Some Newbie Questions - suspension, engine management

I'm new to the NSX so I hop you will indulge some very basic questions:

1) Does the stock shock have threads on them such that you can corner weight the car?

2) Has anyone tried a different geometry from stock that works on the track? ie. front/rear toe-in and camber settings. uneven tire wear is not important to me, but handling and grip is

3) What type of metering does the NSX use? Volume Air FLow, Mass Air Flow, Manifold Pressure or Throttle position?

4) I have read that some ECUs retune the VTEC transition rpm, any torque gains?

5) Is a 1992 NSX OBD1 or OBD2?

PS. searched the web but couln't find a site with above info

pzull said:

pzull said:
1) Does the stock shock have threads on them such that you can corner weight the car?
No

pzull said:
2) Has anyone tried a different geometry from stock that works on the track? ie. front/rear toe-in and camber settings. uneven tire wear is not important to me, but handling and grip is
Yes

pzull said:

3) What type of metering does the NSX use? Volume Air FLow, Mass Air Flow, Manifold Pressure or Throttle position?

4) I have read that some ECUs retune the VTEC transition rpm, any torque gains?

5) Is a 1992 NSX OBD1 or OBD2?

PS. searched the web but couln't find a site with above info

1. I don't think the OEM shocks are adjustable.
2. You might want to try the OEM suspension setup for the 91's. The settings were very aggresive and later relaxed to improve tire life.
3. I believe there is a mass air flow sensor and a throttle position sensor... could be wrong there.
4. There are chips out there that offer modest gains in torque/hp. You can check www.scienceofspeed.com and www.daliracing.com

pzull said:

The NSX calculates the airflow using the throttle position, map sensor, and ambient pressure. I know I have seen what that’s called but I can't remember what.

Found it
http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Library/SpeedDensity

Last edited:
pzull said:

MAP sensor as well as throttle position.

MAP = Manifold Absolute Pressure

S2NSX said:
MAP sensor as well as throttle position.

MAP = Manifold Absolute Pressure

Cool. Alpha-N

Brian, could you let me know what settings you've tried that's good for the track.

I intend to change to coilovers - what's recommended? Don't need adjustability for bump and rebound.

What spring rates are a good compromise for road & track?

Thanks

I suggest you leave your car as is for at least six months after you purchase it. Whatever ideas and notions you may have now for making changes may be different after you live with the car for a while. You might decide that some things don't need changing at all, or you might decide that something totally different is a higher priority for you. Live with the car so that you can decide what YOU like and what YOU want to change.

nsxtasy said:
I suggest you leave your car as is for at least six months after you purchase it. Whatever ideas and notions you may have now for making changes may be different after you live with the car for a while. You might decide that some things don't need changing at all, or you might decide that something totally different is a higher priority for you. Live with the car so that you can decide what YOU like and what YOU want to change.

And how many times have you copied and pasted this ?! :tongue:

i think I don't have much choice but follow your advice, it has been hard-coded into my head by now :biggrin:

nsxtasy said:

Thanks for the advice. One thing's for sure, the stock headers and exhaust has to go. Th exhaust manifold looks like it belongs on a sedan and I'm pretty sure with headers and straight thru exhaust (properly sized) i\the car would be alot perkier and sound more like it performs.

Given car is already using alpha-n metering, I will probably not do the engine management till I';ve done more mods to the engine - need to research what gives best HP/torque per $

The tires will go as well. They look brand new with deep threads but was manufactured in 2002 - tire compound is probably past its prime and I'm not taking any chances - it's good to have go but it's better to be able to stay on the road

pzull said:
The tires will go as well. They look brand new with deep threads but was manufactured in 2002 - tire compound is probably past its prime and I'm not taking any chances - it's good to have go but it's better to be able to stay on the road
Tires manufactured in 2002 should be fine. I appreciate your concern but tires that are three years old (or less) should not be a problem.

nsxtasy said:
Tires manufactured in 2002 should be fine. I appreciate your concern but tires that are three years old (or less) should not be a problem.

2 years with regular usage I would feel more comfortable. But these tires look like they've seen less than 1,000 ml. Usage keeps them compliant, non-usage accelerates hardening.

I'm extra careful because I had a near D---H experience about 10 years back.....don't even want to spell out the whole word....sends a shiver down my spine

AU_NSX said:
Just curious pzull... Where would you be able to "track" your car in Thailand?

There's a track about 60km from Bangkok. I can't remember what's it's called but something like "Thailand Race Circuit". There's another about 150km in Pattaya called "Peera" where they run the Carrera Cup races plus Formula BMW and some other races. They are both smallish tracks not like Sepang where I use to go in Malaysia before mocing to Thailand.

pzull said:
2 years with regular usage I would feel more comfortable. But these tires look like they've seen less than 1,000 ml. Usage keeps them compliant, non-usage accelerates hardening.

Not entirely true for all tires - e.g. the Bridgestone S-02 and 03 have a special compound build up where there's a softer compound underneath the layer you rub away. So it maintains its dry performance throughout nearly all its lifetime.

I wouldn't also be astonished if there where other tires with older technology that are getting harder when you use them instead of letting them in your garage. For the newer tires I would guess that the use of Silica greatly decreased the hardening effects.

Pzull: Great thanks! All the times I've been there I didn't know that they had any circuits!

nsxtacy: Thanks ! That link is great!

Looks like I will bring one of my cars over instead of storage this time!

AU_NSX said:
Pzull: Great thanks! All the times I've been there I didn't know that they had any circuits!

nsxtacy: Thanks ! That link is great!

Looks like I will bring one of my cars over instead of storage this time!

You moving here? Bringing cars in is tricky and expensive. There are several schemes but unless you have a work permit and only intend to bring it in for less than 6 months or you're a diplomat, it's probably not worth it. I went through a month of talking to numerous people and authorities and found out the hard way

pzull said:
You moving here? Bringing cars in is tricky and expensive. There are several schemes but unless you have a work permit and only intend to bring it in for less than 6 months or you're a diplomat, it's probably not worth it. I went through a month of talking to numerous people and authorities and found out the hard way

Thankyou pzull, that is valuable information!

I will be moving overseas but where is not confirmed at the moment... There are oportunities in Thailand and China with another possibility for Malaysia as well. I just don't want to sell my NSX's but I could be overseas for a number of years so I would prefer to be able to bring them with me...

If you're going to malaysia, find a returning malaysian student. He can bring one car in tax free....but you got to trust him cos the car will be in his name to start. Malaysia's great....you'll have 3 race tracks...one of which is Sepang - Fabulous

AU_NSX said:
Thankyou pzull, that is valuable information!

I will be moving overseas but where is not confirmed at the moment... There are oportunities in Thailand and China with another possibility for Malaysia as well. I just don't want to sell my NSX's but I could be overseas for a number of years so I would prefer to be able to bring them with me...

Back