Super VTEC on NSX II

Back in the late 90s, before the introduction of the S2000, I remember reading a rumor in one of the car mags that there would be 2 switchovers on the cams (as opposed to the standard VTEC's one). This would supposedly enable the engine to rev high and make its power at the top end. Honda accomplished both of these things without having to resort to their so-called "Super VTEC". I can't help but think that if the idea's still floating in the engineers' heads over in Japan that this'll surely make its debut on the upcoming supercar. Can anyone confirm or deny?

MoreRPMs said:
Back in the late 90s, before the introduction of the S2000, I remember reading a rumor in one of the car mags that there would be 2 switchovers on the cams (as opposed to the standard VTEC's one). This would supposedly enable the engine to rev high and make its power at the top end. Honda accomplished both of these things without having to resort to their so-called "Super VTEC". I can't help but think that if the idea's still floating in the engineers' heads over in Japan that this'll surely make its debut on the upcoming supercar. Can anyone confirm or deny?

If you have read "something I read" thread, I have translated an article from and Japanese magazine, which included an interview with Mr. Uehera, project manager of NSX/S2k. He mentioned one of the prototype V10 (which they scrapped) developed for the NSX replacement isa - 3.5 liter V10, 400 HP @ approaching 10,000 RPM. Since he mentioned this number, the engine probably already existed on their test bench...

Maybe that's what's on your mind?

Vancehu,
I just glanced at your original post in the thread you referenced; raw numbers of engine size/configuration are listed, but no mention of new engine technology to be used in said car. Though one would think that with redlines around 10k different means will used to attain (vs. current NSX or S2000) high horsepower and reliability with such ultra-high revs.

Step function variable valve timing is old tech these days. There are production cars now with infinitely variable duration and lift. Not only that, but the intake and exhaust motion is independently variable with respect to one another. In fact, some manufactures have eliminated the traditional throttle body and control engine speed/load completely through valve motion alone (lift, duration and timing). Pretty cool stuff.

I want to see pneumatic or solenoid actuated valve technology!! That way you won't have to depend on cams at all. infinitely variable valve timing completely independent of the other valves!!

The pres of honda said it would be a "ferrari killer" Not sure which ferrari he was referring to but if its the enzo it'll need some crazy FI system for a v10 to kill the enzo. If he was referring to the 430, then NA v10 is sufficient.

Back