Spun rod bearing?

Hey guys is this considered a major issue on a nsx?

The nsx had an engine knock which was the result of a spun rod bearing on the #5 crankshaft journal. Because of the damage to the connecting rod and crankshaft journal and because the #5 cylinder had been previously honed (indicating this may have happened before), our service department ordered a new short block assembly. The new short block ordered was Honda part # 10002-PBY-A01 and our dealership purchased it from Harper Acura in Knoxville, TN. In addition to the engine block, our technicians also elected to replace the clutch disc (Honda part # 22200-PR7-005) and release bearing (Honda part# 22810-PR8-003) while the engine was removed.

thanks for your help

We are all familiar with that NSX. :) If you look up that VIN here, you'll find some threads about it. That car has been on sale for MONTHS (if not longer). I'm surprised they have not reduced the price on it. Based on the issues it has had, I would be hesitant paying the $69,000 they are asking.

The nsx had an engine knock which was the result of a spun rod bearing on the #5 crankshaft journal. Because of the damage to the connecting rod and crankshaft journal and because the #5 cylinder had been previously honed (indicating this may have happened before), our service department ordered a new short block assembly. The new short block ordered was Honda part # 10002-PBY-A01 and our dealership purchased it from Harper Acura in Knoxville, TN. In addition to the engine block, our technicians also elected to replace the clutch disc (Honda part # 22200-PR7-005) and release bearing (Honda part# 22810-PR8-003) while the engine was removed.

thanks for your help

thanks for your help
I am not sure what your question is? A new short block should fix any lower end problems in your car, as long as it is broken in correctly and oil changed regularly, it should be good for a very long time.

A new short block would be considered a major issue in my book...

They're not willing to budge on the price at all. The lady i talked to was rather short with me. She said she didn't have time to answer anymore questions. I guess she was tired of people asking for a more reasonable price.

They're not willing to budge on the price at all. The lady i talked to was rather short with me. She said she didn't have time to answer anymore questions. I guess she was tired of people asking for a more reasonable price.

I would totally pass on this car. It has been for sale for at least 10 months and they want 69k? :eek: And I agree, a new short block is a MAJOR issue. You can find cheaper NSX's with no stories and issues.

if the rod bearing was spun hard enough to damage the crank, a new crank from honda cost $7000-$8000 for the part alone. Your better off buying a used long block on the for sale forums and spend less on a complete engine and trans. i would pass.

Is it $69K with the work? That does not seem bad if they stand behind the work, should be good for 100K miles or more...if no warranty, pass!

Greetings

I sent the dealership an email. A friend of mine is looking for a G2 NSX. He really wants one under warranty which this one isn't. I told them a few things wrong with their ad and asked a few questions -- did they change the crank, how come the CD player is not installed, were they offering a warranty in that price, was a PPI done, etc.

I guess that now I wait and see.

Cheers,
Martin

I'm surprised you guys are not cross-checking threads with this vin. Here is the most recent "news" on the car:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84199

As noted by the owner of the dealership, they are not very flexible on pricing and are using the car as a marketing tool. Why anyone would pay 69k for this car is beyond me.

It seems that the dealer is willing to keep the car there as marketing tool and to wait for his asking price of $69K. That's his prerogative. As for the new engine, I don't see anything wrong with having a brand new short block in the car. Why would that be a deterrent? :confused:

whats the diff between short & long block?

Short block is the block, with crank and pistons
Long block also includes the cylinder heads

would long block include the valve train as well? :smile: $$$$$$$$$

Yes, the valves are in the heads.

yes i know that ;) ...... :rolleyes:

just never heard the distinction between short / long blocks. usually when ppl mean an entirely new engine they say an entirely new engine :tongue:

Last edited:
As for the new engine, I don't see anything wrong with having a brand new short block in the car. Why would that be a deterrent? :confused:
It's just a matter of risk. It's a pretty major deal to remove the engine, remove the heads, oil pan, pump, belt, etc, rebuild the new engine, and replace it. A lot of parts have to get swapped over and any number of things could go wrong. Some critical parts with latent damage could get moved to the new engine and fail after a couple years. Dirt could fall into one of the oil galleries. The tech could miss a fastener or a hose clamp, or break a few connector bodies trying to remove them. Maybe the TB gets installed 1 tooth off. Maybe they minimize their cost by reusing the hoses, gaskets and seals that should get replaced, and the engine begins to leak oil after a year. A buyer will demand a discount based on his estimates of the likelihood of something going wrong and the cost to fix it.

I agree $69k is crazy talk but you're right, it's their perogative. The car is obviously worth more to the dealership as a marketing tool than to potential buyers. If they really wanted to sell it they would have.

This is exactly my point. I have personal experience of having issues with a short block swap, hence my hesitation in this car and price. People can make their own decisions on what they want to do, but I hope we are not making this look like a witch hunt. :)

It's just a matter of risk. It's a pretty major deal to remove the engine, remove the heads, oil pan, pump, belt, etc, rebuild the new engine, and replace it. A lot of parts have to get swapped over and any number of things could go wrong. Some critical parts with latent damage could get moved to the new engine and fail after a couple years. Dirt could fall into one of the oil galleries. The tech could miss a fastener or a hose clamp, or break a few connector bodies trying to remove them. Maybe the TB gets installed 1 tooth off. Maybe they minimize their cost by reusing the hoses, gaskets and seals that should get replaced, and the engine begins to leak oil after a year. A buyer will demand a discount based on his estimates of the likelihood of something going wrong and the cost to fix it.

I agree $69k is crazy talk but you're right, it's their perogative. The car is obviously worth more to the dealership as a marketing tool than to potential buyers. If they really wanted to sell it they would have.

Greetings

I hope this thing brings in some good advertising for the place. Looking at the cost of having this thing on the floor.

Assumptions:

7% interest
48 months for a used car payment schedule
$69,000 financed -- no down payment
$1652.29/month
Has been for sale for 24 months
Comes to $39,654.96 for marketing

If you make 2 extra sales each month and earn $826.15 extra because you have this car in the showroom, you break even (actually come out $.01 ahead). I am not so sure you could get a 7% loan -- suspect the rate would be higher with money so tight. He mentions in the other thread that someone offered within $2000 of asking and they did not sell it.

I suspect that he keeps the car around for the occasional short drive needed to keep it fresh. I would if someone else (the business is, but Ed really is) was paying for it. You don't become wealthy doing this.

Cheers,
Martin

Last edited:
Back