Spare tire removal

I read that some guys take out the spare to save weight. I just changed my battery and was thinking about leaving the spare out. I can't get over the big gap it leaves though and have to think that the spare would help in a front end crash. Anyone have any input on this?

Thinking about putting mine back for my own protection. No spare tire + carbon fiber hood + no airbags = RIP

Its just adds more room for CRUMPLE zone...:biggrin:

IMO it doesn't add any more protection.

The main reason why I leave it is because of just in case I get a flat.

HOWEVER, the secondary reason isn't because of weight savings, but of WEIGHT BALANCE.

I think that by removing a lot of the stuff inside the NSX (spare, jack, rear equipment, radio stuff) throws off the weight balance.
The NSX is is already rear biased in weight, removing the front spare makes it even more rear biased.

I find the whole issue of the spare tire (wheel) very interesting with regards to wether it offers more protection in case of a frontal impact accident (with it in place) or if, as mentioned, there is a greater crumlple zone with it out and so the driver is safer with it out.

This would definitely be a good case for the "Myth Busters" to take on.

DaveW

I find the whole issue of the spare tire (wheel) very interesting with regards to wether it offers more protection in case of a frontal impact accident (with it in place) or if, as mentioned, there is a greater crumlple zone with it out and so the driver is safer with it out.

This would definitely be a good case for the "Myth Busters" to take on.

DaveW
But then they would have to crash "two" NSX's:frown: . One with spare/one without.

That was probably the first thing I did when I bought my car. I liked the weight savings idea and would call AAA if it was a major blowout. I do carry around a Mazda RX8 inflatable spare tire kit and it has saved me before.

That was probably the first thing I did when I bought my car. I liked the weight savings idea and would call AAA if it was a major blowout. I do carry around a Mazda RX8 inflatable spare tire kit and it has saved me before.

What does the kit consist of? Sounds intresting.

I really hope none of you are planning on using a dry rotted spare tire on an NSX.

"flat bed only"

Put an inflatable pillow in the donut hole acts like an airbag and weights less than 1 pound.:biggrin:

If you really plan on crashing your car head first, then take the spare wheel out and place the tire back in there it will absorb alot of the impact.:rolleyes:

I talked with a friend of mine and he said he thinks it's safe out. One less thing coming at you he said. The balance comment is a good point.

I keep mine in. Ever had a flat when youre driving? Ask me how I know.

Just made me think...why would you take it out if you're not at the track.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

The main reason why I leave it is because of just in case I get a flat.

HOWEVER, the secondary reason isn't because of weight savings, but of WEIGHT BALANCE.

I think that by removing a lot of the stuff inside the NSX (spare, jack, rear equipment, radio stuff) throws off the weight balance.
The NSX is is already rear biased in weight, removing the front spare makes it even more rear biased.

I hope SS headers, GTLW, CF engine cover and removal of tools etc. even out removing the spare tire and installing 925 battery :wink:

What does the kit consist of? Sounds intresting.

It's called the "Instant Mobility System (IMS) flat repair kit" and it "provides a convenient and quick process to repair most flat tire situations." There are several vehicle manufacturers that include this with their vehicle. The Honda part number is 42770-SDR-A04 (~$69 retail). The US Accord Hybrid comes with this kit plus a compressor like the NSX's (not sure why this kit instead of spare, supposedly the Canadian Accord Hybrid comes with spare which does not impact trunk space and some US owners are geo-fitting to that).

The main item in this kit seems to be pressurized goo (put in tire, fully inflate with compressor, goo should block/seal hole, drive to get real repair). Besides the goo I see two other things in the parts diagram (attached below, see #5). One appears to be folded paper (I assume instruction manual) and a baggie of other stuff (I'm not sure, plugs for fixing bigger holes maybe?). If it is really just the goo and instructions, that price is a bit steep...but maybe since it's OEM for these companies one can have more confidence that the goo will actually work (i.e. they tested it and approved).

Attachments

• imskit.png
    imskit.png
    17 KB · Views: 139
Back