• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sub replacement???

Hmmm... interesting.

I have installed a similar type powered sub unit in my NSX. Mine was manufactured by Kenwood. I installed it behind the drivers seat against the firewall. It came with a corded remote for adjusting the crossover and gain/volume which I placed in the armrest compartment. It doesn't produce groundshaking bass but it is a definite improvement over the factory subwoofer. I was planning on using it as a temporary intermediate step until I get around to making a fiberglass box for the passenger footwell.

Late,
Koji

I don't think that's a bad idea. Some, probably most, would not agree, but it's worth considering. Here is a picture of a Bazooka tube set-up.

Attachments

• DSC04868.JPG
    DSC04868.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 205
Might want to check one out first. Read the single review on this item via the link to crutchfield. One unhappy camper tried this solution.

Shaun Ray said:
Might want to check one out first. Read the single review on this item via the link to crutchfield. One unhappy camper tried this solution.

Honestly if not installed properly the Kenwood unit I have in my NSX would produce the same type of distortion as the reviewer of the Clarion unit mentions in his review @ crutchfield.com. The solution is to mount the woofer box securely to the car using the supplied brackets and to keep a certain amount of air space in front of the woofer (i.e. do not have the seat pressed right up against it). Any subwoofer custom or pre-assembled will not sound too good if it has fabric or leather placed right on top of the speaker cone. Also if it is not secured to the car the cabinet will resonate and vibrate against the floorboard, firewall, or other surrounding structures and produce even more distortion.

I have a bazooka tube subwoofer in one of my other cars and have been relatively pleased with its performance over the years.

Back