Stalling issue

I have a totally stock 2005 NSX with original 42000 miles. Several years ago it began to experience a stalling issue. Didn't matter if I was driving 80 MPH on the freeway, or 5 MPH in my driveway, with no warning it just dies. Used to take 3 restarts till it would run again. Now it seems to take a lot more. For a while it was totally random, it would stall constantly, or it would go for months without stalling. I have had it in several shops, including an Acura dealer. No error codes to diagnose the issue. The best solution so far was from an Acura NSX tech who suggested replacing the ICM. That solved the issue for a while, but now it is stalling worse than ever. I just replaced the ICM for a second time and I can't even get out of my driveway. Any thoughts? :confused:

Ignition switch? Or main relay? Any other symptoms when it stalls, as in do dash lights go out? What is a "restart till it would run again"? Do you mean that it turns over but does not start, and eventually it fires and starts (sounds more like main relay)? Or does it fire when you turn the key but die as soon as you let go (sounds more like ignition switch).

sounds like a main relay to me,good suggestions above by jwmelvin

When I say restart, the engine will fire, run for a second and then die. This morning I started to drive out my 1/2 mile long driveway and it died about halfway to the main road. After several restarts I got turned around and drove back to my house, stalling 2 additional times. Parked it in the garage and drove my truck to work.

- - - Updated - - -

No additional symptoms - the dash lights stay on. Car seems normal in every other aspect.

If you're looking for a little sunshine.. at least it's doing it consistently now.

I'd rather have a car that stalled every 5 minutes than a car that stalled every 5 days, or even 5 weeks. Intermittent issues are a nightmare, problems that are easy to recreate are that much easier to diagnose, and in turn remedy!

I installed the new relay last evening and drove the car today - so far no stalling. Thanks to all of you for the assistance!

I installed the new relay last evening and drove the car today - so far no stalling. Thanks to all of you for the assistance!

you're welcome.if you read prime enough,when an issue like this comes up you will often have a pretty good idea what the problem is.

With cars this old and enthusiasts willing to share their knowledge/experience, this forum is outstanding. Glad you got her running.

Back