Speedchannel gripes

Every time I want to watch the Speed Channel,it's NASCAR This and NASCAR that.
What happened to the SCCA events and the specials like Alan DeCadanet's show on vintage Ferrari's. I did see the 30 minute Acura commercial with Peter Cunningham, which was pretty cool, though.

At least they are still showing the races such ALMS, Rally, Superbikes, F1, etc. I can deal with the nascar stuff (change the channel) as long as they keep showing the other events we want to watch. I think a lot of the fun miscellaneous programming suffered in the changeover.

I had heard that NASCAR has a partial ownership of this station. I've noticed a Nascar icon on the upper right hand of the screen before with some of the programming. Like yourself, I miss alot of the old SV stuff. Wouldn't suprise me one bit if some of these NASCAR races tried pay-per view after the TV contracts expire

Originally posted by ilya:
...I think a lot of the fun miscellaneous programming suffered in the changeover.

...and a lot of the not fun stuffed got axed also (thankfully). Show such as Planes of Fame and all boating shows were much worse than the NASCAR stuff (and I'm not a NASCAR an).

What I want to know is, why don't they show some vintage races. And I dont mean the Monterey Historic Races. I mean late '80s - early '90s IMSA GTP races, late '80s - early '90s F1 Races and '80s - '90s indycar (CART) races. Also, where is the Japanese, British, German, and Australian Touring Car series and the British Formula 3 series? These shows are what the SPEED channel should be about, IMHO.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

I really miss the Aussie V8 Touring Cars. That was a fun series to watch.

It is a shame that the channel is not better utilized.
I am pleased with the coverage of CART, and F1, and I can tolerate the modern NASCAR coverage, but the vintage NASCAR stuff is the pits.
I like the coverage of ALMS, Sebring, and LeMans, but would sacrifice the detailed multiple hour coverage for a 1 hour highlight reel.

I like the fact that Speed now deals more intimately with the NASCAR series, it makes it easier to follow, but why not give the same excellent coverage to the various other series shown on the channel.
"F1 Round table" With David Hobbes would be a great show.
"CART Garage" would be nice.
"Inside The Speed World Champoinship" as a weekly series would have great potential, both as a promotion for the channel, and as a more content oriented program. Give us access to the teams, the personalities that make up the teams, and the tribulations of their racing efforts.
I have a hard time understanding how a channel that sponsors its own racing series can basically ignore that series. This is a huge waste of the SCCA Pro Series.

Speed Channel is alright, but it could be much, much better.

Phil

Maybe if the content of the shows were more interesting they wouldn't have to sell so much airtime to "Motor Millions" to subsidize the channel.

------------------
integra.gif

[This message has been edited by H-carWizKid (edited 20 June 2002).]

Originally posted by Michigan NSX:
What I want to know is, why don't they show some vintage races. And I dont mean the Monterey Historic Races. I mean late '80s - early '90s IMSA GTP races, late '80s - early '90s F1 Races and '80s - '90s indycar (CART) races. Also, where is the Japanese, British, German, and Australian Touring Car series and the British Formula 3 series? These shows are what the SPEED channel should be about, IMHO.

Amen to that, use to love the euro series & down under stuff guys beat the hell out of each others cars. They get with it. Also wouldn't mind seeing the old IMSA Camel Light NSX driven by Parker Johnstone again. If anyone knows of a euro channel that can be picked up on DST that airs that stuff, post it...

H-Carwizkid,

I agree with most of what you say, but strongly disagree with the ALMS part of your post. Last year SpeedVision had live flag-to-flag coverage of "The Grand Slam of Endurance Racing" (LeMans, Daytona, Sebring, Pettite LeMans). Our household either watched or taped every hour of that coverage. I like your suggestion of the 1 hour highlight reel, but I believe it should be put together after the flag-to-flag LIVE coverage, and there should be 1 hour dedicated to each CLASS.

I also dislike the fact that they have cancelled LIVE coverage of the Valvoline Runoffs. I understand that they are doing a quality program on each class but to have your film crew there for the event but not broadcasting it live makes no sense to me. Do it live and then the 1 hour shows.

As relates to my previous post - Older races cost almost nothing to produce (kind of like "Legends of Motorsports").

C'mon SPEEDChannel, I want to see GTP races!!

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 20 June 2002).]

C'mon SPEEDChannel, I want to see GTP races!!

Just though of this. ESPN most likley holds the rights to the IMSA footage. Have you ever noticed that RPM tonight on ESPN2 does not get any NASCAR footage. It all has to do with contracts and exclusive rights agreements. FOX, FX, NBC & TNN have agreements with S-Channel, but not ESPN. ESPN was highly pissed about somethings, although I don't remember quite what it was. The short of it is. ESPN ain't gonna give S-Channel crap and when you see old Nascar stuff on S-Channel Nascar had exclusive rights to it not ESPN only. Other racing series on SC must have made an agreement with SC & ESPN/ABC due to its limited ratings in comparison to NASCAR which hold greater view #'s like it or not.
frown.gif

Originally posted by Tom Larkins:
Just thought of this. ESPN most likley holds the rights to the IMSA footage...
frown.gif

Tom,

I don't want to hear concise, logical arguments why I can't have what I want!
ranton.gif
I JUST WANT WHAT I WANT!!!
rantoff.gif
wink.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

I'm so Pssed off that the 24 hr at lemans became the 8 hrs.I loved the full flag to flag coverage,at least you could experience the shear magnitude of endurance racing.How many old nascar races can we watch until tunning out.Hopefully they'll get the message.Watching pit crew competition for nascar is about as interesting as watching teeth decay.Of course if the France family has there way every american will be sh**ting monte carlos.

Originally posted by docjohn:
I'm so Pssed off that the 24 hr at lemans became the 8 hrs...

I wasn't going to go into this but...I don't think the coverage for this year's race was very good. Unless you were driving one of the top LMP900 cars or in the pits you didn't get on TV. Several times they broke away from interesting class races to show an inconsequential car coming in for a routine pit stop. Then they went back to the LMP leaders.
confused.gif

They could have also showed some footage from previous years' cars and done a piece on the HISTORY of LeMans. Their video vaults must be loaded with that kind of stuff.

Also the pre-race show never showed a track map or a COMPLETE lap inside the car (the only good use of an in-car camera in my opinion).

I also missed the scrolling e-mail comments from viewers along the bottom of the screen as well as the announcers answering viewer's e-mailed questions.

Sorry if I sound too critical about SPEEDChannel but this is supposed to be a motorsports channel.

p.s. I did enjoy (and always do) Steve Matchett's commentary.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 21 June 2002).]

Is there any way we can forward a whole thread like this to SPEEDChannel?? They might be interested in what some of there faithful viewers think of their coverage. I realize that we can individually e-mail them, but I think an interactive forum like this might make more impact.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Is there any way we can forward a whole thread like this to SPEEDChannel?? They might be interested in what some of there faithful viewers think of their coverage. I realize that we can individually e-mail them, but I think an interactive forum like this might make more impact.

Unfortunately Speed Channel is not interested in their viewers direct opinions. Prior to the programming change there were several internet based petitions carrying tens of thousands of signatures begging Speedvision to stay the same. It all fell on deaf ears.

I can agree to disagree about detailed 24 hour race coverage. I get bored with it, but I can understand how some people enjoy the whole experience as it is happening.

Phil

------------------
integra.gif

One word for you guys: TIVO

Get a TIVO (digital TV recorder) and just "Season Pass" or "WishList" the things you like on Speedvision. This way, you always have recorded programs you like to watch AND you can zip through commercials.

I miss the big diesel truck races...those were fun to watch.
biggrin.gif

But for me, I think SPEED is doing ok job. They still have Rally, F1, GT/Touring Championship, MotorTrend TV, Motorweek etc. Most of the shows I watched last year. The only thing that they got rid of that I wish they didn't are the Touring Car races.

Originally posted by docjohn:
...Watching pit crew competition for nascar is about as interesting as watching teeth decay...

That's the best analogy that I've read in a long time. But I can assure you that watching "teeth decay" is much more interesting.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Dr.Lane (edited 28 June 2002).]

Docjohn I believe I met you at Road America last year, thanks for letting one of our cameras fly shotgun in your car.

You will be happy to know your in this video and I would say there could be a very good chance for it to be on speed channel. If nothing else it will have a good life on DVD and in film festivals.

It's in final edit now but ETA should be around September I hope.

Anyway your car is in ad two (the big one)
http://www.mr2faq.com/mr2/apotheosis_2002/index.html

[This message has been edited by Fukui2 (edited 03 July 2002).]

Thats great.I'm glad your efforts to capture the import scene have succeded.I was wondering what happened to that footage.Keep us all posted on your endeavors and this film.

I have been shooting for a year and a half but the footage is sweet and I am doing the open and titles now along with music.
There is a lot of NSX footage and my 2nd crew did a shoot in North cali with a 500hp Turbocharged NSX about a week ago.

I have my final shoot in Colorado this saturday and I believe that's going to be it.
Edit will take a couple months and then it will be released to the public.

Where will this documentary be available for public consumption? The trailer is great, I want to add the full feature to my collection of DVDs.

Phil

------------------
integra.gif

I'm sure as the last video (Still available at http://clubmr2.com/mr2die4.htm I will have a web based sales thing but I'm looking into other ways of making it available.

Sorry if this thread is getting off track however I'm sure NSX owners will be happy to know that this film really has a lot of footage af many many NSX's as well as interviews from the owners.

There is a lot of interest in the NSX because many people (even me) can not afford one but would love to know more about the car and what tuners are doing to them. That's what I set out to do along with features of other cars in the import world that don't have the coverage that the Honda Civic and Acura Integra's do.

I know most look at the NSX in the same club as Ferrari and Lotus but the NSX is the higest level in the import world in class by itself.

Also don't think that it could not make it to speed channel in the past I have had plenty of shows I worked on get on the air.

Emergency Vet's was on for over 80 episodes (I did sound work for this)

The LucasFilm/Donna Dewy documentary "Chiefs" will be out this fall and I did a huge amount of work on it as well.

Stagestruck for Bravo

Fall preview specials for ABC

And lot's of others. I just happen to love import tuning as a hobby and wanted to make a film that really profiled the scene as it really is not as The Fast and the Furious.

I have been on this for almost a year and a half and I know when it gets out there it will be a fresh new look to the import scene, not as thugs and street racers but as people who love the cars and transform them into reflections of thier own soul. It's not scripted or staged...it's just people like all I have seen on this and every other import board. We really all have the same passion no matter what car we are tuning.

[This message has been edited by Fukui2 (edited 09 July 2002).]

Back