lack of control of environmental conditions, the inaccurancy inherent in the test equipment, and way our senses interfere with each - causing the whole perceived vs. real HP thing.

Well, there is no question on my butt dyno. :biggrin: The GT does pull harder than stock, but I noticed it pulling harder probably 6K+. I noticed the anytime pulling harder from 4K and harder than the GT. I was impressed with the GT, but the anytime was to me a better fit. And those that say it felt faster because it was louder, that is not the case at all because the anytime is not as loud as the GT. Anyway, the reality is it was probably only 2-3 rwhp, but to me, the anytime is a better product and does NOT drone in the cabin.

Frankly, it is hard to judge sound quality base on just reviews or sound clips. Obviously everyones opinion is going to be somewhat biased with different personal preference.

Listening it in person is a must in my opinion when choosing an exhaust. They usually sounds different in person compare to sound clips. I am glad I attended SCA meet last month, had chance to listen to many exhausts, they all sounded amazing, especially the Tubi style, B&B and GT lightweight. Big thanks to Casper91 for reving it up for me at the meet and answering my questions. Didn't even know it was GT lightweight on his NSX. He also has stock catalytic converter, stock header and cantrell AIS.

The exhaust will sound slightly different depending on combinations of DC/Taitec/Comptec headers and straight pipe or catalytic converter.

Reading NetViper/David's older post really turned me away from GT Lightweight exhaust for quite sometime. Otherwise I would of picked it up long ago. After listening it 3 times in 3 different NSXs, I was convinced.

David took time to answer private messages from me last year and assured me there is no loss of low end torque installing exhaust without header on pre-97 NSX and recommended Anytime. I have no doubt Anytime must sounded incredible to get recommendation like that from David.

NSXER119 said:
When you dyno your car "stock," did you have the Cantrell AIS?

Stock dyno run was with Cantrell AIS. Unfortunately I had it installed long ago, I would love to have a dyno result of before/after with just Cantrell AIS/foam air filter.

I have not had time to drive it much yet, other than briefly stayed at cruising speed and a few short sprints on the way home from Autowave this morning and, rpm prbobably never dropped below 2500rpm. So I have yet experienced the cabin drone. At cruising speed around 40~55mph, virtually same sound level as stock. Louder but not unreasonably louder at WOT for me, I have heard other NSX exhausts that are far louder than this.

There is silencer option, incase if it is too loud. It did showed decent low-mid range gain over stock even with silencer on.

Looks to be a peak gain of about 23 horsepower over the stock exhaust. The 10-14 lb/ft torque increase down at 4k and above muist feel great. Very impressive. I'm impressed that the exhaust produces more power even with the silencers in place. In general, the TAITEC GT Lightweight appears to produce about 3-4 more horsepower than the discontinued Anytime exhaust.

cheers,
-- Chris

nsxsupra said:
Reading NetViper/David's older post really turned me away from GT Lightweight exhaust for quite sometime. Otherwise I would of picked it up long ago. After listening it 3 times in 3 different NSXs, I was convinced.
Good to hear you picked out the one you like and not somebody elses.

Taitecs are awesome when it comes to RWHP but can be too loud and obnoxious (JMHO).

The GT lightweight for me sounds really good at idle. Very tuff. At WOT, it is great also. I just couldn't deal with the droning in the cabin. I have been told it gets better over time, but I was not willing to live with a headache for months and months.

A friend of mine also bought the GT lightweight (even though I warned him not too!) and his wife wouldn't ride in the car anymore because it droned so badly. He ended up replacing it with the anytime also. :)

Again, everyone is different. The drone might not bother you. I would say cruising at 55-65 with the GT is louder than stock, but not obnoxious. You hear it all the time. Once you get on it, it is pretty damn loud.

NetViper said:
The GT lightweight for me sounds really good at idle. Very tuff. At WOT, it is great also. I just couldn't deal with the droning in the cabin. I have been told it gets better over time, but I was not willing to live with a headache for months and months.

Finally did some extensive driving last night, Indeed there are cabin droning just as NetViper described :(

I much would prefer no cabin droning at all, especially for NSX, but it is borderline acceptable for me, the improved sound overall still outweights the negative for me, the sound level difference is very dramatic when you are on or off gas.

One of the minor plus that I noticed was the cosmetic. Looking the rear from an angle or directly from behind at 15ft or above away is much more cleaner than before, can't see the heatshield. Or a bit of exhaust piping hanging low.

Here is old pics of my oem exhaust from rear:
11309oem-exhaust-2.jpg

Old pic of OEM exhaust from the side:
11309oem-exhaust.jpg

Back