Structural integrity/rigidity: Targa vs. Non-Targa

Has anyone here spent extensive time in both types of cars? Is there a significant difference between the 2?

I've always thought of myself as wanting a non-targa, but I am wondering if I should open myself to the idea of a targa...

Thanks.

Most people that i know with the targa seldom use that feature. Unlike a Sunroof where u can push a button, u have to make sure the nsx is parked, and do all this sequence and later reverse it.

I always wondered about the wear and tear when u move things around like that.

Also, the chassis is simply not as rigid as the coupe.

I actually take the top off often. I live in SoCal, so the weather pretty much permits this year round.

The coupe is stiffer, but I think unless you are driving the car hard at the track, the differance is negligible. I beleive some that are more knowledgable than I have said that the NSX T is stiffer than some coupes (not sure on this point).

Adding the Type R chassis bars will help. I will also admit that I could stand a good deal of training/practice before I can start blamming the car.

If you are tall, the coupe has more headroom. I'm 6'5" and have to run the Dali seat cushion to really fit.

I've owned both and the coupe is noticeably stiffer than the T. That said, I really enjoy driving with the roof off, and the small effort needed to stow & mount it is worth it IMHO.

acura made a number of changes to the body structure to make it stiffer in 95 when the targa started
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year#Changes_for_1995

i have driven a coupe and didn't find it noticeably stiffer,but have not owned one or driven one extensively.i also enjoy being able to take the top off-it can be magic on a nice day.

russ,did you find the targa less stiff only when the top is off,or also when it's on?

Last edited:
Is there a significant difference between the 2?

If you are going to the track, take a coupe with chassis stiffening: this bar, that bar, springs, shocks, brakes, turbo, spare engines, racing seats, a briefcase full of cash, etc

If you are just street driving, either is suitable although in a targa you may want an aftermarket chassis-stiffening triangular bar mounted over the engine to firm it up, several options out there.

I prefer the stiffened targa as its enjoyable to have the top off and not a big deal to remove/replace, just have to treat the top and seals with care.

I haven't driven a Non-Targa, but I can say that my 99 is very noticeably different with the top off, but the body definitely feels solid with the top in place. The top off is great for crusing, but if you want to push it a bit I definitely recommend the top on. I can image a hard top much better if the track is the main use for the NSX. Just my experience and $0.02

All depends on how you plan to drive your car or even if you car that the targa is less stiff.

Driven both quiet a bit(my 94 and friends 01, both stock) I've noticed that the targa model with top on seems to have A-pillar shimmy when driving over imperfections in the road. I could feel the vibration travel up from the strut tower and into the pillars. However, on the 94 coupe the harshness would be isolated at the strut tower seemingly better. Im not a track driver, but it bothered me enough that I bought the hard top.

in a targa you may want an aftermarket chassis-stiffening triangular bar mounted over the engine to firm it up

This would be for looks only. It will not firm up the chassis more than the stock one that comes on the NSX-T.

A 1991- 1994 coupe will generally be less expensive, sometimes significantly, then a NSX-T if that makes a difference to you.

Last edited:
We have had both in the family and I have driven both regularly. I have a T in the PNW, never do I put the top on. I love going topless. The wind, the view, the sleekness far outweighs anything else. BTW I hate driving when it is stiff. :biggrin:

The Coupe is more rigid than a T with the roof off...however with a Type R front and lower brace the T becomes just as rigid as a coupe with the Roof off, and you will only feel the differences on a Track

I added in addition to the Front and Lower Type R brace, a Stmpo Front brace, and the car now rigid as a coupe with the roof off.

You can't beat a T for a nice evening cruise down any roadway.

PS I don't track my car

Hope this help
Bram

The Coupe is more rigid than a T with the roof off...however with a Type R front and lower brace the T becomes just as rigid as a coupe with the Roof off, and you will only feel the differences on a Track

I added in addition to the Front and Lower Type R brace, a Stmpo Front brace, and the car now rigid as a coupe with the roof off.

You can't beat a T for a nice evening cruise down any roadway.

PS I don't track my car

Hope this help
Bram

Then my NSX must be the Navy SEALs since it's a coupe with the chassis bars and STMPO RSTB that was meant for the targa.

Driving an NSX with the roof off on a summer day through the mountains is magical.

If I were worried about every last thousandth of a second on the track, I would have a coupe, but I'm not, I'm worried about getting the most about of enjoyment out of my car that I can.

If that means giving up that tenth or two when I'm racing it because it's not quite as stiff as a coupe then so be it. It's not like I'm competing for anything more than bragging rights anyways.

That said, IMO at an amature level all years of the NSX are close enough performance wise that the driver will be the deciding factor of which car is faster.

I have never driven a coupe, so my comments are from a Targa only standpoint...

When roof is on, there is much less (if any) "jiggle" of the windshield/A pillars...mostly noticeable and easy to contrast to when the roof is off when on a particularly rough road with numerous small bumps and you see the rear view mirror with little vibrations in it

When on, I can't really notice these at all, as the roof obviously acts as a method of bracing entire windshield.

The roof on off process - easy, and less than 15 seconds...only way it could be simpler is if you had someone else do it for you and you stayed in the car...

I almost never drive with it on-up here on Canada, the car is driven in summer only, thus roof is almost always off to enjoy the summer..wind noise is more pronounced of course on the highway, but can't beat the feeling around town with windows down, and roof off.

STMPO rear strut bar - very noticeable difference from OEM, the first thing I noticed on my first drive after changing it. No question it makes a difference....

If indeed a coupe is more stiff (and logically it would be) , its not that the Targa is not stiff, its just the coupe is "more" stiff... other than the little jiggly rear view mirror, you wouldn't notice a thing

As many have said, unless you plan on driving car hard at the track, you would not be dissappointed with Targa...at least you have an option to remove or not....with coupe, no choices

I really enjoy the flexibility I have with a Targa...

there's my (biased) opinion...

I never use the targa, but I absolutely would not trade my NA2 for an NA1 coupe. I've been in an NA1 coupe and the performance difference was a lot more noticeable to me than the difference in rigidity

Then my NSX must be the Navy SEALs since it's a coupe with the chassis bars and STMPO RSTB that was meant for the targa.

See that makes more sense... nsxprime banned you... so you and your car went and killed bin laden since you had so much free time.

Now I know why the goverment states... there is no seal team 6.... but there is a Batman

:)

russ,did you find the targa less stiff only when the top is off,or also when it's on?

A coupe is noticeably tighter than a T, regardless of whether the top is on or off. The difference is most noticeable on rough roads. However the car is still respectably tight with none of the "death trap" feeling of, say, a '69 vette convertible.

When driving the T (top on or off) the steering column tends to vibrate a bit on rough roads. I don't recall the coupe doing that.

When the T's top is on the car feels somewhat sturdier than when the top is off, yet on the flip side you tend to hear more squeaks when the top is on which diminishes the impression of sturdiness somewhat. Dressing the weatherstrips on a regular basis helps stop these squeaks.

A coupe is noticeably tighter than a T, regardless of whether the top is on or off. The difference is most noticeable on rough roads. However the car is still respectably tight with none of the "death trap" feeling of, say, a '69 vette convertible.

When driving the T (top on or off) the steering column tends to vibrate a bit on rough roads. I don't recall the coupe doing that.

When the T's top is on the car feels somewhat sturdier than when the top is off, yet on the flip side you tend to hear more squeaks when the top is on which diminishes the impression of sturdiness somewhat. Dressing the weatherstrips on a regular basis helps stop these squeaks.

Ive had 3 Ts and the only one that squeaked was my first (1998) with a somewhat unknown history. With my 03 (bought new in 03) and my current (1999 with well known history) you'd never know you were in a targa. No exaggeration there isnt a single squeak.

Also, I found the difference between the T with top on vs T with top off to be more noticeable than the Coupe vs T with top on, but of course all of this is subjective. IMO coupe is clearly tightest, T with top on is close, but not as tight, T with top off is noticeably less tight.

Last edited:
My targa only comes off for a female passenger :smile:

As others mentioned, stock vs stock you'd rather have an Na2 that is perhaps 1% less rigid than an Na1 ... regardless, driver is what makes the difference.

Oscar

i rode in my friends NA1 coupe before and I can say that his car felt more solid hitting the hard corners than my NA1 T. however, i am not a track person nor do i plan to run my car on a track so that didn't really bother me. to me, the nsx-t is a excellent compromise between a sports car and a convertible. I like the exotic looks of the T off,and stowing away the targa takes hardly any effort at all. a caveman can do it. =P if you live in an area where you would never take the top off, then a coupe would be more ideal.

like other have said, w/o the top you can kind of feel the car twist or flex going over rough roads or if you have a angled uphill driveway like i do. a simple fix for some creaking noises was installing the STMPO front lower bar and possibly the rear STMPO triangular bar. The STMPO bars are probably overkill in regards to structural strength but i have no complaints about that. if you push your car hard, love tracking and want to expend every ounce of performance from an nsx, a coupe would be better. if you're willing to compromise a fraction of performance for more value (in my eyes), then get a T.

Back