States that require a front plate.

Has anyone seen how the plates will be attached yet?

Mine will be coming off right after inspection but I am curious as to how they are attaching them.

From the pictures I have seen they have a plate holder that screws right into the bumper.

IL requires a front plate but my WI based dealer said they would only drill it if I want them to.

any chance you have another car registered with the old MA green plates? They were grandfathered to allow you to only have a rear plate

I left explicit instructions, no drilling. I will find a way to pass dealer inspection even if it looks goofy as hell.

From my experience I will get away with no front plate on a car like this.

On my RS7 I have a clip on bracket, hard to remove but it is a tool free procedure. I plan to do the same for the NSX.

In my area there is only one town that gives two craps about a front plate so I will have to put it on from time to time but most of the time it will be off.

I live in NJ. Been living here for 10 years. This is a state that requires front license plate, none of my cars (with exception of my KIA) has a front plate. I have never gotten a ticket once for it yet. Even if I did, rather get 1 ticket per X amount of years rather than have it. Have a ford raptor with 75,000 miles and not a single ticket...

Also, what do you mean inspection? This is a new car, it doesn't require inspection..

I live in NJ. Been living here for 10 years. This is a state that requires front license plate, none of my cars (with exception of my KIA) has a front plate. I have never gotten a ticket once for it yet. Even if I did, rather get 1 ticket per X amount of years rather than have it. Have a ford raptor with 75,000 miles and not a single ticket...

Also, what do you mean inspection? This is a new car, it doesn't require inspection..

Don't know if its a MA thing but new cars get inspected at dealership and sticker is applied. A front plate is required to pass MA inspection.

BTW, I did already confirm that part. My dealership has its hands tied. No front plate, no inspection sticker and no sale. All it needs to be is "legally" attached and when it comes to that there is quite a bit of leeway.

Wow that is strange. Not like that here. I bought one car in FL and another in NJ, none required inspection. Both had inspection that came with it, I think it lasts 3 years.

Wow that is strange. Not like that here. I bought one car in FL and another in NJ, none required inspection. Both had inspection that came with it, I think it lasts 3 years.

When they list an exhaust as 49 state legal, take a guess which state is the 1 where its not. ;)

Massachusetts General Law Chapter 90 Section 16

No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust.

- - - Updated - - -

For the record (and I totally do not agree with this, its only an observation) you will only get pulled for loud exhaust if your car is not really nice. My RS7 and loud as hell, passes inspection without issue. Tell me how stock this sounds:

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfa1/t50.2886-16/11719778_1585616881698815_2044895594_n.mp4

Where I live no inspections are ever required. :tongue:

I read through the dealer prep check list and it shows the front plate holder using self taping screws. It says to screw into the dimples right behind the grill. While it doesn't look like it would deface the car as badly as others, it is adding new holes. I wouldn't do it.

Why not just attach the front plate using two sided 3M adhesive pads? It should hold it on there tightly enough to pass an inspection without looking like a temporary installation.

Sure, but that will look like a temporary installation. Although depending on what the law says it may not matter. I just checked the WA state law and it simply says the plate has to be "attached". No where does the law stipulate how securely or permanently it has to be attached. This would imply that even velcro is ok.

Sure, but that will look like a temporary installation. Although depending on what the law says it may not matter. I just checked the WA state law and it simply says the plate has to be "attached". No where does the law stipulate how securely or permanently it has to be attached. This would imply that even velcro is ok.

I have a bull bar installed on my Sequoia that makes it hard to "correctly" install the front plate so I zip tie the plate directly to the bumper. It passes inspection just fine so I think I will be fine here if that is the way I need to go. I still find it really hard to believe that drilling is required on a car like this.

Of the four front grill panels, the upper center is faux grill, while the other three are actual vents for the cooling system.
As Bram mentioned, blocking off one of the vents with a plate might result it heating issues, so I can see why Honda is suggesting affixing the plate over the center faux grill.
However someone more clever than I can surely fabricate a tasteful mount that will put the plate over the faux grill but not need any drilling.
The key will be to hold the plate far enough in front of the faux grill that air pressure on the plate won't allow it to bang against/rub the faux grill and make worse marks than two screw holes.

Last edited:
I still find it really hard to believe that drilling is required on a car like this.

According to the dealer checklist drilling is not required. Here is exactly what it says....

"If state regulations require the use of a front license plate, install the front license plate holder using the self-tapping screws. The remaining four self-tapping screws are for attaching the plate."

The diagram shows dimples where the screws go. I'm assuming these dimples are indentations in a plastic piece designed to guide the screw as it bites into the plastic. However the picture does not provide enough detail to say for sure.

From http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-005.PDF

According to the dealer checklist drilling is not required. Here is exactly what it says....

"If state regulations require the use of a front license plate, install the front license plate holder using the self-tapping screws. The remaining four self-tapping screws are for attaching the plate."

The diagram shows dimples where the screws go. I'm assuming these dimples are indentations in a plastic piece designed to guide the screw as it bites into the plastic. However the picture does not provide enough detail to say for sure.

From http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-005.PDF

Technically, using self-tapping screws is drilling - except instead of a drill bit, the screws themselves perform the drilling action. This is quite different from, say, the S2000, which has dedicated screw nuts behind the bumper, the holes for which can be covered up by little plugs, meaning the S2000s front plate holder can be installed and removed and it would look just like a car that never had a front plate to begin with. With the self-tapping screw method, once a front place holder is installed, the bumper will never look like a non-plate bumper even if the front plate holder is removed.

I bought one of these after a nice state trooper advised me that a front plate is required in the state of Oregon.

<header id="header" class="page-header" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px auto; padding: 0px 30px; border-bottom-width: 6px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(207, 27, 26); font-family: 'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B'; color: rgb(99, 99, 99); font-size: 12px; line-height: 14.201587677002px; background: rgb(0, 0, 0);"><nav id="nav" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">
</nav>
Sign In0 Items

<form id="search_mini_form" action="https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/" method="get" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><input id="search" type="search" name="q" value="" class="input-text required-entry" maxlength="128" placeholder="Search entire store here..." autocomplete="off" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 40px 0px 8px; font-family: 'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B'; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.5; color: rgb(255, 255, 255); -webkit-appearance: none; border-radius: 2px; border-style: none; height: 30px; width: 208.413223266602px; max-width: 100%; outline: none; background: rgb(0, 0, 0);"><button type="submit" title="Search" class="button search-button" style="margin: 0px; padding: 7px 15px; font-family: 'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B'; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; cursor: pointer; touch-action: manipulation; color: rgb(255, 255, 255); border: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; vertical-align: middle; white-space: nowrap; text-indent: -9999px; position: absolute; top: 0px; right: 0px; width: 40px; height: 40px; background-image: none; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;">SEARCH</button>
</form>

</header>
  • NSX/
  • ScienceofSpeed Front License Plate Bracket Kit - NSX, 1991-0 ...

<form action="https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index.php/checkout/cart/add/uenc/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuc2NpZW5jZW9mc3BlZWQuY29tL2luZGV4LnBocC9uc3gvZXBwL2V4dGVyaW9yLWFjY2Vzc29yaWVzL3NjaWVuY2VvZnNwZWVkLWZyb250LWxpY2Vuc2UtcGxhdGUtYnJhY2tldC1raXQtbnN4LTE5OTEtMDUuaHRtbD9fX19TSUQ9VQ,,/product/288/form_key/D2CNP2gZO8rXzCpP/" method="post" id="product_addtocart_form" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(209, 23, 24); font-size: 16px; line-height: 18px; word-wrap: break-word; text-align: justify;">
epp-1102.jpg

• epp-1102.jpg

DESCRIPTION

Need to mount your front license plate, but don't want the obtrusive factory plastic bracket affecting the lines of your NSX?
The ScienceofSpeed Front License Plate Bracket is designed to be a secure mounting solution for the NSX. It best integrates the license plate to the front bumper by placing the plate at a slight angle inset into the bumper that best follows the shape of the front bumper while still allowing legible viewing of the license plate required by many state laws.
The bracket uses a special high strength yet lightweight aluminum alloy that is laser cut and precision bent to allow the license plate to sit securely in the bumper yet suspending it away from painted surfaces to prevent scratches. The bracket features a durable black anodized finish and the kit includes all mounting hardware required for installation.
Installation takes less than 10 minutes, fastens to factory mounting locations, and is compatible with all NSX years (including 2002-05 NSX) with out modification. The bracket is compatible with worldwide license plate mounting patterns and most license plate frames, including the ScienceofSpeed license plate frame.

ScienceofSpeed Front License Plate Bracket Kit - NSX, 1991-05
epp-1102
$49.50

<input type="text" pattern="\d*" name="qty" id="qty" maxlength="12" value="1" title="Qty" class="input-text qty" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px 8px; font-family: 'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B'; font-size: 19px; line-height: 1.5; color: rgb(209, 23, 24); -webkit-appearance: none; border-radius: 0px; border: 1px solid rgb(209, 23, 24); height: 32px; width: 76px; max-width: 100%; text-align: center; vertical-align: middle; float: left; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;"><button type="button" title="Add to Cart" class="button btn-cart" style="margin: 0px; padding: 5px 28px; font-family: 'Gotham SSm A', 'Gotham SSm B'; font-size: 18px; line-height: 22px; cursor: pointer; touch-action: manipulation; color: rgb(255, 255, 255); border: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; vertical-align: middle; white-space: nowrap; border-radius: 0px; float: left; background: none 0px 0px repeat scroll rgb(209, 23, 24);">ADD TO CART</button>

</form>

This is yet another thing I like about the first gen NSX. With an aftermarket
or homebrew mount, the front plate can be recessed two inches behind the
nose of the car: about as unobtrusive as possible for a front plate.

I learned that if the front bumper is drilled for a license plate, it appears that the impacted piece is a piece of black plastic that can be replaced without having to paint a bumper.

I learned that if the front bumper is drilled for a license plate, it appears that the impacted piece is a piece of black plastic that can be replaced without having to paint a bumper.

Does me no good if I am driving around with holes in the front while I wait (likely forever) for a new part to come in. I have 0 interesting in drilling happening at all.

Back