SUV or light-duty truck for college kid... ~$10k or less

Osiris_x11

Gold Member, Moderator: Marketplace
A friend is looking to replace the college kiddo's '04 Chevy Trailblazer (transmission just gave out, past head-gasket/cooling issues, etc). Requirements are:

- up to ~$10k or less
- low mileage (more important than age)
- SUV or light-duty truck (w/ cab/backseats) or the like
- automatic transmission / 2WD
- "good" gas mileage (relatively speaking)
- reliable/dependable yet still somewhat "fun"
- reasonable to maintain/service w/ affordable repair/replacement parts
- still have some residual value after ~4years (+/- 1year) of ownership (vs. being a donate-worthy/disposable vehicle)

Off'hand, my quick suggestions were:

* Toyota Tacoma
* Isuzu Rodeo
* Nissan XTerra
* Chevy S10
* Ford Ranger

Any others worth notice? If-so, which model-years of the make/model & what things to look out for?

Thanks, in-advance!

Last edited:
I have owned Ford Escapes (a 2002 & 2008) and have found them to be good, inexpensive light duty SUVs. They are small enough to get decent gas mileage, but flexible enough to provide various options. For his price range, I'd keep it simple and go with the older body style. I liked the functionality of the roof rack and found that that fabric on the seats was very durable. Had little to no maintenance issues. My first Escape has been passed around the family a bit, my mother drove it to just under 100k and now my cousin has it and it keeps on ticking. Nice little SUV.

The Toyota Tacoma has my vote. Ultra reliable, durable and excellent resale value. My brother bought a 2003 with the TRD sport package a while back, drove it for over two years and sold it for $2500 more than he bought it for.

The Toyota Tacoma has my vote. Ultra reliable, durable and excellent resale value. My brother bought a 2003 with the TRD sport package a while back, drove it for over two years and sold it for $2500 more than he bought it for.

+1 on Tacoma. I bought 2002 double cab prerunner with 100k miles 2.5 years ago. Now over 140k miles. Just oil changes and an oxygen sensor.

CDF28836-E14D-4950-A764-DF5AD6B3CA0C-21575-000012F8931992F7.jpg

Last edited:
I have owned Ford Escapes (a 2002 & 2008) and have found them to be good, inexpensive light duty SUVs. They are small enough to get decent gas mileage, but flexible enough to provide various options. For his price range, I'd keep it simple and go with the older body style. I liked the functionality of the roof rack and found that that fabric on the seats was very durable. Had little to no maintenance issues. My first Escape has been passed around the family a bit, my mother drove it to just under 100k and now my cousin has it and it keeps on ticking. Nice little SUV.

I second the Escape. My wife has one and I really like it. It's fairly nimble, and with a new set of tires, has become comfortable and quite on the highway. Mileage is ok, around 22 combined.

Miner

honda-element-sc-02.jpg
Honda Element.

I second this. For a college kid.... its great. Plastic floor, removable seats, enormous cargo, low ceneter of gravity and safe, good resale, dependable, decent gas milage. Has a giant sunroof, a good stereo, comes in auto, and the 2WD sport model handles awesome and is very fun. They can be had under 10K.

honda-element-sc-01.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a 2004 pathfinder a few years ago under 10k with 55k on it. has over 100 now and is the best/most reliable/durable SUV i have owned.

My ex had an older honda crv which ran like a champ. Then again she had it since new. It had 140k and ran great. I think it was a 02 or something like that. The only issue is the rear would squeal under full lock while turning but that happened since almost day 1. Other than that it only needed a radiator replacement from a crack.

It was slow enough where you wouldn't really speed. Got around 20mpg as well.

+1

bought mine new in 2004 and it will probably outlast me. As a 100k bday present I supercharged it. Now at 160k and still pulling hard.

Maintenance Items I've done so far.
- Regular fluid changes and filter changes
- Front Brake pads. Rear drum shoes and drum are original, front rotors are still original (amazing wear properties)
- Bilstein shocks (5100 are THE BEST)
- The front ball joints are going bad. Need to replace soon
- Bent a sway bar end link from going too fast on the trails ($12 fix)
- I have to do the Timing belt soon
- Front broken glass from someone trying to break into the car at a USC game
- Replaced the O2 sensor recently
- A/C Freon recharge

That's it. This truck just will not die.

Mileage is mediocre. 17mpg city. 23mpg hwy

This is me rigging up a tow line for the 2500 with those ridiculous smoke stacks. He couldn't get out and the Jeep was a fail at pulling - sounded like the transfer case was going to explode.
20268_223178636587_3447182_n.jpg

Last edited:
You can get my car (Jeep Commander) for super-cheap nowadays. It's luxurious compared to many cars listed here, it's been extremely reliable, any of the engines you can get are powerful. It's probably one of the toughest vehicles you can get. I'm sad to admit I've gotten it into much more than my share of situations that would humble other stock trucks/SUVs and leave them with large bills at an auto shop. I've had to pay for.....an airbag sensor getting knocked out of place and a new windshield.

There was some cost cutting resulting in poor quality plastic used in a trio of parts, all easily replaced - interior door handles, side mirror clips, and rear sunroof shade retractors (all but the base models came standard with -three- sunroofs.) Total spent on those.....$400. $375 of which were those damned handle surrounds. Look to see if they've been replaced already, the damn things. When they shatter (that's a when, not if), you can still open the door lol, it's just aesthetically dreadful and annoying to use. When the side mirrors will shake to the point of uselessness, you know those clips are broken...it's in no danger of falling off for other reasons but I just dripped superglue on the clips and done. The rear sunshade retractor remains broken on my vehicle, so it remains closed. I tried with no luck to repair it.

Anyways, I'm just going on about it now. Great engines that routinely got Ward's lists all around, bulletproof transmission that is also used on the SRT Jeep. Most comfortable car I've ever driven, yet it manages to be without the stupidly dangerous full-size truck body roll in turns. Great stock sound system, though I've improved mine since.

Was made 2006-2010. My 2006 V8 RWD came with 78k and has 94k miles. Bought it at a $12,500 listed price, and was offered between $7k and $8k at a dealership about two months ago. So they're an amazing value, mainly due to the number of them for sale.

That's because of the bad part. Put together Chrysler Corp's V8 engines, the then-largest Jeep SUV designed to be unbreakable off-road, and a curb weight between 4500 and 5500lbs, and you get back abysmal MPGs. Lowest I get is 14 when driving to have fun, highest I get is 16 when driving to save gas. Keep in mind my curb weight is very near the bottom end of that spectrum, and I've heard horror stories of ~11 from Hemi AWD folks.

Though, if you pay to get a used vehicle this good with better MPGs, you would definitely blow the gas money difference for many years out the window. It's the trade-off. For the price, it feels like a major step up in the luxury/quality/drivetrain department compared to others at the same level.

Edit: Two things I forgot to mention are (personally) the great, unique look and the rarity compared to other SUVs. Another plus is the Prime-sized, Commander-specific forum and community online. It's been an amazing resource, albeit Prime's population is definitely much more knowledgeable percentage-wise. Somebody mentioned the Escape - or a few people rather - I would opt for the second gen body style. I have two friends with them, one is early 2000s while the other is 2008. The second one is infinitely better in interior design, and comfort. Could be just his car, but in the V6 w/leather 2001-ish Escape, the seats (and just about every surface) are as hard as rocks!

Anyways, my two cents - or rather, looking back, more like two cents and a term paper!

Clark

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/...E-AD11-48DD67A7313E-5769-000005C562E79188.jpg

Last edited:
Back