Stock NSX Performance

Hello,

Now, I am going to try to not this sound like too much of a noobie question, so please bear with me. I do not own an NSX right now, but I hope to sometime in the next few years. Right now I have the money and everything for one, but I want to get out of college (am a senior now) and get a job and home before I make that purchase...it'll be kind of a gift to myself for reaching a goal I've set for myself (independence).
Anyway, enough of my life story. I was just wondering what the overall feeling is on the NSX in stock form - both in performance and handling. I've never driven an NSX (only seen 2 in my life if you can believe that :eek: ), but trust me I plan to before I make the final decision. I have owned an RX7 in the past, and I know that the handling was great from the factory, but it always felt a little sluggish with the turbo lag and everything. So I was wondering what the feeling is on having a stock NSX, since if I get one I want to keep it for a long time, take care of it, and enjoy it.
I guess my question is, how perfect is the NSX in stock form, and what areas are it most lagging in? I LOVE handling, which is one of the reasons I love the NSX so much (other than the MR and the sexy lines). However, I also like power and acceleration.
I guess I have to appologize for the rambling and kind of dumb question. I am just trying to figure out now how much I'm going to have to do to the car after I get it to make it perfect for me. Just like to hear some testimony from you guys who have owned these awesome machines from the beginning...how great is it in stock form and what did you have to modify to suit your taste?

Thanks for your comments,
Tyler

If you are driving a b18c turbo now I think you might feel the acceleration is better on that than a NSX. Simply because turbo cars have more sudden burst of power. And especially Honda turbos, I have been in some and they are seriously quick.

The bigger capacity (3.0/3.2) of an NSX engine is noticeable, and you can feel seriously more torque lower down than other 4 cylinder Hondas. Basically it is easier to drive fast. But once you get used to it, you will feel just the same as before and think this engine have not enough pull lower down.

Even if your B18c turbo might have same bhp/ton ratio as the NSX, the mid engine layout of the car just make it have a better traction. Only other cars I felt that might have had better traction was a Pulsar GTiR. In NA CRX with 200+ hp and 300hp turbo CRX, it could NOT get the traction required because they were front wheel drive.

Comparing to an RX7, RX7 has no torque, and NSX doesn't feel like that. Boosted 7 is quick and the NSX doesn't feel like that either...

(all comments are from experience driving cars I imported from Japan.)

Last edited:
CRX B16B VTEC said:
If you are driving a b18c turbo now I think you might feel the acceleration is better on that than a NSX. Simply because turbo cars have more sudden burst of power. And especially Honda turbos, I have been in some and they are seriously quick.

The bigger capacity (3.0/3.2) of an NSX engine is noticeable, and you can feel seriously more torque lower down than other 4 cylinder Hondas. Basically it is easier to drive fast. But once you get used to it, you will feel just the same as before and think this engine have not enough pull lower down.

Even if your B18c turbo might have same bhp/ton ratio as the NSX, the mid engine layout of the car just make it have a better traction. Only other cars I felt that might have had better traction was a Pulsar GTiR. In NA CRX with 200+ hp and 300hp turbo CRX, it could get the traction required because they were front wheel drive.

Comparing to an RX7, RX7 has no torque, and NSX doesn't feel like that. Boosted 7 is quick and the NSX doesn't feel like that either...

(all comments are from experience driving cars I imported from Japan.)
The CRX with 300 hp would be a traction nightmare!!!! I had a stock CRX SI that would spin and torque steer you off the road with about 85 WHP. I have problems with a 300 hp CRX having better traction than an NSX! Front wheel drive cars do not have better traction than most RWD car, expecially Mid engine cars. Front wheel drive= good traction in the snow.

Tyler, Let me do my best to answer your questions. I myself am a new NSX owner (1 month ago) that just purchased his first NSX at 25 after buying my first home. I bought a nice low mileage '91 that also happened to be bone stock. The following is my story...

A stock '91 is deceptive. It is so quiet and sounds like a sewing machine compared to the 400hp 300ZX TT that I had. Immediately, I missed the turbo boost to a point to where I thought the NSX was actually "slow" compared to the Z. In all reality, the Z is quicker out of the hole with that kind of HP, but like I said, the NSX is deceptive. The reason why is that it is just soooooo smoooooooth...... It almost felt ho-hum accelerating through to 8k RPM. Then your brain kicks in and says "HOLY CRAP! This car is spinning 8K RPM!!" This is when you realize that your speedometer has a linear relationship to your tach, and that you are officially doing 90mph on a city street. Then those great brakes come in... But back to the point. It is just so civilized, quiet, and smooth that you don't realize that the car is actually really fast!

Therefore, I did 2 things to make mine perfect. I needed to make it look and sound as fast as it really was, so I bought a set of 17/18 rims for it, and had a custom Flowmaster exhaust made. Now there is no question when it revs to 8K RPM. You know it, as does the guy that you just passed. And the guy behind him. And... you get the idea. NOW the car looks and sounds as it should. I don't have any of the problems of thinking that the car is "slow" anymore, nor should you. This car is awesome in how it looks, drives, handles, and just presents itself. It looks fast just sitting in my garage. I loved my 300ZX, but this car is entirely different. It is the last step between a japanese sports car like the Z and a Ferrari. In fact, it feels like a hybrid of the two. In fact, a wise man once noted that the NSX is a supercar designed by a car company with a real engineering department... and it's the truth.

Now, what was your question again??? :confused:

Hey Tyler

I am in Temple City, CA 91780. if you are not too far away from me, I can meet with you and then you can drive my NSX to answer your own questions. let me know :biggrin:

Damn that's a very generous offer, and thank you to all of you who have helped out. It has made my craving grow even more! Unfortunately, I am in MI right now, so I wouldn't be able to meet you :( However, maybe Devin at Payn will let me hitch a ride in his once it's finished :D

Back