some CF questions

Hi.. call me stupid

but what is the difference between Graphite and Carbon Fiber?
to me it seems that the little blocks in Graphite is smaller than CF. Might be a little heavier

and what about CF with Kelvar?
thanks in advanced

graphite and carbon are one in the same. both based on the carbon molecule. What you are probably seeing is a different weaving technique, which creates a very different "look" to the final product.

Kevlar is a totally different compound, designed more for shearing strength and heat/fire resistance, versus stiffness/bending strength with carbon fiber.

I am sure this is a very low tech explanation, and will probably draw quite a few responses, but hopefully will answer your question.

For years engineers, sales people, and technologists have debated what exactly to call the material as Andrew Marshall points out in his book Composite Basics, “(from the inception)…the scientists involved could not seem to agree on exactly what it was they were producing, some calling it “carbon fiber”, while other equally qualified authorities termed it, “graphite fiber.”
To see where the debate began and why we feel that the correct term actually is carbon fiber, let’s look at how the material is made. The carbon used in Zipp rims, is actually made by extruding and refining PAN: poly-acrylonitrile, fibers to a diameter between 5 and 7 microns. Theses fibers exhibit the highest tensile and compressive strengths of any of the carbon-based fibers, while being the least dense, making them ideal for strong, lightweight components. Numerous time and energy intensive steps are required to convert PAN to carbon fiber, beginning with Oxidation, followed by Carbonization and Graphitization. The final step of graphitization, which is generally considered under the umbrella of carbonization, is likely the origin of the term “graphite” when used in this context. Graphitizing typically occurs just after carbonizing, and is analogous to the heat treatment of steel. The difference, however, is that the temperatures of carbonization must held below about 2500° C to avoid actually turning the carbon into pure graphite, while the time duration is much longer for the carbonization of the fibers to improve integrity and produce ideal molecular structure. Care must be taken as a quick blast at 2800° C can turn the carbon into pure graphite, losing all structural integrity of the product.

So what we know as carbon fibre can alternatively be called graphite as well. As the article states, there are still debates about what the material should be called - and it explains why.

Then theres graphite - the graphite that is used in pencils - not the carbon fibre/graphite mentioned above. The article states that graphite is made simply by increasing the temerature (300 degrees c). This process yields a completely different material that posses none of the characteristics of carbon fibre/graphite.

Then it talks about why their bike wheels kick butt :)

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the posting...
I was wondering about this when I was thinking.. the "CF" components are popular now. and "graphite composite" Guitars has been around for over 2 decades.. Just wondering are those "graphite" guitars " actually "CF" guitars? they claim to be indestructible and never wear out.

Back