Some Thermography Scans

I borrowed a nice FLIR infrared thermography camera from work to play around with at home (check insulation, etc). I didn't bring home the cable and software to download the pics though - doh! So, I did the natural redneck thing and just stuck my digital camera in the low-res viewfinder to get these :rolleyes:

For real race teams that are in it to win, you need one. A little expensive at ~$10k though.

You can analyze radiator performance, and make sure all parts of your radiator or oil/transmission/intercooler heat exchangers are being effectively cooled by your inlet/outlet paths. You can also get an indication of frontal drag and downforce too if you measure immediately after a high-speed run. This is just a general frontal view after a slow drive home from work so there's not much going on:
IMG_2731.JPG

Also, most serious race teams (I recall my pit crew doing this when driving in my teens) will rig a mount on the front/rear to make a video of the tires as you're practicing. Not only does this aid in suspension setup, but it also helped my tire sponsor (Michelin) with direct feedback on their compounds, etc. This is after a normal drive home from work and allowing some time to cool on my rear tire, so again, nothing exciting :rolleyes:
IMG_2730.JPG

And, my exhaust I'm working on :wink::
IMG_2729.JPG

IMG_2726.JPG

IMG_2727.JPG

I did a search, and never found any mention of this. It can be a very helpful tool if you know what data you need, and how other variables may affect your results. Otherwise, it can also mislead you like anything else! Oh well, it's colorful pictures....

Dave

Woah that is badass! :eek::eek:

I assume the tire picture is of the "passenger" rear, since the outside of the tire would be/is hotter (unless you're alignment is off camber)?

Nice pictures !!

One small sidenote though.
Working with a infrared camera is not as simple as it seems.
The infrared rays emitted by any heat source, however small, are very easily reflected by other objects. This means that one has to take care that no heat emitting objects are near the object you want to photograph.

I assume the tire picture is of the "passenger" rear, since the outside of the tire would be/is hotter (unless you're alignment is off camber)?

That was the driver's side rear. From the scale on the right of the picture, the lighter the color, the warmer it is. So, the negative camber is correct, and the inside is slightly warmer :wink:

Dave

Nice pictures !!

One small sidenote though.
Working with a infrared camera is not as simple as it seems.
The infrared rays emitted by any heat source, however small, are very easily reflected by other objects. This means that one has to take care that no heat emitting objects are near the object you want to photograph.

Excellent points. Just like a cheap, handheld infrared temperature sensor, you have to consider the objects emissivity, or basically, how much it reflects as well as the emissivity of surrounding materials.

Dave

It is pretty common to see people checking the tire temps with a thermometer to check the contact patch, alignment etc. This is just the most awesome way!

Oops, I returned the camera today and was told new ones like this go for $50k :eek: Even the used ones hold their value since they have to remain calibrated, etc. Glad I didn't break it.

Anyways, I downloaded a better tire image off the camera.

This is my rear Kumho Ecsta XS, taken from the rear of the car, pointing forwards (drivers' side). Again, this was after the normal drive home and had cooled off for about 10 minutes (these were cooled off obviously).

Dave

tire.JPG

Very cool. Fluke and FLIR are some of my clients and I've been wondering how their cameras would do in the automotive world. There are cheaper alternatives.

Caveat emptor though...not all infrared cameras are equal:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bFFpWq9h5Ls" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Over the years I have gone the FLIR's site to look for a thermal camera to augment night driving.
Think this could work? Can the iphone output to another screen?
Maybe in Black and White mode just to see things that are large, like a deer.
- they have them for trucking but those systems are thousands.
This one says that 32 degrees F is it's lowest though.
Any thoughts?

under $350

Back