Strange VIN?

I just got offered a "97" NSX. But what made me think is that it has the 3,0L machine in it. So I asked for the VIN and regarding to the NSXprime Faq there is the "6" in it which stands for "6 = 1997+ NSX-T with Power Steering, Dual Airbag, Active Belt" but I also found the "T" which stands for "1996". No doubt it is a 1996 model but the T confuses me?!

Perhaps it's a coupe? There were four NSX coupes sold in 1996, and, as you can see from the FAQ, the decoding of the 8th digit of the VIN does not specify what the value would be for a '96 NSX coupe.

The sixth character specifies which engine - "1" for the 3.0 liter, "2" for the 3.2 liter.

bitbuster said:
You're right. It's a coupe. The entire VIN is: JHMNA11600T300020

Probably not a US market car; it doesn't conform to all of the conventions used for NSXs sold in the USA.

Some of the characters are consistent with a US VIN, but the T isn't in the position that refers to the model year. The T is in the position that refers to the assembly plant (Tochigi, Japan).

The check digit (0 in the ninth position) is consistent with the rest of the VIN, for what that's worth.

97+ is 3.2L and 6-speed tranny unless it's the auto. There is no way that is a 97+ car, coupe or not, if it is 3.0L and 5-speed trans.

The VIN numbers don't lie, but you need to know what market that car was shipped to so you can decode it. The title thing may be the result of some strange local regulation that allows "never driven" cars to be titled as being of the year in which they are bought. Meaning if a 94 sat in a dealers lot never titled for 3 years, it was allowed to be titled as a 97. This may be possible.

spookyp said:
97+ is 3.2L and 6-speed tranny unless it's the auto. There is no way that is a 97+ car, coupe or not, if it is 3.0L and 5-speed trans.

The VIN numbers don't lie, but you need to know what market that car was shipped to so you can decode it. The title thing may be the result of some strange local regulation that allows "never driven" cars to be titled as being of the year in which they are bought. Meaning if a 94 sat in a dealers lot never titled for 3 years, it was allowed to be titled as a 97. This may be possible.

Exactly, thats how cars are being sold in most countries in Europe.
My NSX is a 1993 on the owners documents (also a NSX from Germany), but the VIN is of a 1992 (T100266).

If you search a bit on the forums, you will find more info on the Euro VIN.

Back