Spider Cactus - Is this for real?!?!

I got his via email today; really freaky story. :eek: Is this for real though!?!?!??!!?!?! Maybe you guys in AZ know?
Sorry it's a long real, but it will freak you.

----------------------------
A true story and its source was the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service in Adelaide.

A bloke and his family were on holidays in the United States and went to
Mexico for a week. An avid cactus fan, the man bought a one-metre high, rare
and expensive cactus there. On arrival back home Australian Customs said it
must be quarantined for 3 months.

He finally got his cactus home. Planted it in his backyard, and over
time it grew to about 2 metres. One evening while watering his garden after
a warm spring day, he gave the cactus a light spray. He was amazed to see the
plant shiver all over, he gave it another spray and it shivered again. He was
puzzled so he rang the council who put him on to the state gardens people.

After a few transfers he got the state's foremost cactus expert who asked
him many questions. How Tall is it? Has it flowered? etc. Finally he asked
the most disturbing question. "Is your family in the house?" The bloke
answered yes. The cactus expert said get out of the house NOW, get on to
the front nature strip and wait for me, I will be there in 20 minutes.

Fifteen minutes later, 2 fire trucks, 2 police cars and an ambulance came
screaming around the corner. A fireman got out and asked "Are you the bloke
with the cactus?" I am, he said. A guy jumped out of the fire truck wearing
what looked like a space suit, a breathing cylinder and mask attached to
what looked like a scuba backpack with a large hose attached. He headed
for the backyard and turned a flame-thrower on the cactus spraying it up
and down.

After a few minutes the flame-thrower man stopped, the cactus stood smoking
and spitting, half the fence was burnt and parts of the gardens were well
and truly scorched. Just then the cactus expert appeared and laid a calming
hand on the bloke's shoulder. "What the hell's going on? he says. "Let me
show you" says the cactus man. He went over to the cactus and picked away a
crusty bit, the cactus was almost entirely hollow and filled with tiger
striped bird-eating tarantula spiders, each about the size of two hand
spans.

<B>The story was that this type of spider lays eggs in this type of cactus and
they hatch and live in it as they grow to full size. When full size they
release themselves. The cactus just explodes and about 150 dinner plate
sized hairy spiders are flung from it, dispersing everywhere.</B> They had been
ready to pop. The aftermath was that the house and the adjoining houses had
to be vacated and fumigated: police tape was put up outside the whole area
and no one was allowed in for two weeks.

And here's what one of the b*****ds looks like sitting on a full size dinner
plate.

Attachments

• goliath-plate.gif
    goliath-plate.gif
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,057
never the less would have been a freaky story :eek:

lemansnsx said:
I like the variant of this story at the bottom of the page. Decompressing spiders!
laugh2.gif

Im from Texas, but I've never heard of terantulas in the US. I could be wrong though. Im pretty sure its false though. Anybody know for sure? Let us know cuz I got some cactus to burn.

I'm from Oklahoma and we had tarantulas there. Not all over the place, but they were there. I don't know much about them and I've never heard of the tarantula in the cactus story. That doesn't mean it's not true though. They have to live somewhere right?

White92 said:
That doesn't mean it's not true though. They have to live somewhere right?

Yes they have to live somewhere although apparently not in cactus (or any other) plants.

"No tarantulas or spiders of any type ever have been known to burrow into plants, says Rod Crawford, curator of arachnids at the Burke Museum. Even if a small spider happened to climb into a hole in a cactus and lay eggs there, he says, the plant wouldn't explode when the eggs hatched. Tarantulas take several years to reach full size."

First Published November, 2000,
Updated September, 2002

There has been a resurgence of late in an e-mail which has been a known urban legend for years. It was noted in the book The Mexican Pet (1986, ISBN 0-393-30542-20) by Jan Brunvand, a famous urban legend expert. In the story, a person who brought home a cactus, or has one in their yard suddenly notices it beginning to pulsate. The person sometimes calls a store where they bought the cactus or the police and they always respond by telling her/him to get away from it fast! Once away the cactus "explodes" and out pour large numbers of baby tarantulas! It is explained that they have used cacti as suitable breeding dens for a "long, long time".

This story has variations, one which tell of scorpions exploding out of a cactus. Another has the woman call '911' instead of the store from which she bought the cactus (Although, I'm not really sure exploding cactus would have been part of the training of a 911 operator). Sometimes the cactus is "swaying and humming" and sometimes it appears to be "breathing".

In any case, the story is NOT TRUE. Desert dwelling tarantulas never use a cactus in which to breed. They might crawl around on one from time to time, but eggs are laid in borrows in the ground where they won't get cooked by the desert sun! They spin relatively small cocoons of webbing in which they lay their eggs. The large numbers of spiders can't live inside a cactus. Further, tarantulas are kept as pets, and are not an aggressive species. They are venomous but not particularly poisonous to humans. They don't bite unless provoked, and nobody dies from their bites. There are some tree dwelling tarantulas, but they are in wet, tropical environments mainly in Southeast Asia where a cactus is unlikely to be found. Even this type does not borrow into a plant, but creates a funnel like web outside of it.

This e-mail was designed to frighten you. It has no basis in reality.

This e-mail appeared in 2002:

A true story and its source was the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service in Adelaide...on and on, same story

My skeptical side said it would be fake, and i didn't think to try searching. (Guess i've lost my fear of the Forums Nazi and Mr.Wolf. :p)

Too bad it's not true... there's a couple of "acquaintences" i was thinking of buying a cactus for. :rolleyes: :D

In high school my family moved into new apartments in La Paloma Resort in the foothills of Tucson, AZ. Anyone familiar with the area knows it used to be and still is beautiful desert with an awsome golf course built around it. They had built about 1/2 of them and were putting up the rest. One day the office called us to say keep an eye out for tarantulas. What happened was that while digging the construction crew unearthed a large den of tarantulas. I guess the construction workers being big and macho were running around like scared children. We did see many tarantulas after that and all the while we lived there but they never bothered us. They kept the bugs away. It is always a heart stopper though when you come home at night and open the front door and find one hanging on the door inches away from your face. Dont ask me why I know this!!

Living in the desert all my life gets you used to seeing the tarantuals, scorpions, lizards, snakes and the sort. I've never seen a gila monster though in person. Just yesterday a bobcat was laying on my moms back porch. One good fact is always check your shoes. Scorpions like to hide there. A fun bug I used to catch as a kid were the cicada bugs while they buzzed and chase my little sisters around. Something a big brother has to do :)

Have you ever seen a tarantula's verticle jump? It can jump 8-10 feet in the air if it wants to. I've seen one do it. A friend of mine had one as a pet in his bedroom. He kept it in an aquarium with a piece of plywood and a brick covering the top of it. One day the dog knocked it over and nobody noticed. It's safe to say that the family was FREAKING out! They finaly did find it and obviously the mom would not let it in the house again.

Here's a photo by <B>Phoe<FONT COLOR=red>N$X</FONT></B> of his NSX & Cactus.

Looks like the exploding cactus is true afterall! You saw it first here on the Internet! :D

Very disturbing. Apparently Kelvin killed all the spiders by driving over them in the NSX. :p

Attachments

• phoen$x02.jpg
    phoen$x02.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,736
hey La Paloma. Too cool, i was just there for my company's annual sales meeting. Second time there. Very nice.

Maybe you can tell me how La Paloma compares to other resorts. I dont know that much about tuscon area, but it seems pretty nice.

Back