Stereo knob

At night you can tell that the 'volume / on off' stereo knob has the black part worn out. The light shines around and between the buttons. I checked with Acura and the knobs are replaceable but a bit pricey. I decided I'd just pull it off and re paint the inside black around the edges. Problem is...........I cant get the knob off.
Anyone know how to do this? I oulled it pretty hard but got concerned that it might break.
Thanks, Danny
94' Red - stock bose stereo

I just replaced my volume control knob with an OEM part from A&M in suburban Philadelphia. The price was approximately $13. It was on backorder for 2 weeks. I agree, it seemed like I was applying a lot of pressure, but the knob finally began to come off. All I did was grab the knob on both sides and pull straight out. Popped the new one on in under 30 seconds, start to finish. Good luck!

try sticking a credit card or similar plastic (no metal!) tool in the gap to get some leverage. Or just grab on, bite down, and pull for all it's worth. It pulls straight off.

I need a new radio knob too. I pulled all the knobs off to clean them when I first got the car, and I guess I got carried away with the radio knob because now light shows through in a bunch of places when driving at night . Does anyone know the part number?

As long as you folks are taking the time to remove the knobs I think it may be worth your time to just spray them with a satin paint and see how that worked. I paid over $22 each and bought all the knobs (4 in all) and was bummed to realized that it was just a little bit of paint on clear plastic.

If you have the paint sitting around it can't hurt, the worst thing that could happen is that you would have to buy a new knob :-) which you were going to do anyway.

JMO

Jeff

Thanks for the link :) First I think I will try the suggestion of spraying the knob and see how it turns out.

Another knob question

Do the knobs differ between years? I seem to recall another post claiming that you can only buy knobs for the newer cars and that the new knobs have a "charcoal" color to them and were not all satin black as is the case with the older cars?

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Back