So I'm considering JH4NA1183ST000541

I've always had a soft spot for an NSX since I was younger, I'm currently 22, and today I ran across a used MY95 that caught my attention.

The girlfriend and I decided to stop and take a look to see what they were asking for it. It's Formula red with tan interior and has 80k miles on the odometer. Although the tag on the keys stated "No Test Drives", I was somehow offered to take it around the block. Upon this test drive, I noticed there was a clunking noise coming from the rear and due to the sales lady yapping her jaw the whole time, I was unable to really listen to see what it could possibly be. Before I ask all sorts of questions as to what I should look for, I'm going to do some researching on the board and if I don't find any answers then I'll start asking.

They are asking $28k for it and as I have already indicated, it has 80k miles. According to CarFax, no accidents have been reported but I don't always rely on those. From what I was able to inspect, the car's body appeared to be all straight and true besides the front bumper recently being re-sprayed due to rock chips (the dealership actually had this done). The interior seems to be in good shape and all the electrical things worked although I noticed that the windows were slow going up and down, I'm assuming the window regulators will need to be replaced. With what details I have provided, do you feel this is an ok deal? If so, I'll buy it this next week.

What are your thought and any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Steve

the price seems pretty good.

i would make sure that the clutch was done, along with the timing belt/wp and engine seals, as the time to service all of those is about right. right there you are looking at a few grand...but i think the lowered price point reflects the needed service.

even with the economy how it is, i think the car, if all the service was done with no mechanical problems, should still fetch in the low 30K range, thus the discounted price seems about right.

Inspect all the records first. A typical clunky sound could be the clutch.
You may be buying a new clutch ($2000), water pump/ belts and seals that will all be expensive unless this has been done recently. How is tire tread? Tires (that are safe) will cost at least $1000 for a set.

If the maintenance isn't up to date you could quickly have an extra $5000 in it. Good luck - the price isn't bad if it is clean and good to go.

Inspect all the records first. A typical clunky sound could be the clutch.
You may be buying a new clutch ($2000), water pump/ belts and seals that will all be expensive unless this has been done recently. How is tire tread? Tires (that are safe) will cost at least $1000 for a set.

If the maintenance isn't up to date you could quickly have an extra $5000 in it. Good luck - the price isn't bad if it is clean and good to go.

+1 I would see how low they will accept. Offer them 25-26 factoring in the $5k worth of repair it may need.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ansmission=Manual&max_price=39999&cardist=548

Looks nice.

I am pretty sure this belonged to a friend of the owner of the dealership. And I believe that they had records of previous tbwp and clutch at some point. Also make sure the pass rear quarter has nothad paint work. I think this may be one that had been sprayed on that panel.. I dont know for sure I look at so many of them:confused:

NSXFriend - Yes, that the car I am currently looking at. Thanks for taking the time to find the ad and posting it.

I thought I would give everyone an update from yesterday as I decided to give the car a through look over as the first time I looked at it, the sun was on it's way down.

Exterior:
As I have indicated in my original post, the front bumper has been sprayed due to rock chips, etc. There are the usual fine scratches as with any 14 year old car. I noticed that the rear bumper is a shade darker then the rest of the car which made me also notice that there are no VIN # tags to be found on the doors, front fenders, etc. The sales lady tried convincing me that they did not apply VIN # tags back in '95. (she must think I'm dumb or something). This has me pretty worried even though the CarFax does not indicate any previous accidents.

Interior:
The left bolster on the driver side seat has some cracking in the leather but no rips/tears. The cup holder cover is hard to open. The center console surround around the stereo will need to be replaced as the finish has wrinkled on the right side. With the interior being tan in color, it could use a good cleaning but I've definitely seen worse. The window regulators will need to be replaced as both the driver and passenger side windows were very slow to move up and down.

Mechanical:
Well the battery had to be jumped. We had to jump the battery the other night when I looked at it as well so either the battery is just old or the alternator will need to be replaced. Once we were able to get the car to start, I noticed that there is quite a bit of valve ticking. With the car stationary, I was turning the steering wheel left and right and noticed that there is a thud which you can hear and feel. With the dealership not being able to provide documentation proving that the water pump and timing belt being replaced, I'll have to assume that these will need to be replaced.

Below I have listed the items that I feel will need attention and use as a bargaining tool as well.
  • Timing Belt and Water Pump
  • Alternator
  • Rear Tires
  • Window Regulators
  • Center Console Surround
  • Cup Holder Lid
  • Front Passenger Side Turn Signal (current one cracked)
  • Rear Brake Pads

I am currently in the process of finding a reputable shop in the Atlanta area to have the car checked out for anything I may missed. Any recommendations?

What do feel this car is worth with the issues I have listed above?

they did not have vin tags on body panels until 2000 and rear bumpers on a lot of nsx's i've seen can be about a 1/2 shade off.

also, nsx's if not driven can run the battery dead within 2-4 weeks. i suspect nothing is wrong there, but if something is, it would likely just be the battery.

the slow windows are also probably not a problem and just a symtom of the weak battery, even with a strong battery they aren't very fast.

hope this helps - overall sounds like you are pretty good at looking at cars and noticing items, but the car seems like a very good deal based on what you are describing

Last edited:
My NSX ticks as well on idle. I've been told that they are the fuel injectors, and Honda makes loud fuel injectors. I had a 2006 Civic and yes, you could hear the injectors tick when you are outside the car.

Make sure you do a compression test on the motor. Nothing more costly than having to rebuild the motor on this car.

You should also try to test drive other NSX. I know this is very difficult to do with owners reluctant to do test drives. But this will give better indication what is normal on this car.

Last edited:
Purchased new from Delray Acura on 06/02/1995

Looks like last recorded mileage was 78,818 on 03/24/08 when they got a battery replaced under warranty/goodwill. Wonder how they got Acura to foot that bill?

I appreciate you looking up that information. Is there anything else within your system that I should know about?

Back