suggestions for family/track rat car

In my current state of insanity, I'm thinking of selling my NSX so I'm pondering what could I drive instead. Starting next year I will need to drop off both my kids at school in the morning so I kind of need something with 4 doors.

The only thing that I can seem to think of right now is a high mileage BMW E46 323i or maybe an E36 M3. What options do I have for a daily dirver which I could also do track days in for less than $15k?

Thanks.

Otto

1999-2000 Honda Civic si

SoCalDude said:
1999-2000 Honda Civic si
Unless I could get one with 4doors :) it would be tough since I'd have to buckle up the kids in their boosters and carseats.

It's going to be hard to beat the e36 M3. Awesome stock car, huge aftermarket, still looks better than 80% of the cars out there (yes, it's subjective), good club, huge aftermarket, and a gigantic aftermarket.

Plus, there's a massive aftermarket. :p

otto_joe said:
Unless I could get one with 4doors :) it would be tough since I'd have to buckle up the kids in their boosters and carseats.
In that case can you bump up the $ to about $23-$25k and get a 2003 Mitsubishi Evo VIII? :p

I pick up my kids on the days my wife works. 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser with 175k miles!

Ponyboy said:
It's going to be hard to beat the e36 M3. Awesome stock car, huge aftermarket, still looks better than 80% of the cars out there (yes, it's subjective), good club, huge aftermarket, and a gigantic aftermarket.

So then the question is, how do the E46 non M series compare to the E36 M3? Is there a night and day handling difference between the previous gen M3 vs the current gen 3 series with the sport package?

Thanks.

Otto

SoCalDude said:
In that case can you bump up the $ to about $23-$25k and get a 2003 Mitsubishi Evo VIII? :p

I pick up my kids on the days my wife works. 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser with 175k miles!

Yeah the EVO is nice, but if I start spending that much money, I might actually care about the car. As it is, my kids have thrown up, spilled milk, ground in french fries, etc into the interior of my wife's car.

Otto

Ponyboy said:

Hello,

I completely agree. I had an E36 97 M3, and the difference between my friend's E46 330i and E36 M3 "at the track" was noticeable. Just like an NSX, E36 M3 is a race car in disguise. If I were in your situation, I would pick up an E36 M3 2 or 4 door. It's very easy to maintain, and very fast at the track in stock form.

otto_joe said:
So then the question is, how do the E46 non M series compare to the E36 M3? Is there a night and day handling difference between the previous gen M3 vs the current gen 3 series with the sport package?

Thanks.

Otto

I'm firm believer of you get what you paid for (at least on cars). The M series are truely worth the money, for example, the E36 M3's brakes are much better than the E46 non M's.
the only downside of the E36 M3 I can think of is, its chasis. I've seen some owners talk about the chasis getting alot weaker (more flex) after just 70k miles. I've also heard simular things from my friends who work on cars.
but prepare some extra cash for the maintence on the BMW, cuz it ain't a Honda ;)

otto_joe said:
Yeah the EVO is nice, but if I start spending that much money, I might actually care about the car. As it is, my kids have thrown up, spilled milk, ground in french fries, etc into the interior of my wife's car.

Otto
Okay, then a 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX can be had in the $12k-$14 range. Not sti perfomance but 220 bhp is not bad and you don't have to care about it if you choose not too. :D

So far it seems the E36 M3 is the favorite. The one thing that does worry me is the chasis flex issue though. What causes it? Are there any fixes?

As far as 2002 WRX's go, I can't seem to find one for less than $16k in the Bay Area and most people are asking $18-19k. It's crazy since you can pick up a new one for about $24k OTD.

Chasis will get weaker (or other bushing parts) as the car getting more mileage on it. It happens to any cars.
a fix? maybe a 6 point roll cage :D

polar said:
Chasis will get weaker (or other bushing parts) as the car getting more mileage on it. It happens to any cars.
a fix? maybe a 6 point roll cage :D

Cool, MONKEY BAR for your kids.

yeah, somehow I believed track rat and ride for "kids throwing up" co-exist... as any true track rat is trashed and gutted anyway, so no carpet, you don't have to live with the seats if they throw up, heck, maybe just get a leather/plastic seat and custom mounted them for easy cleaning and removal...

Question is, how far you wanted to go?? :p

otto_joe said:
As far as 2002 WRX's go, I can't seem to find one for less than $16k in the Bay Area and most people are asking $18-19k. It's crazy since you can pick up a new one for about $24k OTD.

I am looking at replacing my beater with a 2002 WRX. I think it works out best and I have seen them out there for $17 at the dealer so I think you could probably get one for $17 OTD.

IMHO, it is the best mid-performance, cheap, 4 door out there. Sure an E46 M would be great but to get one I would guess you would need to get a 96-97 to keep in the mid-teens. I would rather have the WRX, just for the sleeper factor.

NSXDreamer2 said:
Cool, MONKEY BAR for your kids.

yeah, somehow I believed track rat and ride for "kids throwing up" co-exist... as any true track rat is trashed and gutted anyway, so no carpet, you don't have to live with the seats if they throw up, heck, maybe just get a leather/plastic seat and custom mounted them for easy cleaning and removal...

Question is, how far you wanted to go?? :p

Track rat in the sense that I could do a few track days with it and not care about cosmetics. I wouldn't be gutting or caging it for hardcore racing. I guess a better term would be a daily driver/beater. I'm currently exhausted of being too emotionally attached to my car.

Hiroshima said:
I am looking at replacing my beater with a 2002 WRX. I think it works out best and I have seen them out there for $17 at the dealer so I think you could probably get one for $17 OTD.

IMHO, it is the best mid-performance, cheap, 4 door out there. Sure an E46 M would be great but to get one I would guess you would need to get a 96-97 to keep in the mid-teens. I would rather have the WRX, just for the sleeper factor.

The WRX makes a lot of sense, especially the wagon. I guess I'll only be voiding one year of the warrantee of a 2002 if it track it. :D

Anybody know how those suby engines are holding up as they get more mileage on them?

PHP:
I'm currently exhausted of being too emotionally attached to my car.
Then don't let go of the nsx, you'll be sorry... :p

if you are the same type of person as me, then getting a beater will not work, the "details" is deep in your mind, as long as you drive it more than 3 days a week... before you know it, you will start waxing and detailing... Then looking up internet, buy this and that to improve your ride.

I believed the Subaru engines are generally holding up well if you keep it stock (or light tuned if you doing it right.) but don't expect they handle good on track event without some modification on tires and suspension.

NSXDreamer2 said:
PHP:
I'm currently exhausted of being too emotionally attached to my car.
Then don't let go of the nsx, you'll be sorry... :p

if you are the same type of person as me, then getting a beater will not work, the "details" is deep in your mind, as long as you drive it more than 3 days a week... before you know it, you will start waxing and detailing... Then looking up internet, buy this and that to improve your ride.

I believed the Subaru engines are generally holding up well if you keep it stock (or light tuned if you doing it right.) but don't expect they handle good on track event without some modification on tires and suspension.

That's scary, you know me too well. ;) I do tend to be caught up in the details and can't leave well enough alone. I've pretty much tinkered with any vehicle, mine or not, that has come my way. I have the modification bug big time and I've been told there is no cure. :D

I've been through several sportbikes and I've clean, polished, waxed, modified, etc, but I just don't get that attached. If they get stolen, wrecked, or it's time to sell them, it's no problem.

With the NSX it's just different. Some of it is the fact that I changed my major to engineering when the NSX came out and the other part of it is knowing that it's pretty darn impossible to replace where as with the sportbikes, beemers, subies, etc. they are a dime a dozen.

Maybe selling the NSX will be the most bone headed move I make in my life next to selling my 69 Chevelle for $500 back when I went off to college, but who knows. Right now I've got a need for a 4door and a wife that's been on my case about selling the NSX ever since we had kids.

Otto

srt-4's are roomy and pretty fast.

vtecNSX1 said:
srt-4's are roomy and pretty fast.
The thought of a Neon was proably the last thing I'd think of but it sort of meets the criteria of a sporty family car.

Hmm, get rid of the tacky spoiler, change the hood and it might make for a fun sleeper. The only thing I would worry about is how the front wheels handle all that power around turns.

actually they handle surprisingly well. also the 04's have a lsd which helps tremendously.

Back