Street Racing

A 29 year old employee of the company I work for was killed yesterday racing his Mazda RX7 on the street. His car went over an embankment when he could not stop in time. Police estimate his speed at 100mph by the length of the skid marks.

IF YOU WANT TO DRIVE FAST DO IT ON A RACETRACK NOT ON CITY STREETS.

People still don't get it. People have that stupid "it won't happen to me" attitude... that's what will kill you.

Last Thursday night I was challenged to race BIG time. I was in my daily driver Honda Accord. It was a black Honda Civic that came right out of Fast and Furious. He was trying his hardest to grab my attention... it included turning on and off his underbody neon lights. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.

I have a good friend that is totally into street racing also and nothing you can tell him changes his mind. He thinks he won't ever get caught or in trouble or worse get hurt. Secretly I sometimes wish something minor bad would happen so he would open his eyes and realize the dangers of what he is doing.
I can understand and relate to wanting to drag race, but there is a time and place for everything and the street ISN'T it.:mad:

On a related note:

Porsche Driver Killed Speeding on SoCal Freeway

COSTA MESA — The driver of a new Porsche died late Tuesday when he lost control of the sports car while apparently trying to catch a car that had passed him on the Costa Mesa (55) Freeway, the California Highway Patrol reported today.

The Porsche, so new it didn’t have license plates, went down an embankment onto the San Diego (I-405) Freeway and zipped across all the southbound lanes into the center divider, investigators said. The driver was ejected and killed, even though he was wearing a seatbelt.

The victim hasn't been identified yet, but is believed to be a 23-year old man, possibly from San Diego.

Investigators are trying to determine if a race was in progress when the crash occurred and whether the driver knew the driver of a black car the Porche was chasing, CHP Officer Denise Quesada said.

The incident began at about 10 p.m. on the northbound lanes of the 55 when the new Porsche was passed at more than 100 mph by a small black car, witnesses told the CHP. The Porsche's driver then appeared to try to catch the car that passed him and lost control when traffic slowed near the 405 interchange, they told the CHP.

It's unknown how fast the Porsche was traveling.

Quesada said it slammed into a guardrail, ripping it from its posts, rolled down an embankment, then went airborne onto the southbound 405. The Porsche crossed the southbound 405, possibly hitting a 1993 Toyota Corolla driven by an Anaheim woman. She told officers she felt an impact and lost control of her car. She received minor injuries.

The Porsche then hit the 405’s center divider, and the driver flew out of his seatbelt onto the northbound 405, where he was hit by several cars, Quesada said. He was decapitated and died at the scene.

"I called 911 and said you have an accident in the southbound lane but the body is in the northbound lane," said Adam Swain, a motorist driving home to Huntington Beach after a softball game. "I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a Cadillac run over the body.

"The body had no head, it freaked me out. I couldn’t sleep all night."

Soichiro said:
A 29 year old employee of the company I work for was killed yesterday racing his Mazda RX7 on the street.

Gwinnett police seek second car in fatal street race

By MARK DAVIS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Sherwin Moreno may have won the race, say Gwinnett County police, but he lost his life.

Now investigators are searching for what they think may have been a second car participating in an illegal drag race early Sunday morning at an industrial park near the Gwinnett-DeKalb line.

Police theorize that Moreno's modified 1987 Mazda RX-7 was not the only car hurtling north on a narrow, straight stretch of Ponce de Leon Circle about 3:30 a.m. Sunday, said Cpl. Dan Huggins, a spokesman for the Gwinnett Police Department.

"The evidence we're looking at indicated that they were either racing, or they were there to see racing," Huggins said.

The report, said an official with the Governor's Office of Highway Safety, sounded all too familiar.

"I hear more and more reports of law enforcement having issues with drag racing," said Ricky Rich, director of law enforcement services for the governor's safety program.

The reports have come from Cobb and Gwinnett counties, where police so far this year have investigated three other fatal incidents of alleged illegal drag racing.

According to investigators, Moreno's Mazda, fitted with a roll cage, failed to stop where Ponce de Leon dead-ends into Button Gwinnett Drive.

The Mazda began skidding at about 90 mph, screeched 391 feet through the intersection and struck a curb on Button Gwinnett. Then it went airborne, flying over a low stand of bushes and crashing into a truck trailer 20 feet below in the parking lot of Schutz Container Systems, police said.

Moreno, who turned 29 less than two weeks ago, was pronounced dead at Dunwoody Medical Center, said Huggins.

Moreno left behind a girlfriend and child, Huggins said. If Moreno's crash is linked to illegal drag racing, his death will be the sixth such fatality in the metro area this year.

In February, Matthew Lane, 17, the son of a Snellville police officer, was killed in a three-car wreck on U.S. 78 that police attributed to street racing.

The next month, say police, Gwinnett teens Wendy Jennings and Susan Osley got into an impromptu race on Peachtree Parkway that ended when Jennings flipped her BMW and it landed in the path of a car driven by Julia Burns, 61. Burns and a passenger, Jacob Miller, 17, were killed.

Police have charged each teen in connection with the crash.

In May, Cobb police investigated what they said was an illegal drag race on Interstate North Parkway that killed Charles E. Perry, 28, of Union City, S.C., and Hayden Joseph Wallace, 25, of Easley, S.C. Police said they were back-seat passengers in a 1998 Chevrolet Z-28 driven by Scott M. Alexander of Easley.

Rich, who helps the Governor's Office of Highway Safety conduct seat belt and DUI enforcement programs, wonders if recent films, especially "The Fast and the Furious," a 2001 movie about drag racers, have glorified illegal racing.

"After that movie came out," he said, "I got more reports about drag racing from police chiefs."

Very sad stories. I wish people would realize this and drive more responsibly.

Joel said:
On a related note:

Porsche Driver Killed Speeding on SoCal Freeway

COSTA MESA — The driver of a new Porsche died late Tuesday when he lost control of the sports car while apparently trying to catch a car that had passed him on the Costa Mesa (55) Freeway, the California Highway Patrol reported today.

The Porsche, so new it didn’t have license plates, went down an embankment onto the San Diego (I-405) Freeway and zipped across all the southbound lanes into the center divider, investigators said. The driver was ejected and killed, even though he was wearing a seatbelt.

The victim hasn't been identified yet, but is believed to be a 23-year old man, possibly from San Diego.

Investigators are trying to determine if a race was in progress when the crash occurred and whether the driver knew the driver of a black car the Porche was chasing, CHP Officer Denise Quesada said.

The incident began at about 10 p.m. on the northbound lanes of the 55 when the new Porsche was passed at more than 100 mph by a small black car, witnesses told the CHP. The Porsche's driver then appeared to try to catch the car that passed him and lost control when traffic slowed near the 405 interchange, they told the CHP.

It's unknown how fast the Porsche was traveling.

Quesada said it slammed into a guardrail, ripping it from its posts, rolled down an embankment, then went airborne onto the southbound 405. The Porsche crossed the southbound 405, possibly hitting a 1993 Toyota Corolla driven by an Anaheim woman. She told officers she felt an impact and lost control of her car. She received minor injuries.

The Porsche then hit the 405’s center divider, and the driver flew out of his seatbelt onto the northbound 405, where he was hit by several cars, Quesada said. He was decapitated and died at the scene.

"I called 911 and said you have an accident in the southbound lane but the body is in the northbound lane," said Adam Swain, a motorist driving home to Huntington Beach after a softball game. "I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a Cadillac run over the body.

"The body had no head, it freaked me out. I couldn’t sleep all night."

when did that happen?? it sound scary........

i wonder if american graffitti glorified drag racing, i wonder if grease glorified drag racing, i wonder if gone in 60seconds glorified drag racing, i wonder if smokey and the bandit glorified drag racing, i wonder if cannonball run glorified drag racing:rolleyes:

i wonder if 'seven' glorified serial killings...........
i wonder if ............
street racing has been around forever...some people cant be reasoned with, facts of life ;) ruins it for the rest of us, but finding scapegoats annoy me. There are people in rust boxes dragging each other too. This is why i got hounded in my car, it looks like an import car so he MUST drag race:rolleyes:

never see the stories about the thousands of other enthusiasts that arent idiots 'cos thats not newsworthy.

street racers going off and killing themselves don't really bother me...

But killing other innocent people and destroying other people's property is what pisses me off. The sad thing is that street racing really proves nothing... so what that you can step on the gas pedal and shift... a monkey could do that.

I'm with you Kenji. My best friend was killed instantly because of street racing. He was a passenger in another vehicle.

It pisses me off when people try to race me. Especially when I have my daughter in the car! :mad:

I went off on a Camaro driver when he went off after I politely declined his challenge. His girlfriend was in the car... I asked him how he would feel if he killed his girlfriend. He was visually upset... but I think I got to him... I hope I did.

kenjiMR said:
street racers going off and killing themselves don't really bother me...

Sorry, but I don't agree with this. Anyone dying is sad. Yes, much more sad when the person is innocent, but still sad for the people who make the wrong choice to street race. No offense kenjiMR, just my $.02.
Regards
Z

NSX FoYoAss said:
Sorry, but I don't agree with this. Anyone dying is sad. Yes, much more sad when the person is innocent, but still sad for the people who make the wrong choice to street race. No offense kenjiMR, just my $.02.
Regards
Z

People die in professional racing as well, but very rarely do spectators die. What they do with their life is up to them... they chose their fate. Its usually kids who are too stupid to comprehend the physics of going fast... its an unfortunate waste of potential, but its out of our control isn't it?

I totally agree. And I totally agree racing should be in a controled enviroment. And I also agree that street racing is out of control. For example, I browse another board for local Imports. These guys post everyday their kill stories, how they tried to race so and so, and calling people out to race, and where to meet etc. etc.! And trust me, it annoys the hell out of me when someone tries racing me when I'm just out and about.

brainwashed kids they are...

They need to have a _really_ cool movie or television series about proper motorsports . They learn what is "cool" from the media as well as other idiots perpetuating it. They spend tons of $$$ on their car and they have no clue where to utilize it other than on the street. Every major city should have a proper race track so people can take their cars to them.

92NSX said:
That is so true. Problem is since we have this type of car, everybody thinks that is what we want to do.:rolleyes:

Even street racers look down on street racers who race on the streets. A lot of the san jose street racers race late at night in industrial areas and have people looking out at both ends of the streets. An accident can happen anywhere though. I once saw a lady kill 5 people because she spilled coffee on her lap. This was coming home from Tahoe.

We all can hate something pretty easily. Drunk Drivers, Smokers, Street Racers etc. This topic is and endless discussion.

Kenji, I would think that your sticker on your car is just a way to fool cops. A cop comes up and says oh this guy is not a street racer, i'll let him go. Your other sticker, follow me to certain death sounds like "hey try to keep up with me, but I doubt you can cuz you'll crash." which in itself sounds like street racing.

offtopic: Kenji are you going to buttonwillow this saturday? I'll be there with my friend craig. Only $90 for the whole day via speedtrial.

ryans said:
[offtopic: Kenji are you going to buttonwillow this saturday? I'll be there with my friend craig. Only $90 for the whole day via speedtrial. [/B]

Damn, thats tempting. I'll see if I can get in last minute by calling on friday... lots of work to do this week... might have to work on saturday.

Racing is safer in controlled environment like race tracks. But yet, most people are more comfortable doing mountain runs, which I consitute more dangerous than driving school at the track. Why? Is it because of insurance issues?

At the track you don't have oncoming traffic, no surprises like bicylclist or animals running across the streets, or trees right on impact zone.

Circuit are designed with runoff areas. Where they don't have runoff areas, they put tire walls.

For those that avoid race tracks, yet do mountain runs from time to time, what is your reason?

Back