spare tire hardware

Anyone know the rough specs for the spare tire hardware that holds the spare tire in place and/or part numbers?

Thanks

As noted by @fastfwd, year is critical here. Can't tell your year from your profile pic, but your rims look like 97-01? Good idea to add your year and particulars to your sig so you get year-specific advice. The parts are also LHD and RHD specific.

The battery support (called "pipe assembly" 90-96 and "support" 97+) supports the spare tire along with the supporting strut ("spare tire retainer") that supports the middle of the support when the extra weight of the spare tire is present. It changed in 1997, probably related to changes to the spare tire rim required by the larger brake rotors that arrived in 1997. Interestingly, the 1997+ design no longer ties to the front of the body and only goes from the steering rack to the radiator support. Thus, a small support bar "undercover set plate", 60535-SL0-000, was added to support the plastic tray that originally bolted to the pipe assembly for 91-96. 1997+ actually slightly heavier per amayama weight specs.

The better explanatory diagrams of the 2 design differences are present for the RHD diagrams. You can see the 2 designs in one picture and the part #'s in these part diagrams. 1997+ is on the left. (The LHD parts would be reversed):

For LHD, oemacuraparts.com LHD diagrams are not as clear. For 1991-1996, see parts 15 & 16 here, 60500-SL0-A01 and 60511-SL0-A01, both discontinued:

For 1997+, see parts 15 & 16 here; the oemacuraparts diagrams have not been updated, but the parts #'s have, 60500-SL0-A02 and 60511-SL0-A02. The parts actually look those shown in the diagrams in the amayama diagram above, but reversed for LHD:

I think the spare tire rim color changed to avoid mix-ups when redesigned to clear the larger brake rotors in 1997. My 95 was orange and my 01 is yellow, even though they both came with 16" front OEM rims. Were some years with a red spare tire rim?

I don't know if you can put the 1997+ design on the 91-96 cars, but I'd assume so. You'd need to add 60535-SL0-000.

Tip: If you want some year specific NSX pictures, look at low-milage BAT listings. In this case, higher mileage or modded models might be missing the spare tire and show the support assembly better.

Hope that helps,

Last edited:
Back