Stolen Integre Type R

I know this is not the correct place to post this, so if anyone has the info to post on ITR forums, please let me know. My son's 2000 Phoenix Yellow ITR was stolen this weekend in San Francisco. It had a lojack unit but the car is still missing. I've never faced this before so I have some questions. I'll have to wait thirty days before anything else can proceed. What should I expect to receive from the insurance company? The Kelly blue book is 16-17k for a 50,000 mile car yet I can only find examples on Autotrader for 23k and up. Lojack will pay me 5,000 as part of their guarantee, but does this still apply if a stripped down car is recovered?

Thanks in advance.

This probably won't make you feel any better but if it is in same shape that my sister's ITR was in when it was recovered after being stolen, there won't be anything left. Engine was gone, interior gutted, body cut in half.

Good luck.

As you may have guessed from my avatar, I know a little bit about the ITR. ;)

Yes, the ITR forum on honda-tech is the most active ITR forum and the advice and expertise there are generally good.

With low-volume cars such as the NSX (9,000 cars in the U.S.) and ITR (3,500), the services such as Kelly Blue Book are often way off base in estimating market value.

A 2000 ITR with 50K miles in excellent condition is worth somewhere around $18K.

In negotiating with the insurance company, first see what they're offering; you may be surprised. (They go by the black book, not by KBB.) If you're not satisfied with their offer, you can justify your claim by providing support in the form of ads for similar cars for sale, as well as testimony from "experts" familiar with the ITR market.

The insurance company owes you fair market value for your son's car. If Kelly Blue Book or even NADA is well under what they are actually selling for, ask them to show you a car that is actually selling for that. Show them the auto trader ads, go online to honda tech like previously posted above. There are always a few for sale on there. Look in the paper. They won't find any selling for KBB price. And of course if your son has pics of the condition of the car or any pics with the car in it that would show it was taken care of, that will help alot. Also, if he has had any work done on the car or anything, make sure he has recpts for that. Even if he just had new tires put on and, they can pay him for some of that cost.

Back