Synthetic Oil

Hi All,

Needs your expertise here. After I purchased the car 3 weeks ago, I had my friend, who is a Honda mechanics for over 20 years, switch the oil out to Synthetic Oil, Mobile 1, I believe. Anyway, I would like to know, do I still follow the 3000 miles/3 months rule, or, can get more out of it with Synthetic?

The 3000/3month rule is bunk, a "Jiffy Lube" rule. Today's cars have tighter tolerances and the oils just don't get dirty that quickly. Once a year or every 5000 miles is what I stick too. Never had any problems. Same schedule with my daily driver.

I think we been drilled for decades about the 3k rule.

there are some different factors that comes into consideration.

blow by
acid build up
dirt and dust
oil break down

im sure im missing some other stuff.

even though you dont drive your car, the acid built up from a cold start is still in the oil and will eventually eat away at the bearings. blow by from the rings also dirty the oil and heat will break down the oil too.

personally. I usually change my oil every 3000 miles... regardless some times I let it go till 5000.

also the majority of my cars including my nsxs are turbo cars.

30$ in oil and a filter is much cheaper than a new engine + labor.

maybe it does not need it, but I feel better changing it out.

also keep in mind for a turbo car, a CHAR rebuild/replacement is not cheap.

for my beater car, its dyno oil, every 3000-5000 miles.

On turbo cars, I highly recommend every 3000 or less depending on how hard the car is driven since the turbos put serious stress on the oil system.

I tried running Mobil 1 extended performance for 5000 in my supra and it hated it. turbos didn't want to spool and the car felt lethargic. changed the oil, instantly the car "woke" up.

the only way to tell what works for your car is to send in the oil for analysis.

i seen people running synthetics for 10000, 20000 miles, only changing the filter and topping off.... scarry but it works for them.

dont cheap out on the nsx. it will provide years of enjoyment. treat it good :)

Last edited:
5000 miles is a good rule of thumb or every 6 months whichever comes first, also has a lot to do with the way you drive.

LOTS of good posts about this in the DIY section.

My take is every 5k unless its track use or once a year (fall, for me) if you drive less than 5k.

I use Molbil 1 in the NSX and then recycle it. It comes out of the NSX after every two track weekends and then into my Integra. :biggrin:

I wouldn't push it past 6 months. You can't drive enough within that time period to wear out today's fully synthetic oils unless you are tracking your car regularly. All highway, you can go 20-25k miles. But if you are doing a lot of cold starts and do not let the car get fully warmed up for extended periods of time (lots of short trips), don't push it past 6 months. I run synthetic in my motorcycles that often see relatively little mileage, after 6 months the oil is toast even if I've only ridden 1-2k miles.

I use Molbil 1 in the NSX and then recycle it. It comes out of the NSX after every two track weekends and then into my Integra. :biggrin:

Do you run it through another filter before placing it in your teg?
I change my oil every six months even though I only put about 3000 miles on it. The oil should be good for my beater (BMW 325) at least another 3000 miles right? This would my cut my oil change budget in half each year.:biggrin:

As a side note, Costco has a coupon for $9 off Mobil 1 right now.

Since I get the car tuned every 7500 miles, and they always change the oil then, I do a straight oil change every 3750 miles. That works for me, and the car doesn't seem to mind either.

What's wrong with the oil change every 7,500 miles (and filter every 15,000 miles...) as recommended by the fine engineers who designed the engine...?

And, that was even before the higher quality oils used today.

/me stands back to watch the fireworks

-D
'04 Rio Yellow / Onyx, due for its second oil change at 15k miles later this month...

I try to replace my Mobil 1 every 3k or so.
The weird thing is that the synthetic in my NSX right now has a few miles on it and yet it is still a rich, golden brown. It looks like it belongs on a breakfast waffle, and I'm wondering if synthetics ever get black and watery like regular oil does.

What's wrong with the oil change every 7,500 miles (and filter every 15,000 miles...) as recommended by the fine engineers who designed the engine...?

And, that was even before the higher quality oils used today.

/me stands back to watch the fireworks

-D
'04 Rio Yellow / Onyx, due for its second oil change at 15k miles later this month...

What time frame do the fine engineers suggest changing your oil? Miles are only part of the equation. I recently switched to rotella fully synthetic for everything. Cost effective, available at most wall-marts, and extremely high quality.

What time frame do the fine engineers suggest changing your oil? Miles are only part of the equation. I recently switched to rotella fully synthetic for everything. Cost effective, available at most wall-marts, and extremely high quality.

Is that a real question, a rhetorical question, or just a sarcastic poke at NSX-2004/074?

The service manual says 7500mi or 6mos.

J

Is that a real question, a rhetorical question, or just a sarcastic poke at NSX-2004/074?

The service manual says 7500mi or 6mos.

J

He owns an 04, the current year is 08, and he is about to perform his 2nd oil change. You tell me.

change intervals are obviously a personal preference but i, for one, can understand the 7500miles specified by the manual (i change it every 5k btw). if you think about it, oil breakdown depands on its temperature and amount of contamination introduced into it (blow-by of rings and valve seals). so theoretically, if you design and engine that runs consistently at controlled temps and has tight tolerances that limit blow-by then you can afford higher oil change intervals.

Greetings

The real question for you is how are you going to drive it? I used to work as a refinery engineer in my youth for one of the major oil companies -- chemical engineer. A certain amount of water will dissolve in oil -- this runs counter to everything you were told when young.

This dissolved water can be boiled out of the oil -- you just need to drive the car long enough or hard enough to get the oil very hot. The time needed is probably about 15 or 20 minutes for the water vapor to have time to get out of the engine -- does no good if the vapor cannot escape and condenses back into the engine oil. This happens when on the proverbial long drive on a freeway. I use Castrol synthetic and change it every 3000 miles. Oil is cheap -- NSX engines are not.

Silicone in the oil is something to analyze for -- it is a hardening agent. Usually means a valve problem is in your future. Other things in oil don't usually have a simple explanation.

Cheers,
Martin

Yes, I own a 2004, which I purchased in September of 2007 with 2,600 miles on it.

The dealer changed the oil at purchase, I had it changed at 7,500 miles, and am now right at the 6 month / 7,500 mile (14,483 miles on the clock) recommended interval for another change. :smile:

I completely respect everyone's choice to chnage their oil when they want to. I just believe the 3,000 mile "advertising" is Jiffy Lube's profit enhancement plan, not a necessity for a modern engine.

-Dave
'04 Rio Yellow / Onyx

Greetings

What I meant was that if you don't drive your NSX very often (mine is a daily driver to work), or if it is just little short trips around town, then you need to change the oil more often.

Martin

Greetings

I would completely change the fluid in an automatic at 30K -- torque converter flush and all.

I would change the grease in a manual around the same mileage. Sooner for both if you track them.

You get water from condensation and metal filings.

Cheers.
Martin

Back