Suspension lock nuts

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to install new suspension this weekend and noticed that the service manual calls for the replacement of the self locking nuts that hold the dampers in place. I went to the dealership to inquire about getting some but was told that there are only 2 in stock in the country and no ETA for getting more. Does a new set come with most suspension kits or are people just reusing their old ones? I picked up some generic metal lock nuts from a specialty store but wasn't sure if it'd be better to use these or to reuse OEM ones (perhaps with loctite) since their design is a bit different (generic nut shape without a sholder, thicker walled, zinc plated, and a metal locking instead of nylon).

Screen Shot 2013-05-07 at 6.02.20 PM.jpg
one of the OEM lock nuts (10 x 1.25 from the top of the damper)

Screen Shot 2013-05-07 at 6.04.29 PM.png
some of the lock nuts I'm trying to replace

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-07 at 5.44.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-07 at 5.44.27 PM.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 359
Get yourself some grade 8 flange lock nuts (top lock or nylock is fine) or metric 10.9 and I think you are good. Try mcmaster carr. Use some anti-sieze if you are worried about galvanic corrosion.

Send me the exact sizes and I can pick some out for you on McMaster

Last edited:
The BC suspension comes with Grade 8 Top Locknuts, so you will be fine. You do need to order the big bottom lock nuts though- Honda says not to re-use the old ones.

I replaced all nuts with new ones from Acura. It took a week for them to come in at dealership and it cost for the Fed-x. It's your suspension! I'm not messing around with other parts from other places when we are talking suspension and driving the car hard.
I'm sure McMaster nuts are fine but we only live once. I also believe that if I take [or took] short-cuts, that in ten years the whole car will be short cuts.

In refence to these nuts, the [91] service manual says:
".... replace if the nuts move freely on the bolt ..." ".. it should take .7 [point seven] foot pounds of torque to turn self lock nylon nuts on bolt].<O:tongue:</O:tongue:

Last edited:
In refence to these nuts, the [91] service manual says:
".... replace if the nuts move freely on the bolt ..." ".. it should take .7 [point seven] foot pounds of torque to turn self lock nylon nuts on bolt].<o:tongue:</o

Yes, what Honda is trying to do is just make sure the top lock/ny lock feature on whatever locknut you use is still functioning. If you re-use the fastener enough times that feature won't work, it will spin freely. If you are really worried make sure to come back and check the torque after you've driven on it. If you have to retorque it, do that. Then come back and check again - if it no longer needs to be retorqued you are good to go.

Thanks so much for the help guys, always amazed by how great the community is. I did a bit of looking on McMaster as you suggested Tangoman but unfortunately this particular size seems to be somewhat of a rarity because of the fine threading. I never thought I'd see the day when there was only one option for something on McMaster (M12x1.25 pitch class 8 nylon insert lock nut - 90576A141)!

Silver, I agree with you on wanting to keep things OEM. These McMaster nuts are perfectly up to spec but there's still something nice knowing things are original (as long as its not the factory 91 wheels or exhaust tips :biggrin:). Anyways looks like I'm out of options for now scheduling wise if I want to proceed with the install this weekend. I'm just going to use the existing OEM nuts I have and checkup on them as suggested since I'll have to be making adjustments and checking things repeatedly as the shocks settle to dial in the proper ride height. At that point I'll have the luxury of waiting for a new set to be ordered in if need be.

I wouldn't be to worried about it as long as the nuts haven't been removed 1000 times before. Just make sure that they dont spin freely and stay torqued as stated above.

Back