Some help needed selecting a NSX, JDM or USDM?

rx7

Registered Member
Hi, Im new,
I really like NSXs, I have a RHD RX7 FD3S, and want to buy a NSX,
I am selecting between JDM NSX and the US NSX, also, the year, should I get a pre 97, or after 97 model?
Any suggestions and comparisons would be appreciated, thanks a lot.:smile:

1.) Where are you located? If you're in the US, good luck finding a J spec NSX. They're not a great deal different anyway to be honest, and many owners modify their USDM cars with what's most desirable from the J spec NSX anyway, the short 2nd-4th gears.
2.) The wiki (located at the top of the forum window) has a ton of info about the changes from year to year. The 91-94 vs 95,96 vs 97-01 vs 02-05 decision is largely based on personal preferences as the changes were very limited throughout the entire production run.

Last edited:
The steering wheel is not at the right place :rolleyes:
For me it's a no-no :eek:

A JDM NSX would offer color and model choices that weren't offered in the USA.

Only you can say whether a JDM car is what you want.
Me personally, I wouldn't get a RHD car unless I was delivering mail.

The wiki page on year-to-year changes is here. 1991-1994 (and not many later specimens in the USA) have fixed roofs which make for a lighter and stiffer car, but 1997-2005 have the larger engine and 6-speed transmission.

I do not recommend looking for a JDM RHD NSX, much less purchase one legally with valid documentation. Unless you are outside the States, you can only wish for such. Good luck with your endeavors.

+1. Just to be safe buy one in the US, dont import it. The only, ONLY way I would import one is if I was not a resident here or had a house in another country like europe. A few ppls I meet had R34 skylines and if no one heard about the drama, the feds are taking the cars back by force. Long story short I saw a r34 at the toys for tots last year and asked the guy if he was nervous driving it and he responded "no, I also live in europe so if they want to deport the car at least I get free shipping back to my other house". Not sure if it's really free but non the less he didn't care, though I don't think many of us can do what he can.

+1. Just to be safe buy one in the US, dont import it. The only, ONLY way I would import one is if I was not a resident here or had a house in another country like europe. A few ppls I meet had R34 skylines and if no one heard about the drama, the feds are taking the cars back by force. Long story short I saw a r34 at the toys for tots last year and asked the guy if he was nervous driving it and he responded "no, I also live in europe so if they want to deport the car at least I get free shipping back to my other house". Not sure if it's really free but non the less he didn't care, though I don't think many of us can do what he can.

Well the real question is how he does it. The reason they are deporting the Skylines R34 is because people were shipping them in parts and building them back up as kit cars to get by customs but in reality it's not a kit car, especially the R34 which isn't even old enough to be imported into canada per that 15 year rule. A early model 91-93 NSX from japan can be imported into canada per the 15 year rule and then he would have to try to import it from Canada to the USA. I've seen a couple of RHD MR2s for sale in the US already. If you did it that way vs trying to claim it as a kit car then most likely you can drive it around fine with no issue because it got here legally. Plus it's not like people are importing NSX in large numbers either like the Skylines were during the F&F craze. So far I think I've seen 2 RHD NSX for sale from Canada so there are a couple out there.

Last edited:
Back