Summer time, let the work outs begin

Getting in shape for the summer. My buddies and I have been working out for about 2 months EVERYDAY to get in shape for the summer. I would like to change up my routine a lil as it seems I have hit a lil wall.

Any sites with good workouts or maybe good nutritional information?

I would particularly like to find information on using the ball for excersises. We are soo close to having a deffined six pack and I think the ball exercises will help. I just never did any before with a trainer or at all actually and information about it would be nice =)

thanks for the help guys

If you want a defined six pack, just do short but slow controlled sit-up's. (look at ceiling, chin back slightly, hands behind head, elbows pressed back, short moves up)

Do as many as you can in reps of 10 until you just cant take it anymore. Slowly increase the number of reps. Then take the next day to rest (very important). In 3-4 weeks you'll be looking like you've been on steriods!

No balls required. :rolleyes:

This weekend I will try and scan some of the exercises my physical therapist game me to do w/ an exercise ball. Some are very effective, and were originally designed for college wrestlers for strength and balance training. The best one is when you kneel on the ball and hold onto something solid and anchored and the slowly stretch you body out. The ball will roll from your knees to your pelvis if done right. Then you pull yourself back up onto the ball into the kneeling position. I have yet to be able to do more than 5 of these without my abs and pecs killing me...

You should visit www.bodybuilding.com It is great! Their forum's section is quite indepth.

I must say you have to weed through the information though.

Regards

I defined six pack has almost nothing to do with sit-ups or any abdominal excercise for that matter. You should be doing those because strong abs, obliques and other supporting muscles are a critical part of a properly functioning and balanced body. We must differentiate between funciton and aesthetics when it comes to a 6 pack.

A 6 pack or 8 pack if you're lucky, is purely a function of body fat and genetic muscle seperation. I guarantee that I can go from no pack to 6 pack months faster than the workout-aholic through the employment of a sound diet and moderate excercise. Even a 500 pound blimp has a six pack, it's just hiding under a tub of fat with skin holding it all together. This grossly overweight individual can do sit-ups 24 hours a day for 5 years and still will not have a six pack unless they eat properly and lose weight.

Depending on your fat distribution pattern and genetic ab seperation, most six packs start to show up in the12-14% bodyfat range in males. When you dip below 10%, the edges really start to show up. If you go below 8, they start to look like a topographic map. These are true bodyfat %'s, not the optimistic measures most people use. Genetic factors that help with 6 packs are good muscle sepration. People who have well seperated abs are able to show the makings of a six pack at higher fat levels than someone with subtle ab seperation. Nonetheless, every person has it in them, it's just a matter of how low their body fat must go before it shows up. So do your ab excercises because it is good for your body, but eat properly and drop bodyfat to help your abs reach their aesthetic potential.

As for general workouts, keep in mind the concept of overtraining. Depending on the intensity of your workouts, it can be worse to work out 7 days a week than to not work out at all. Over time, 7 workouts per week (everday), will exhaust your ability to recover and hurt your good hormone levels. Luetenizing Hormone will decrease, testosterone will decrease, cortisol will increase, IGF-1 will decrease and bunch of other fun stuff. What this means is that your immune system will get suppressed from the excess cortisol, sleep patterns will get disrupted further suppressing your immune system.... which will result in you being more succeptible to illness. In addition to that, the lower test levels in an overtrained state will limit your muscle growth and strength increases. These effects don't happen overnight, but over time this is a biological truism that you can not escape. The fact that you are working out in this fashion would lead me to guess you are quite young, somewhere between 16 and 20. If this guess is true, your hormone profile will let you get away with it for a bit longer than someone who is 40.

Try working out 4 days a week with good intensity and take days off in between the hard workouts. I bet your gains will speed up. Of course, eat well! The right foods, proper timing of your meals and macro-nutrient breakdown of your meals is a critical ingredient to your success.

All gains are made while recovering not while you are in the gym working out. So if you spend all your time in the gym, you don't give your body much time to recover.

Last edited:
Wow thanks for all the info sig.

Yeah I know that body fat has to do most with abs and we are eatting 5-6 times a day in small porportions and eatting well also. Cut out fast food and fatty foods. I'm mostly on a deli, steak, pork chop diet and salmon diet. I try to get atleast a good source of dairy calcium for 3 or the 5-6 meals. (cheese/milk) Getting a good 20 minute walk keeping our heartbeats between 130-140 and getting a good run in the evenings in 1 minute walk/run intervals for 20 minutes. I was 180 and fat as I've ever been haha, then lost 20 pounds in a month and am currently trying get my weight back up to 170 with low body fat. I just thought the ball evercises would help build our abs when they are totally exposed. I have deffinition in my abs even when I'm sitting I just want it to be crazy haha

I know working out everyday is bad for you, thats what people always told me and now I know why =P I just thought you wanted to let your muscles recover but I guess there's more to it then that. We have 4 seperate workouts isolating our chest/tri, back/bi, shoulder/misc, and legs. Since we can get away with it I think we will continue to workout everyday for now till well reach our body fat % goal then try to gain some more bulk later. I know most people get big first then get cut but summers a coming haha.

It seems that I have gained faster and am getting stronger faster then before when I had a team trainer and we worked out every other day. Right now we are doing 4 sets and reps of 10-12 with minimal rest to keep our heart rates up during our lifting sessions. But as soon as I get to the point I want to bulk up a lil we'll probably start doing every other day workouts.

Hey sig can I IM you or something? I have a few more questions I'd like to ask about different workouts.

poet_x said:
This weekend I will try and scan some of the exercises my physical therapist game me to do w/ an exercise ball. Some are very effective, and were originally designed for college wrestlers for strength and balance training. The best one is when you kneel on the ball and hold onto something solid and anchored and the slowly stretch you body out. The ball will roll from your knees to your pelvis if done right. Then you pull yourself back up onto the ball into the kneeling position. I have yet to be able to do more than 5 of these without my abs and pecs killing me...

can you scan those in?

Interesting thread, I've just started working out again also. In fact, I'm trying the high protein diet. I'm not on any plan per say, but I'm just using my general knowledge as I've been into working out a few years ago.
And I have to agree with SIG. I've always been told that we all have perfect abs. Even a 300 lb person has perfect abs. It's just a matter of how much body fat covers them whether they show or not. And believe me, diet plays a HUGE part in loosing weight or gaining muscle!

Regards,
- Z

I hope no one minds the minor deviation from the thread, but does anyone have a good nutritional book or set of books that they recommend?

I've been away from the gym for years, and really need to get back in shape and get my energy levels back up. I want to make sure I set myself up for success with the proper nutrition.

Thanks for the help.

NSX FoYoAss said:
Interesting thread, I've just started working out again also. In fact, I'm trying the high protein diet. I'm not on any plan per say, but I'm just using my general knowledge as I've been into working out a few years ago.
And I have to agree with SIG. I've always been told that we all have perfect abs. Even a 300 lb person has perfect abs. It's just a matter of how much body fat covers them whether they show or not. And believe me, diet plays a HUGE part in loosing weight or gaining muscle!

Regards,
- Z

i wouldn't say PERFECT, everyone does have a 6-pack however. with ab exercises you can make them bigger so they look better. but yeah all those big big guys doing all those sit ups probably have nice abs underneath =P

Thngs have been hectic here. When I get a chance to scan those sheets, I will. I need to figure out hoe to do it, as I just got a new printer/copier/scanner, and havn't used it to scan yet. I promise I'll get them up here, just give me a little time...

poet_x said:
Thngs have been hectic here. When I get a chance to scan those sheets, I will. I need to figure out hoe to do it, as I just got a new printer/copier/scanner, and havn't used it to scan yet. I promise I'll get them up here, just give me a little time...

o yeah no rush take your time. it'd be a favor if you did it for me. thanks man :)

I hear Dr. Phil has a good book out...;)

KulSecHskY said:
Wow thanks for all the info sig.
Hey sig can I IM you or something? I have a few more questions I'd like to ask about different workouts.

Sure, no problem.

On a different note....
With regards to diet there are a couple of rules that can help with good meal combinations and timing of these combinations. Let's brake it down to the three main macro-nutrients: Protein, Carbs, & Fats. When ever possible:

1)Never, ever, ever eat a meal dominated by mostly fats and carbs.... i.e. doughnuts aka fat pills. The high levels of simple carbs spike your insulin levels. Insulin being the body's primary storage hormone, will have a tendancy to store all the fat in your fat cells since the high levels of carbs will have little trouble meeting your glucose needs. The unused glucose from the carbs will also most likely be stored as body fat due to the presence of high insulin levels.

2) Do have: protein/carb meals with minimal fat. Try to get as many carbs as possible from good sources.. i.e. vegetables. Your body will have a difficult time storing fat because there should be little free fats floating around in your blood since you didn't include a high fat food in this meal. Your only shot at fat storage is if you over indulge in carbs, especially simple carbs.

3) Do eat: most of your higher carb meals earlier in the day on your non-workout days. Your body uses insulin much more effieciently in the early part of each day.

4)Do eat: meals dominated by proteins/fats later in the day. Fats will ideally come from good sources i.e. flax seed oil, fish oils, nuts, olive oil. Your body has very little insulin response to meals lacking in carbohydrates, particularly refined carbs. So you can get away with eating some vegetables with protein/fat meals since insulin response will be minimal. These veggies also provide ancillary benefits like dietary fiber and natural anti-oxidants.

5) On workout days, immediately following your workouts consume a high-glcyemic index carb meal with protein and no fats at all if you can help it. This is the one time when you want to intentially spike your insulin and take advantage of it's storage capabilities. Your muscles should be thristy to replace the glycogen and aminos used during the workout. The body naturally ups your insulin sensitivity, thus allowing very efficient use of the hormone. The big spike in insulin will shuttle the glucose from all the carbs and aminos from the protein rapidly into your muscle cells...... where they will be put to work to begin rebuilding the muscle cells. Because of the large spike in insulin, your body will begin to clear all the glucose from your blood at a rapid rate. To avoid a blood sugar crash...... eat another carb/protein meal about 45 minutes after the after-workout meal. However, in this second post-workout meal, try to blend the carb sources between fast carbs (sugars, breads, white rice) and slower carbs (veggies).

6) Lastly, don't be afraid of fats, particularly the good fats. Fats provide many benefits like: contributing to the raw materials need for testosterone, aiding healthy skin, your brain likes fats, food fats contribute to a healthy good/bad cholestorol ratio. Maintaining good test levels will be the biggest benefit for your goals.

here are my workout sheets from physical therapy. some of these exercises look easy but are actually rather demanding. I hope this helps...

Attachments

• workout sheet 1.jpg
    workout sheet 1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 175
I guess you could say I "turned the corner" a couple months ago with respect to my diet. I don't really follow one plan, you just have to educate yourself on what foods you should and shouldn't be eating. I read a great article on the Paleolithic Diet (Cave-man diet). I also do cardio 5-6 days per week religously along with 3 types of stomach exercises.

I've been toying with the idea to starting to lift weights again. I work with about 25 different Dr's and I've been bouncing that idea off them recently. Suprisingly most of them said they don't recommend weight lifting. Eating right and cardio is the key. There are 2 of them (one a cardiologist) that are big supporters of it and lift themselves.

Of course if your young and want to look buff for the chickies, then go for it.

There are number of other very nice benefits of muscle mass. The one most pertinent to this thread is that individuals with high muscle mass burn many more calories per day than someone who has average muscle mass. This is not to encourage someone to go out and get as big as possible, but adding 5-10 good pounds to your body weight will go a long way in bringing down your body fat. Even on the days you sit around and do nothing, you are burning more calories and breaking down more adipose tissue for sustained energy than someone else with lower caloric needs. Lower body fat=more pronounced abs.

The nutrional information is great. its like a review session =P

I need to start eatting those good carbs though (veggies)

I'm almost there. I only get a lil roll on my lower abs when I'm hunched over now =)

You should hear my friend and I all we talk about is food. I guess you really do want things more when you can't have it. We'll talk about what we would have if we could eat anything or candy but donuts seem to be the thing we miss most =P

hlweyl said:
I guess you could say I "turned the corner" a couple months ago with respect to my diet. I don't really follow one plan, you just have to educate yourself on what foods you should and shouldn't be eating. I read a great article on the Paleolithic Diet (Cave-man diet). I also do cardio 5-6 days per week religously along with 3 types of stomach exercises.

I've been toying with the idea to starting to lift weights again. I work with about 25 different Dr's and I've been bouncing that idea off them recently. Suprisingly most of them said they don't recommend weight lifting. Eating right and cardio is the key. There are 2 of them (one a cardiologist) that are big supporters of it and lift themselves.

Of course if your young and want to look buff for the chickies, then go for it.

Like sig said... weight training helps soo much because your muscles do burn fat as they just sit there =P My buddy is about my height 5'8 and he weighs 180 pounds all muscle (HUGE) and he'll eat watever he wants... candy bars, french fries, etc and he stays the same.

Your heart rate while lifting is usually right around your target heart rate to burn fat as long as you don't chit chat and waste time between sets/exercises. How many people who just do cardio or aerobics are in shape? hardly any.

Back