Stick Or Auto?????

I know everyone like's the 6 speed, but how are the auto's truly?
If you are just using as a Sunday or every other day of the week what is the preffered choice? Exspecialy for city driving? :confused:

for the love of God...STICK!!!! :biggrin:

basically it breaks down to this:

6sp Manual:
290hp/224tq
3153lbs

Auto:
252hp/210tq

so unless you seriously cannot drive a manual car, get a stick:cool:

I drive my car in heavy traffic 5 times a week and still would never want an automatic NSX. If i feel like not driving a stick car in traffic, i take the Cayenne :tongue:

My friend Paul has a '96 with an auto. He lives in Chicago (major traffic) and his wife does not drive a stick. He has no complaints about the car and loves it, and his wife does use it occasionally.

He did have to have the trans rebuilt at around 52K miles though. There is a reason the HP is dialed down on those. They are still quick. An auto NSX is still enjoyable, but even at the lower HP, they can wear over time.

Personally, I would never, ever consider an auto. I'd drive something else (and do) when conditions favor an auto. But an auto NSX beats no NSX at all if it's an either/or.

I had an auto. '97 and just got a 6 spd. '05. There is a huge difference in the performance of the two cars, not to mention resale value. Very few people will even consider an auto. NSX. I felt like I gave it away.

JOYSTICK :biggrin: :biggrin:

Manual is the only way to go. The nsx is one of the easiest stick cars I have driven.

Lime Green NSX said:
I know everyone like's the 6 speed, but how are the auto's truly?
If you are just using as a Sunday or every other day of the week what is the preffered choice? Exspecialy for city driving? :confused:

Stick for life:biggrin:

Automatic and NSX does not belong together imho, I would not mind drving automatic cars like SL55.

I would have to say the NSX is one of the easiest to drive sticks I've ever tried. My wife (who calls all manuals "clutch-o-matics") found it a breeze as well.

I could live with an auto, that certainly wouldn't be my choice.

An automatic would take all the fun out of it. Even if you can't drive a stick, get one and learn..trust me you won't regret it. :wink:

I began my NSX search trying to find an automatic - thank God I could not find one that was clean and a 2001. I drove a stick and that solved the problem. It is the easiest stick I have ever driven and my wife feels the same. She loves driving the stick as much as I do. PLEASE go drive a stick to see if it will work for you; you might be surprised.

Thanks Guys.... :smile: :smile: I have always said myself it would be stick. But I have been driving my C36 Mercedes for 7 years and well it only comes auto.. So I have adjusted from my 93 prelude that was stick. All so I have a 2001 Odessey that ONLY comes auto as well. so you can see that i have really become boring.....!!!!!!! I do know that stick is the only way more pep and more fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Thanks to ALL that posted threads !!!!!!!!

In a car like this, stick. If you can get a SMT, that's best. Then stick, then slushbox.

If you want an automatic, get something like a SL500 or SC430. Those are sports-style coupes.

Bumper to bumper sucks in any stick. But, the car has so much more go with a stick than w/ a slushbox and that is assuming that it's NOT detuned, as the NSX auto is.

Driving a car like this with an automatic transmission is virtually sacrilege. I know Porsche does it, but what other high-end sports/exotic marque would? I guess the big british GTs are, but, they also have massive V12s.

Get an auto and a stick and your problem is solved. :D ;)

In all seriousness, when I bought my first NSX I was in Chicago all the time and in that fun traffic they have on the Skyway where you go nowhere for about 2 hours straight at time....then I would be in the city traffic after that. At the time the automatic made sense since I did not feel like dropping $2,200 on a clutch every couple of years, but as soon as that time in my life passed I bought an NSX with a manual gearbox. I can count on both hands the amount of times I have driven the automatic NSX in the past couple of years, as I now greatly prefer to drive the manual NSX. I have relegated the automatic NSX to a life of leisure and my mother uses it as her daily driver now, or I will loan it to my brother to use when his car is getting fixed. So it is still getting miles....just not a whole lot from me. Zipping the NSX up to the 8,000 RPM redline is more for me.....and use of a clutch makes the car a true joy to drive. :)

I drive my stick M3 and my stick NSX in Boston traffic all the time. Driving stick in traffic isn't the most fun, but if you like driving it is worth the sacrifice.

No sports car should be an automatic, that is like castration.

If you can't drive stick; learn. You will always regret the automatic, but always be happy you got the stick.

-Jeremy

Last edited:
No sports car should be an automatic, that is like castration.

-Jeremy[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

My neighbor has an SLR McLaren and Aston Martin V12 Vanquish (not sure whether you consider a sequential manual an auto), but I wouldn't be so harsh to say there is no such thing as an automatic sports car.

RyRy210 said:
My neighbor has an SLR McLaren and Aston Martin V12 Vanquish (not sure whether you consider a sequential manual an auto), but I wouldn't be so harsh to say there is no such thing as an automatic sports car.

I wish my neighbor had those cars... All he's got is ML Mercedes and a Porche Boxter. :frown:

RyRy210 said:

When I say automatic I mean just that, an automatic. A good sequential is a different story.. If that is what you prefer, by all means get it.

-Jeremy

Back