So, I imported my NSX to Japan.

Hey everyone, good to be back on Prime.

This thread is sort of a continuation of my “So, I moved to Tokyo” thread, but different.

These past two years I was back in California earning money, finishing up some customer cars, and my own car. I visited Japan at least once a year while working, but it definitely was bittersweet every time I had to leave.

So roughly 9 months ago I decided enough was enough and start the process of moving back to Japan, but this time to the Osaka area (I live about an hour away from the city in a rural area called Wakayama) AND with my beloved NSX.

“But Jawn! Why not just sell your USDM NSX and buy a JDM one!?”
^literally 88% of people’s first response when I tell them I’m moving my car to the mother country.

It’s an interesting question, and honestly, one i grappled with for a while. The options were definitely vast.

I considered selling my NSX, and starting over in Japan with another; albeit this would require more money from me as the cost of an MT NSX in Japan is likely far more than what I would be able to get for my car in the US given the state it was in prior to shipping.

- front bumper needed replacement (too far gone for repaint)

- damage to the rear right quarter panel

- would have be returned to close to stock for max $$$

For the amount of work considered I figured my car might be worth about -75k to the right buyer…but it’s worth a lot more to me.

Factors that led to me keeping the car;

- owned it for 16 years, I know it inside and out

- tons of rare or custom made parts that would be impossible to replicate in another build

- zero rust or significant damage. All Japanese NSXs struggle with corrosion/rust

- will end up being cheaper to ship my car than buy another in Japan.

Simply put, I figured it would be WAY more fun to have MY NSX with me in Japan than trying to start from scratch.

But I digress a bit. Let’s start from the beginning with pics and move on from there. This thread is going to be a photo/video dump for my adventures in Japan with my NSX.

Any questions or comments please post up!

IMG_9234.jpegIMG_9237.jpeg

This is the car as it was in February of this year. Not pictured but also missing are; front fenders, bumper, complete interior (removed for HVAC rebuild), Engine, and Transmission.

I booked a ship date for June of 2024…deadlines approaching!

IMG_0801.jpeg

OS Giken oil pump gear sure has seen better days^^ I honestly am still not sure how this happened

IMG_0888.jpeg

Fourth and fifth gear (countershaft)…again…this was just what I needed to deal with with a looming deadline fast approaching.

IMG_0805.jpeg

NO IDEA what this countshaft was about…but it sure as hell isn’t an OSG part

IMG_0889.jpeg

Was told that “Downforce USA” rebuilt this 6 speed, but it seems that this stamping proves they subcontracted another shop to ruin a fine gearbox.

Brand New case top and clutch housing ordered…it’s only money right?

IMG_1186.jpeg

IMG_1187.jpeg

Ugh the amount of stress this put on me is difficult to put into words.

Hope this works out ok for you.
Thanks, so far so good.
- zero rust or significant damage. All Japanese NSXs struggle with corrosion/rust

Not in my experience!
All of the cars i have seen the bolts, brackets and even aluminum have been heavily corroded. Everyone sees things differently. I haven’t seen many garage queens here (as garages aren’t common) but normal cars that people drive and so far of those…they all have had similar issues.

IMG_1225.jpeg
Back together again, new gears to replace the broken ones, new NSX-R mainshaft, new OSG differential, OSG countershaft, oil pump gear, All new synchros, bearings, and wear items. All blueprinted. I wish I had time to WPC everything, but that will have to wait until I’m not under a crazy deadline.

IMG_1102.jpeg

Made a battery cut off switch so the freight forwarder didnt’ have to deal with this. (They ended up using this AND disconnecting the positive cable anyway)

IMG_1126.jpeg

Front end on and all the pieces back together. Just need a windshield to be ready for shipping on this side of the car. Mine has never been changed in the 15+ years I’ve owned it and it finally had such a horrible crack that I just can’t ignore it anymore…especially with Japanese inspection rules being so stringent.

Wow that is a lot of work, very impressive. Are you going through the compliance yourself or through a firm doing all the paperwork for you?

Impressive work! My wife and I are heading to Japan in a few months, beyond excited. We'll be in Tokyo, Kyoto and Hakone.

Trying to plan a healthy mix of sights and some fun car related things. Any suggestions would be appreciated. PM if easier.

Impressive work! My wife and I are heading to Japan in a few months, beyond excited. We'll be in Tokyo, Kyoto and Hakone.

Trying to plan a healthy mix of sights and some fun car related things. Any suggestions would be appreciated. PM if easier.
Definitely can PM me if you want to ask some questions.
Wow that is a lot of work, very impressive. Are you going through the compliance yourself or through a firm doing all the paperwork for you?
Yeah, it’s been a ton of work and even more paperwork. I have been doing everything myself stateside, and I am having a company I’m friends with help me on the Japan side. Mostly with Customs inspection and Shakken (their version of smog) but I am handling everything else.

IMG_0372.jpeg

Loaded in the container! Gonna be her home for at least 3 weeks. This picture was taken by the forwarding company…not me so please excuse the potato phone picture.

I have been monitoring the progress of the container as it is on its journey. IMG_1273.jpeg
Day one, departing from LA port

IMG_1274.jpeg

Day three: it apparently stopped by Oakland to pick up some other cargo…LAME! I want my car!!

IMG_1281.jpeg

Day five: now we are on our way!

great to see you will have your car and dog together in Japan

IMG_1282.jpeg

Moving at 9 knots is still surprisingly fast considering that boat weighs as much as some small trains.

IMG_1289.jpeg

Been nervous about this transport and seeing my precious cargo in the middle of nowhere is supper scary.

Back