So who ended up with this deal...

Jeez!
Anyone here ?
Called him yesterday and, to no surprise, it was sold.....
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/car/127826545.html

"1991 ACURA NSX 5SPD 22K MILES BLACK - $24500
1991 Acura Nsx 5spd Black with White Leather Seats. 22k miles ,Vehicle is in excellent condition...Fully loaded, clean....everything original/stock if interested plz call"

-j-

Last edited:
Dudes, this was the thread I was going to start about the one that got away. I am still cracking myself in the head about it. I saw the original listing on Sunday night, within a couple hours of it being posted. No pic on the 1st listing. I immediately said "SCAM" and didn't do anything. My thoughts kept going back to it though, over and over and over. SCAM SCAM SCAM. The next day, he posted again, this one with a pic. He had a number. I still figured it was a scam, but hey, it was a local #. I had an image of buying this car and finding out it was stolen later, and I'd be out the money. I called my CU to make sure they'd finance me on it. I thought about it some more. I finally convinced myself that it wouldn't hurt to just see the car, so I called the guy Monday night. He said he already had a deposit on it. I figured if it was a scam, he would have invited me to look at it, so I realized it was probably legit. I gave him my number and told him to call me if the deal fell through. I called him again yesterday, feeling desparate, and he said the buyer was on his way to pick the car up. I am so hurting now that I didn't call Sunday night and go look at it Monday morning. I could have bought it that day. I think maybe the seller looked up the KBB value and listed it $500 over, maybe not knowing what they really go for? I can't figure it out. These things simply do not happen. Unless it was a salvage title... Please someone tell me it was a salvage title so I can sleep at night. :mad:

Daedalus said:
Dudes, this was the thread I was going to start about the one that got away. These things simply do not happen. :mad:
My deal was similar but it took 13 months to "happen". Found mine on a thurs night and was at the guys doorstep the next morning 200miles away.
-j-

Daedalus said:
Dudes, this was the thread I was going to start about the one that got away. I am still cracking myself in the head about it. I saw the original listing on Sunday night, within a couple hours of it being posted. No pic on the 1st listing. I immediately said "SCAM" and didn't do anything. My thoughts kept going back to it though, over and over and over. SCAM SCAM SCAM. The next day, he posted again, this one with a pic. He had a number. I still figured it was a scam, but hey, it was a local #. I had an image of buying this car and finding out it was stolen later, and I'd be out the money. I called my CU to make sure they'd finance me on it. I thought about it some more. I finally convinced myself that it wouldn't hurt to just see the car, so I called the guy Monday night. He said he already had a deposit on it. I figured if it was a scam, he would have invited me to look at it, so I realized it was probably legit. I gave him my number and told him to call me if the deal fell through. I called him again yesterday, feeling desparate, and he said the buyer was on his way to pick the car up. I am so hurting now that I didn't call Sunday night and go look at it Monday morning. I could have bought it that day. I think maybe the seller looked up the KBB value and listed it $500 over, maybe not knowing what they really go for? I can't figure it out. These things simply do not happen. Unless it was a salvage title... Please someone tell me it was a salvage title so I can sleep at night. :mad:
You see something like this, you gotta jump on it. You snooze, you lose.

It's hard to comprehend why you waited, in light of the fact it's a local #.

I remember last year when a similar deal came out. As soon as I found out about it, I called the seller. It was already sold.

I saw this as well. Figured it was either a scam or salvage. Oh well. Do I really need another NSX for $20,000? My answer ..... NO :biggrin: Hopefully we will find out who the lucky buyer was, and if it is salvaged or not.

Even scammers have phone numbers. Why would someone sell a car less than its worth?

Been in the car buying and reselling business for too long to see something like this.

Only time I bought a car for extremely less than its worth was because it had odometer rollback issues, simple fixes, or accident history. Other than that was that person was into gambling and needed the funds right away to pay off the bookies.

Stick-e-rice said:
Even scammers have phone numbers. Why would someone sell a car less than its worth?

Been in the car buying and reselling business for too long to see something like this.

Only time I bought a car for extremely less than its worth was because it had odometer rollback issues, simple fixes, or accident history. Other than that was that person was into gambling and needed the funds right away to pay off the bookies.
It happens occassionally. It happened last year, to the NSX that I was calling about to buy.

There are certainly a lot of scams. That doesn't mean a legitimate deal that is a steal for the buyer can't come along every once in a while.

I second with what the person said about "jumping" on the deal. You have to contact the person, and arrange to see the car immediatly. I have got several deals like that. I remember about a year 1 1/2 ago I caught a deal on a 92' White/onyx NSX w/ 22k miles here on Prime. I am in Orlando and the car was in San Fransico. The owner was eager to get rid of it. I got in early on the guys post and called him. He immediatly sent more pictures and I had a wire transfer set up and had tickets out to San Fransisco for the next day. I am a used car dealer so I do look for these deals often on Autotrader, cars.com, etc. I ended up getting the NSX for $24,000 with a Tubi exhaust that I took off and later sold here on Prime. If I was in the area l would have definetly got in contact and taken a visit to see the NSX. Sounded like a great deal. Wish I would have known:frown:

The irony is that if the seller was asking several thousand more, I would have taken it seriously. Really, you guys that say these deals happen, you've actually bought cars that you could reasonably expect to sell the very same week for over $10k more than what you paid for it? One example was given--any others? Based on my research here on prime, an excellent, low-mileage, non-salvage NSX typically sells for mid-high thirties (please correct me if I'm wrong). The only time a deal like this will happen is when the seller is not well-informed--any other reason, and it's probably not much of a deal. It's hard to believe anyone would sell such a valuable item without first spending a couple minutes on autotrader, ebay, edmunds, etc. "Needs the money fast" only goes so far as an excuse. He could have asked $30k and sold it just as fast. I'm not saying this wasn't a legit deal--it could have been--but it was too incredible to feel comfortable about.

I have to believe some NSX owners, just some, live in an NSXPRIMEless world, and know little about cars. Some of them have to have just checked the KBB and NADA, and then sold their car for $24K.

any car you find from $20-$26,000 I wouldn't automatically dismiss as a scam or wrecked car... is $10,000 savings worth a phonecall and a 50mile drive? it is to me. What's the harm in inquiring.

just in case the seller is uneducated. it's worth 15 minutes.

I learned my lesson a few months ago when I let a blk/blk 91 wth 14K get by for $29,000:eek: I forgot to check the web listings ONE day during my search for my next nsx:frown: wasn't the color I really wanted since my last one was blk/blk BUT 14K miles was a STEAL!!! I finally got a hold of the old guy and he said it sold within hours of posting it on autotrader.com...
Dude said "I think I might have asked a little low for it?" I told him he prob could have got $6-8K more easily...It had 14482 miles on it....The old man sold it for low KBB....I informed him that KBB was good for civics, NOT NSX's!!! He had no idea about his own cars worth....So after that happened I checked daily, until I finally found the color(silver/black) that I was lookin for and hopped on it quick when I found it:biggrin:

you should be bitter for letting that one go with out a look:mad:

oh well, now you know...the ones that are asking $9000 for an '01 are SCAMS....$24,500 for a 91 with 22K is an old man who has no clue:eek:

good luck!!!

Daedalus said:
The irony is that if the seller was asking several thousand more, I would have taken it seriously. Really, you guys that say these deals happen, you've actually bought cars that you could reasonably expect to sell the very same week for over $10k more than what you paid for it? One example was given--any others? Based on my research here on prime, an excellent, low-mileage, non-salvage NSX typically sells for mid-high thirties (please correct me if I'm wrong). The only time a deal like this will happen is when the seller is not well-informed--any other reason, and it's probably not much of a deal. It's hard to believe anyone would sell such a valuable item without first spending a couple minutes on autotrader, ebay, edmunds, etc. "Needs the money fast" only goes so far as an excuse. He could have asked $30k and sold it just as fast. I'm not saying this wasn't a legit deal--it could have been--but it was too incredible to feel comfortable about.
When i first decided to look for an NSX, in the first week I passed on a 64k mile one for 25k.
I know, I know.
Needless to say it only took me a few weeks of looking to realize what i had done.
And like I said before, it was 13 months later when I found the next "deal".
So if you are patient and persistent they are out there.
-j-

SORRY GUYS! Thats my new NSX!! Yeah, I was the 6th person to call him since his friend first posted it. I was lucky enough to be the first person he let come down see it though. I dropped a $500 deposit immediately and paid cash for it within 2-3 days and yes, the baby is in my hands!:biggrin:

The story was this, I was looking at a 96 NSX-T for $40k. My plan was to go pick it up the day after. I checked up Craigslist, not thinking that I would really find an NSX, since its rare that any NSX's are ever on there. We're about 20 miles away from this guy, so we decided to come down to see it immediately. My buddy and I drove down there, and halfway through, we said to each other.. "what are we getting ourselves into?" We also said that we wouldn't be surprised if it was someone selling something else that he thought was an NSX! The deal just seemed to be too good to be true! But once we got off the freeway, we were like DAMN!, neighborhood doesn't look too nice at all!! But following the directions given, once we made a turn up that hill, those houses were new, big, and gorgeous! We knew that it was legit once we saw the wealthy looking neighborhood up that hill! We knew that it was some wealthy guy that just wanted to get rid of one of his toys. And that was that! I got my first NSX! This car was so well maintained and in perfect condition, inside and out!

Last edited:
Daedalus said:
Lucky bastard! Congrats though. Hope I find another deal like it. Was he just clueless as to the car's value?

I believe so. He had a modded SL55 AMG and a few other high end cars. Don't want to name all his cars just in case he's not okay with that. The NSX was just another car sitting there I guess. He was running out of space so he gave me that sick ass deal! :biggrin: :biggrin:

oh btw, I didn't even pay as much as he was asking for! LOL

jdmsoarer said:
I believe so. He had a modded SL55 AMG and a few other high end cars. Don't want to name all his cars just in case he's not okay with that. The NSX was just another car sitting there I guess. He was running out of space so he gave me that sick ass deal! :biggrin: :biggrin:

oh btw, I didn't even pay as much as he was asking for! LOL
I'm sooo jealous...

Im jealous too...wish I had a great deal on my car..but o well what can you do!!!! Still love my baby and still think it's worth every penny!!!:biggrin:

Back