Stainless steel mugs

Will some one please help!

I've been looking for a stainless steel mug that actually works for such a long time

I tried the cheap stuff and it seems to seep heat just like a plastic cup would. I then tried the expensive stuff and still, it wasn’t much better.

All I want is to enjoy a cup of hot coffee and I drink very slowly, taking a sip once in a while and then continuing work.

I thought that these stainless steel mugs can hold heat for at least three hours, but so far non of them seem to work.

Did anyone of you guys/girls ever bought a stainless steel mug that actually works?

Last edited:
>>I've been looking for a stainless steel mug that actually works

I don't understand. Are these mugs supposed to keep liquids hot? It seems to me that metal is a BETTER conductor of heat than plastic and would therefore do a poor job at keeping something warm. Perhaps you want a Thermos (vacuum-style) mug that is designed to keep items hot, or an electric mug?

NeoNSX said:

Great Ideas, using a USB as a coffee wormer, how come no one ever thought about it before, very cleaver.

Too bad these two items don’t seem to work properly and I think it would difficult carrying them around, not to mention you need a computer all the time (which is where I spend 50% of my time).

Really cleaver, but I need something more practical.

SoichiroI don't understand. Are these mugs supposed to keep liquids hot? It seems to me that metal is a BETTER conductor of heat than plastic and would therefore do a poor job at keeping something warm. Perhaps you want a Thermos (vacuum-style) mug that is designed to keep items hot said:
Yeah, I find it weird too, but they really do use stainless steel mugs as heat preservatives.

nsxtasy said:
A quick web search turns up this one for the car, and this item for the home/office. (I haven't tried either one... but then again, I don't drink coffee.)

I was thinking of finding something that does not need a power socket.

This is what I was first looking at because of all the good reviews and praises I found on the net,

http://www.thermos.com/thermos/cfm/products.cfm?cat=niss&subcatid=36&pg=2

Unfortunately I cannot seem to locate this mug any ware near by to me. And the website isn't helpful at all.

I'm also afraid that I might have the wrong concept. What I understood, is that these mugs should keep coffee worm for at least 2 to 3 hours while you're taking a sip every now and then, it's either that I got the whole concept wrong or that I've been really unlucky with my last few attempts with stainless steel mugs.

I wonder if anyone on this forum ever did use Nissan Thermos.

Look no further!

Here is the best stainless mug for any hot beverage bar none!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...alog/item-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=search&hasJS=true

I have had numerous coffee cups and I can tell you that this one is the best. It truly is leakproof, when you tighten the lid you can set it down sideways on your car seat and not worry about a drop spilling! They are expensive but worth it! They also keep your coffee warm for hours, the outside of the cup doesn't even get warm so you know it is a great insulator.

Have fun and report back if you get one.

Can you get one that doesn't say "Nissan" on it? :D

Incidentally, the ones that John posted about ("Nissan") are the same ones that are on the Thermos website. And maybe the Thermos website isn't helpful, but you can find lots of places that have them by typing the product name into your favorite search engine, like this...

Carguy! said:
They also keep your coffee warm for hours, the outside of the cup doesn't even get warm so you know it is a great insulator.

Have fun and report back if you get one.

That's what I want to hear, I really thought that for a stainless steel mug to be a good insulator, the external surface should be cold, even if there is 150C hot coffee inside the mug, that’s what a good insulator is all about ( unlike the expensive peace of garbage I just bought !) . I thought that I was hopping for too much, and that this was impossible. Thanks, now I know that the 21 century technology really does work and it's not just another MBA salesman claim.

So you're saying that you do have one huh? If you keep the lid open, how long do you think it stays worm (not necessarily lip burning hot) ?

nsxtasy said:
Can you get one that doesn't say "Nissan" on it? :D

Incidentally, the ones that John posted about ("Nissan") are the same ones that are on the Thermos website. And maybe the Thermos website isn't helpful, but you can find lots of places that have them by typing the product name into your favorite search engine, like this...

I thought that it was made by Nissan when I first saw that mug, but it has no relation to it, but still, really funny choice of name.

I don’t live in America, so searching the web that easy isn't an option and ordering it online is going to be really expensive due to delivery price, ill try my best to locate it locally before I resort to the final budget blow of ordering on-line.

cmhs75 said:
That's what I want to hear, I really thought that for a stainless steel mug to be a good insulator, the external surface should be cold, even if there is 150C hot coffee inside the mug, that’s what a good insulator is all about ( unlike the expensive peace of garbage I just bought !) . I thought that I was hopping for too much, and that this was impossible. Thanks, now I know that the 21 century technology really does work and it's not just another MBA salesman claim.

So you're saying that you do have one huh? If you keep the lid open, how long do you think it stays worm (not necessarily lip burning hot) ?

The way it works is it has a screw in top that you have to unscrew 1/4 turn to drink out of. I normally leave it in this position when at home and it will still keeps coffee hot for hours. The cup is made the same as a thermos and has a vacuum between the stainless steel sides which is a great insulator. I have seen other cups that try to be spill proof and when drinking from them sometimes the coffee doesn't want to come out when drinking and then comes out all at once. This cup doesn't exhibit this behavour and the only problem I have found with it is if you leave the top screwed in for a couple of days it is sometimes hard to remove the top. I don't take this cup when I am going to the airport because in the hour drive it is hard to finish the coffee because it is still too hot to drink fast when you arrive at the airport.

I currently have purchased four of them, I lost the top to one and left the other at a friends house and can't seem to get him to return it (I think he likes it too much). So I recently bought two more and am using them on a daily basis.

I hope you can find one at a reasonable price, I did notice that some dealers sell them on ebay so you might find one there that won't charge you too much for shippping.

Carguy! said:
The way it works is it has a screw in top that you have to unscrew 1/4 turn to drink out of. I normally leave it in this position when at home and it will still keeps coffee hot for hours.

Thanks, that's all I needed to hear,

I'm going for it

Ill report back after I bought it and tried it out my self

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Just wait for my reply

i don't know why we're talking about Stainless steel mugs.

Now if we were talking Aluminium mugs with NSX printed on it... AWESOME! We'd have a group buy happening.
Or a CF mug with.... never mind. my imagination runs away again. :p

cmhs75 said:
Thanks, that's all I needed to hear,

I'm going for it

Ill report back after I bought it and tried it out my self

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Just wait for my reply

On Ebay right now for $16.99 + shipping.

LOL

Thanks a million guys, but, I already placed an online order and it's being shipped as I post. Plus, I already had more than my share of bad experience with insulator mugs that don’t work at all, and I'm really too sensitive right now to test something that might turn out bad. That's why I'm going to the Nissan Thermos (no the name has no relation with Nissan motor company!) they're the safest bet I can take right now. The Nissan thermo is going to cost me 43 US$ along with the shipping. But oh well, I figured it would be cheaper to buy it with that price then to go experiment with cheaper alternatives until one of them actually works. It's the safest bet there is. There are far too many mugs out there that only pretend to be insulator mugs.

cmhs75 said:
LOL

Thanks a million guys, but, I already placed an online order and it's being shipped as I post. Plus, I already had more than my share of bad experience with insulator mugs that don’t work at all, and I'm really too sensitive right now to test something that might turn out bad. That's why I'm going to the Nissan Thermos (no the name has no relation with Nissan motor company!) they're the safest bet I can take right now. The Nissan thermo is going to cost me 43 US$ along with the shipping. But oh well, I figured it would be cheaper to buy it with that price then to go experiment with cheaper alternatives until one of them actually works. It's the safest bet there is. There are far too many mugs out there that only pretend to be insulator mugs.

You are going to be happy with your purchase, I just ordered some more for my house up north off of ebay. I was just using it yesterday and with very hot coffee in the mug the outside stayed cold to the touch.

Beyond having good insulation properties, the major factor is to prevent air from moving past the liquid's surface. When the liquid evaporates, it drops in temperature. So use one with a closed lid.

Like Neo said, to keep the coffee hotter from the start, fill the mug with hot water and let it sit for a few minutes beforehand. Then you are not using the heat of hot coffee to heat up the cold inner surface of the mug and the first few mm's of insulation.

OK,

Well, I finally bought the Nissan Thermos Leak proof stainless steal mug ( pant pant pant ).

It sucks, it doesn’t keep the heat for longer than 30 minutes. It's really terrible and the build quality is really low, it's really trash.

NOT

Ha-ha, got you. This mug is superb. I got it for (26 US) and had to pay extra for shipping (14 US). I had to wait for about 2 weeks to receive it. But it was worth the wait. At first I had my doubt about it. The bottom of the mug was at room temperatures regardless of what you put inside it. But the cap gets really hot and I thought that it wouldn’t hold heat for more than 2 hours at most, but boy was I wrong.

It can hold heat for 4 hours with the cap opened enough for you to drink. I measured the temperature of the tea after 4 hours. It was at 47.8 C°. I measured it after 6 hours and it was at 37.8 C°. Just to give you a frame of reference of how awesome these performance numbers are, my last two expensive but useless stainless steal insulating mugs would be at room temperature ( in my case 19 C°) at around 2. And they would have already lost their heat by the first hour.

Needless to say, it performs even better with cold drinks. I put ice inside the mug along with a soft drink and it kept the ice from melting for around 3 hours. I even put in cold drink without ice, and it held it for 2 hours ( I finished the drink before I could find out how long it would remain cold, no will power).

And of course, there is this whole leak proof issue to be amazed by. It really works wonders at justifying the price tag for those who would doubt your judgment in money spending. This thing really is absolutely leak proof! You can fill it up with soft drinks like Pepsi, shake it like Shakira, and it still wouldn't even make squeaky sound, the sound you would hear when air is escaping form the cap. Good luck opening it up afterwards thought.

You just have to love the way the cap works. If you tighten it up, it's as leak proof as a submarine. But if you want to drink from it, it excels even further. You screw it open and you choose how much liquid you would like to seep through the cap. IF you open it just a little bit, you can drink tea while lying down on your back. A very stupid thing to do, but it does show how clever the whole package is.

So, to cap it all off, Nissan Thermos, was not the miracle worker that I thought it would be ( I'm a physicist, my standards are unreal) but this mug does something I have never seen in other stainless steal insulating mugs, IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!

Thank you very much CARGUY and all the rest of you for your help. I really appreciate it

cmhs75 said:
OK,

Well, I finally bought the Nissan Thermos Leak proof stainless steal mug ( pant pant pant ).

It sucks, it doesn’t keep the heat for longer than 30 minutes. It's really terrible and the build quality is really low, it's really trash.

NOT

Ha-ha, got you. This mug is superb. I got it for (26 US) and had to pay extra for shipping (14 US). I had to wait for about 2 weeks to receive it. But it was worth the wait. At first I had my doubt about it. The bottom of the mug was at room temperatures regardless of what you put inside it. But the cap gets really hot and I thought that it wouldn’t hold heat for more than 2 hours at most, but boy was I wrong.

It can hold heat for 4 hours with the cap opened enough for you to drink. I measured the temperature of the tea after 4 hours. It was at 47.8 C°. I measured it after 6 hours and it was at 37.8 C°. Just to give you a frame of reference of how awesome these performance numbers are, my last two expensive but useless stainless steal insulating mugs would be at room temperature ( in my case 19 C°) at around 2. And they would have already lost their heat by the first hour.

Needless to say, it performs even better with cold drinks. I put ice inside the mug along with a soft drink and it kept the ice from melting for around 3 hours. I even put in cold drink without ice, and it held it for 2 hours ( I finished the drink before I could find out how long it would remain cold, no will power).

And of course, there is this whole leak proof issue to be amazed by. It really works wonders at justifying the price tag for those who would doubt your judgment in money spending. This thing really is absolutely leak proof! You can fill it up with soft drinks like Pepsi, shake it like Shakira, and it still wouldn't even make squeaky sound, the sound you would hear when air is escaping form the cap. Good luck opening it up afterwards thought.

You just have to love the way the cap works. If you tighten it up, it's as leak proof as a submarine. But if you want to drink from it, it excels even further. You screw it open and you choose how much liquid you would like to seep through the cap. IF you open it just a little bit, you can drink tea while lying down on your back. A very stupid thing to do, but it does show how clever the whole package is.

So, to cap it all off, Nissan Thermos, was not the miracle worker that I thought it would be ( I'm a physicist, my standards are unreal) but this mug does something I have never seen in other stainless steal insulating mugs, IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!

Thank you very much CARGUY and all the rest of you for your help. I really appreciate it

When I first started reading your post I was in disbelief! I knew you would be happy with the cup and I was shocked when I read you didn't like it!

I am glad I read on and found out you were happy! Have fun with your new mug, I am sure it will give you years of enjoyment.

Carguy! said:
When I first started reading your post I was in disbelief! I knew you would be happy with the cup and I was shocked when I read you didn't like it!

I am glad I read on and found out you were happy! Have fun with your new mug, I am sure it will give you years of enjoyment.

Thanks, sorry for the evil jock

Back