Swimming pool caught fire. does anyone know if its covered by insurance?

Yes.. you heard right. My swimming pool caught fire. I have an in-ground vinyl liner pool. It was closed for the winter. It had a small electric pump on top of the cover to drain off rain water. Something happned and the pump shorted and burned up the cord which was draped down over the side. The winter cover caught fire and burned out about a 5 sq ft. section. Where the cord was draped over the edge, the vinyl liner also caught fire and melted along with the vinyl coping on top. I think i'm looking at about $6K - 10K in damage.

After you stop laughing, my question is:

Do you believe this is covered under homeowner's insurance?

I can't contact my agent till Monday.

MikeC

Here is a definite maybe for you.

Check your policy language under "Other Structures." Many policies will pay up to 10% of the amount of insurance for structures not attached to your dwelling as long as the damage is caused by a loss that is covered for the dwelling itself. Arguably, your carrier would pay for damage caused by fire to the dwelling and as long as you have provisions for "other structures" you should have a valid claim.

Bob

I agree with Bob, especially if the pool was in place at the inception of the policy.

I had the pool put in 7 years ago. The policy lists:

OTHER STRUCTURES: $51,850

Is an in ground pool considered a structure?

If you have access to a fax machine and want me to take a look at your policy, check your email for my fax number.

I have to run out for about 1/2 hour but I will be back by about 9:00 in case you want a quick opinion.

Last edited:
I own a pool company called Canadian pools and Spas.
Yes it should be covered by your homeowner's insurance.
We get 20 to 30 cases like that every winter.
We have lots of animals that cause damage to pools and most insurance companys cover it.
The liner on your pool should cost around 1500 to 3500 depending on size and pattern. The winter cover is around 400 to 900 aprox. The coping is a whole different story. The cement deck is atached to the coping and might need to get choped up and replaced.

[Is an in ground pool considered a structure?]
Yes it is!
If it was a above ground pool most insurance companies view this as an accessory and will not cover it.

Good luck Brian.

Back