speeding ticket loop hole?

a while back i got pulled over in maryland and was given 4 tickets totalling over $1000 and 14 points. the troopers said the points will transfer to michigan, my state of residence.

my question:
i work in new york during the week. if i get a new york license before the above goes to trial will i be immune to the outcome of the trial? will maryland know to transfer the points to my newest license? if not, then can i ignore the tickets all together?

also:
my michigan license is suspended in arizona. if i get a new york license will i be able to drive legally in az?

Last edited:
You are *legally* required to have your driving license issued by the state you reside in. So none of your ideas are truly legal, but the details might slip by an unobservant officer. Of course if you are caught the penalties for fraud like this exceed the penalties for speeding.

You ever thought of slowing down?

Soichiro said:

i can honestly say that every time i was pulled over for speeding... i was going with the flow of traffic :D

JoeSchmoe said:
Uhhh.... youve only got 50 states. So thats 2 down, 48 to go :D

actually 3 states down, my old pennsylvania license was suspended in illinois.

as for arizona, i had a speeding ticket in sedona during the players run. i pled guilty and sent a check. i received a letter stating my license was suspended for 6 months and that i'm not entitled to a hearing. very strange and fishy.

Nicholas are you the guy with the Silver/Black NSX that was in the players run. If so cool I always wondered who was the guy that dove the silver/black NSX in the players run video.

Sorry to hear about your tickets remember you could always tell the officer that the accelerater got stuck and you couldn't stop it fast enough. It might work.:D

Just kidding.

Nick
Did you forget our buddys in Walton county Florida. :D
So I guess thats 4 only 47 states to go.

PHOEN$X
You can get a copy of the video from Nicks car, at Best Buy in the special interest section. Its called Mischief Destroy for $15.00
There are 5 or 6 Nsxs in it.

Just look for the guys sporting the orange Walton County Jail shirts. :D

Make sure that you do not carry two drivers lincense in your wallet. In NY it is a felony to have both on your person while driving.

Soichiro said:
You are *legally* required to have your driving license issued by the state you reside in. So none of your ideas are truly legal, but the details might slip by an unobservant officer. Of course if you are caught the penalties for fraud like this exceed the penalties for speeding.

In California, you can drive with a license from any state, but, if you establish residence here, your license is only valid for 10 more days.

Because "speeding" is pretty much illegal everywhere, I don't think there would be very much leniency (sp?) from state to state, like there would be for, say turning right on a red light in Texas, driving with a California license.

i thought that if you get a citation on a state other than the you got your license issued that it wouldn't show on your record. but you still have to pay the bill.

nicholas - do you have a valentine 1 radar detector?

Only certain states have reciprocity with other states. Some tickets received out of state will not show up on your record. For instance if I were to receive a ticket in Pennsylvania the points would not appear on my NY drivers license. If I were to get a ticket in Canada the points would appear on my record. This was the last I knew, the rules may have changed since I looked it up on the NYSDMV web site. The best thing to do is just not speed. my goal over the next few years is to have a completely clean driving record.

Not to mention you might have a chance got pulled over just because you are sporting a out of state license plate.

I had one at Wyoming, I saw the police making a U-turn trying to chase 3 cars passing by me, 20 seconds later, he came up to me and pulled me aside... nice huh?

I do think that some of you guys who reside in the state which enforcing the "point system" cares about if the violating ticket gets transfer or not. That steveny might already addressed.

However, I know for sure that the Insurance Company check your driving record thru all the states... So your insurance premium will definately affected no matter where you violate the law. I guessed that's what all of us worrying about.

NSXDreamer2 said:

However, I know for sure that the Insurance Company check your driving record thru all the states... So your insurance premium will definately affected no matter where you violate the law. I guessed that's what all of us worrying about.

Not necessarily so...they may check but they may not find anything.

If you get caught speeding in a state that does NOT have reciprocity with the state where you have your driver's license and you pay the citiation on a timely basis -- the whole thing becomes a mute point. How would your insurance company ever know that you were speeding, if the points are not "sent" to your "home" state? They don't. Your insurance company can only track it if the points get "sent" to your home state because it has reciprocity with the state where you're caught.

Spencer said:
Not necessarily so...they may check but they may not find anything.

the whole thing becomes a mute point.

Is that anything like a moot point with less sound.:D

all very good points.

however, i'll restate my initial question:
if i get a new out of state license, is there any (reasonable) way the law or insurance company can track my previous driving history?

i can maybe see points transfering from one license to another if i already have points. but in my situation.. the points have not gone on my record yet because the trial date hasn't been set. so my "loop hole" idea is to get a new NY license before the points hit my MI license. when they go to transfer the points to my MI license, it won't matter because it no longer exists.

to answer your question yes we can track you.......and if you have a suspended license in any state you cannot get a license anywhere until you clear up the problems in the state that suspended it............in regards to your ticket question if you get a ticket in one state it will show up in your state unless your state is not a compact state.....one of those is Michigan....if I pull you over here in Georgia and you have a Michigan License I take you down to the jail to post a cash bond....last I checked there were only a handful of states that were not compact states....this also goes for Canadian Licenses you will have to post a cash bond ..........just slow down a little and you won't have to think of ways to commit more serious crimes......

Back