Switching NSX seats

The driver and passenger seats bases are different. IIRC the inner side bolster is taller than then outer side.

You might be able to make it work, but I don't think it will work well.

Drew

The driver and passenger seats bases are different. IIRC the inner side bolster is taller than then outer side.

You might be able to make it work, but I don't think it will work well.

Drew
depending on how similar the rails are, and if you have the original rails for the drivers side, you may be able to swap the bottom parts of the rails(the parts that get bolted down) by simple drilling new holes(or making a hole or two bigger) and switching them

The amount of time and effort you putting into this,, you could buy a new set of leather for both seats, for 629.00 from www.leatherseats.com pony up!

Last edited:
I bought the used seat skins from a person that recovered their seats. I detached the bottom seat bolsters from both seats; cutting the threads with a sharp razor.

I took the passenger back sides and the driver bottom sides to an upholstery shop and they sewed them like new. They even matched the stitch size and thread exactly.

For USD$100 I had a perfect OEM seat skin for the driver side.

Alternatively, you can remove the seat cover and have a new panel sewn in for about the same price.

Again, you will have very poor results if you try and simply place the passenger skin on the driver seat: it won't really work.

Drew

From what I've seen of the sections and threads on seat cover replacement - if you want real professional results then find your self a real good upholsterer and have them take care of your issues. It's really not as expensive as it sounds. At least that's the way it looked to me when veiwing the threads about it.

What I saw when people bought the skins and put em on themselves - it didn't look good to me! The only thing that looked as good as the original was taken to a professional upholsterer and it was cheaper in many cases than buying the skins and installing them yourself. I didn't see any self done installs that looked that good to me.

My 2 cents.

you can use the passenger side seat cover for the driver side. You just have to make holes for the switch.

However you will pretty much take apart the entire seat to remove and reinstall the cover. The rails are part of the seat. You cannot just change the rails.

NSX seats
I did the same thing but I took the perfect left side of a donor passenger cover and sewed it to my original driver's cover. Covers are physically the same but have holes cut for the power switches. The holes would be on the inside if you put a passenger cover on a driver's seat. No big deal, you can't see the holes anyways because of the center console height. Taking the covers off is scary but doable, some of the clips will break if care is not taken to "pinch" them from underneath before prying them out. NAPPA has usable replacement clips if you break some. first remove bottom cushion. The cushion is glued to the metal bottom pan. Use a putty knife and some care to seperate cushion from metal. There are also 2 sheet metal screws up front. I used kitchen counter contact cement to re-attach cushion later. The head rest must be unclipped pulling pins from the back. Reach under the back of the seat cover to access these clips. If you have any questions I'll be glad to help, just PM me. Had the upholstery shop sew all of the worn leather parts back into covers. Installed the rough covers on donor seats and sold them as "cores" for what I paid for the donors! See http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=40514 in my owners gallery "STEVON". Hey, since you have it apart switch bottom seat cushions. This hides wear on the cushion edge where your leg slides in. Cleaning advise: only use oil based cleaner like Zymol Z-507. Any other cleaner like Windex or god forbid Spray9 will remove oil and seats will rip within weeks! Only saddle soap or oil based cleaners! My seats are now cherry. I spent only $50 for upholstery shop and $12 for Zymol cleaner. Good luck with your project
Stephen

Last edited:
Back